Retired #23: David Myers - Retiring at the end of the season - 20/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 23. David Myers

I was sort of under the impression he played a bit like Jesse Smith from the Roos. Would someone who has actually seen quite a bit of him please comment on this.

I was sort of under the impression he played a bit like Jesse Smith from the Roos. Would someone who has actually seen quite a bit of him please comment on this.

That is actually quite a good comparison as a player. I think he is more midfield based than Smith who loves to run and create coming out of defense, however when Myers plays in defense he is very similar to Smith. Both are elite kicks, nice marks, taller utility/midfielder types and have a lot of toe. You can see the similarities in the pair.

For mine David Myers has parts of Pendlebury but isn't exactly the same like some think. Pendlebury runs forward of the play a lot, and isn't exactly the type of player that would break away on a run. He is more a creative player with elite evasiveness with more time on his hands than others.

Myers is different. He loves to have a run, get his teammates involved by linking up and has a good defensive side to his game.
Myers looks to have the build that will be able to burst through the middle and break tackles, while releasing the ball on to a teammates chest. Pendlebury wouldn't really be bursting away from any packs, he is much more in the vain or Nick Dal Santo, calmly spotting up an option and creating play.

Myers has the tools to be an all round gun player for our club and will be playing his own brand of football. He isn't the next Judd, Pendlebury or Luke Hodge he is David Myers. Yes he has features of all 3 of those players mentioned in his game but his really his own player and we will all love it that way.

That is actually quite a good comparison as a player. I think he is more midfield based than Smith who loves to run and create coming out of defense, however when Myers plays in defense he is very similar to Smith. Both are elite kicks, nice marks, taller utility/midfielder types and have a lot of toe. You can see the similarities in the pair.

For mine David Myers has parts of Pendlebury but isn't exactly the same like some think. Pendlebury runs forward of the play a lot, and isn't exactly the type of player that would break away on a run. He is more a creative player with elite evasiveness with more time on his hands than others.

Myers is different. He loves to have a run, get his teammates involved by linking up and has a good defensive side to his game.
Myers looks to have the build that will be able to burst through the middle and break tackles, while releasing the ball on to a teammates chest. Pendlebury wouldn't really be bursting away from any packs, he is much more in the vain or Nick Dal Santo, calmly spotting up an option and creating play.

Myers has the tools to be an all round gun player for our club and will be playing his own brand of football. He isn't the next Judd, Pendlebury or Luke Hodge he is David Myers. Yes he has features of all 3 of those players mentioned in his game but his really his own player and we will all love it that way.

Calm down King Pin, no one has seen him play an AFL game, so until then let the comparisons fly, those in the know can already see that he's going to be something special so lets just stick with that.

Myers has the skills of Dal Santo, and glides around like Pendlebury...! ;)

Calm down King Pin, no one has seen him play an AFL game, so until then let the comparisons fly, those in the know can already see that he's going to be something special so lets just stick with that.

haha in short he has some great attributes similar to the players people are comparing him to but he will be his own player. Better? ;)

Myers has the skills of Dal Santo, and glides around like Pendlebury...!
Out of all the players he's been compared to, Pendlebury is the closest to the mark IMO. Myers has alot of similar attributes to Pendlebury, but the only major difference between the two is that Pendlebury uses his evasiveness and sidestepping ability to get away from other players where as Myers just simply likes to run away from his opponents.

But as King James said, Myers is Myers and he will become his own player.

BTW, Pendlebury's skills are probably just as good as Dal Santo's

Just watched the footage on youtube and I have to say I am seriously impressed. I lost count of how many times I saw him at the drop of the ball or in a pack winning the footy and somehow feeding it through everyone to a teamate.

Its hard not to get excited about the future of our club when you see stuff like this :)

I'm not sure if I agree with that.

Hodge is a real 'body' midfielder, he's dynamic because of his pure strength. Myers doesn't, and probably will never, have Hodge's amount of body strength.

Myers isn't really the typically tough midfielder, he's more of a bolter and would leave Hodge cold in the pace department.

However, he could well end up filling a similar role to Hodge off half back, he'd just do it a bit differently.

I was comparing how similar the two move (Running and kicking action) when playing across HB (Most of Myers footy last year was played off HB). Not how Hodge plays when he is on the ball, which is completely different.

Of course Hodge has the bigger size at the moment, hence me not comparing the two as 'players'. I'm sure Myers will develop his game and his body over the next few years.

Maybe then we pick up where we have left off.....

Just watched the footage on youtube and I have to say I am seriously impressed. I lost count of how many times I saw him at the drop of the ball or in a pack winning the footy and somehow feeding it through everyone to a teamate.

Its hard not to get excited about the future of our club when you see stuff like this :)

You don't get bombertv? :eek:

The comparisons were made with a harder Pendlebury, good in traffic but not an inside midfielder but certainly not a Fiora outside flanker either. Morton was a better kick (slightly) but because of his softness he will be less effective at the highest level, I don't see that with Myers because he can cut it in close.

Get his running capacity up and hopefully you will see some 50 meter inside 50's onto the chest of Lloyd

If West Coast weren't so desperate for first dibs inside midfielders after the loss of Judd and Cousins you would think they would go for Myers at 3, I certainly thought so at the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you remember some of the things he said Dusty?

Dermott is a good judge of a youngster imo.

Dermott was most impressed with his decision making (Particuarly in close), the best he had seen from a kid for ages (Massive wrap).
His ability to get penetration on kicks when under pressure.

Derm also talked about how Haw wanted Lonergan as a 3rd rounder, but went with someone else. Has alot of time for Lonergan.
But his biggest rapt was for Jetta. He wanted Haw to draft, Derm likes his cheekiness and spunk and the fact the kid can play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back