AFL Player #24: Nick Bryan

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's listed at 203cm yet I reckon he's easily 204cm.

Wright's 203cm and Nick towers over him.

Or at least it looked like he did in a photo from last Friday.

He was in heels

Has the looks and size to be the next Tommy Bellchambers when it comes to repping at the spring carnival.

Just needs a few successful seasons and a taste for the high life.

Size?

100kgs at his height is KPP weight and not particularly heavy. Hardly the weight required to be smashing anyone.

Look at him next to Stewart who is supposed to be 99kg. Even if Bryan is somehow heavier he's not as dense.

Still got a lot of filling out to do.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BrunoV you're pretty vocal about Bryan playing, I'd love to see it but as ant555 mentioned, he may not be a natural forward and is much better suited to playing as a ruck where we already have a decent enough guy in that position.

Serious question, if Nick feels he is ready, what's he worth on the open market because with VFL football on show, he will be drawing some serious attention because I can't think of too many more better than him developing yet ready to step up.

BrunoV you're pretty vocal about Bryan playing, I'd love to see it but as ant555 mentioned, he may not be a natural forward and is much better suited to playing as a ruck where we already have a decent enough guy in that position.

Serious question, if Nick feels he is ready, what's he worth on the open market because with VFL football on show, he will be drawing some serious attention because I can't think of too many more better than him developing yet ready to step up.

I am not a fan of doubling down on mistakes, whether to save face or not, so whether or not he was developed in position is not a reason to waste the opportunity to develop him now.

What would be the net difference between him and Baldwin and would it make us relevantly worse is all that matters at this point in time.

I also dont want to lose sight of the reality that Bryan is not ready. He couldn't possibly believe he is when he is being thrown around by those who would be his competitors.

Draper is 3 years ahead and naturally much bigger and he still looks immature.

I am not a fan of doubling down on mistakes, whether to save face or not, so whether or not he was developed in position is not a reason to waste the opportunity to develop him now.

What would be the net difference between him and Baldwin and would it make us relevantly worse is all that matters at this point in time.

I also dont want to lose sight of the reality that Bryan is not ready. He couldn't possibly believe he is when he is being thrown around by those who would be his competitors.

Draper is 3 years ahead and naturally much bigger and he still looks immature.
So we are playing one undeveloped guy in front of an another undeveloped guy because the unpeopled guy was not ready ?
Why exactly would you not play your young forward in a position that he would play in so you could play your ruck there even though Bryan will need to play forward as well ? If anything we need to fast track Baldwin as that KPF post is a spot we need to fill hence he gets first shot and he had better form through the pre season.

seeing norfs tall setup should seriously temper any expectation that we bring bryan in as a fwd

seeing the ball ping straight back out of their fwd line consisting of Larkey, CCJ and one of goldy or Xerri is enough proof for me.

So we are playing one undeveloped guy in front of an another undeveloped guy because the unpeopled guy was not ready ?
Why exactly would you not play your young forward in a position that he would play in so you could play your ruck there even though Bryan will need to play forward as well ? If anything we need to fast track Baldwin as that KPF post is a spot we need to fill hence he gets first shot and he had better form through the pre season.

Yep. We're playing a guy we know will be a player and waiting for the other guy to prove he could be.

Can we make him into a pure fwd?

We have our ruck stock well covered now, first time in a long time. Seems a waste when our tall fwd stocks are clearly lacking.

Is the question on Bryan on whether he becomes good enough to replace Wright, or Draper?
Curious if he's pure ruck or has the ability to be a backup ruck, resting tall fwd as per Wright's role

No for 2 reasons. I dont believe there is any real doubt that the plan is for Bryan to be a 10 year/200 game player in tandem with Draper. This will require him to develop a game as a forward. Having seen Draper develop, as a reference point for what an extremely raw tall looks like, I am extremely confident Bryan will be the player we want him to be.

Following on from that, I see this as a perfect opportunity to get games into Bryan despite the reality Bryan doesn't yet have the game as a forward. We should compare the likely output and contribution (rucking to allow Wright to stay forward) to that of Baldwin not some idea.

Baldwin should at least show he is a clear level above VFL standard (which is largely about whether he has the overall mobility required to be a long term player). It's not a smart use of the opportunity presented to us to punt on the kid in his first handful of games coming back from 2 knee recos.

It's Bryan specific. I'm not suggesting Eyre, for example, because he doesn't have basis of some very strong VFL games (and even a solid AFL debut). It's equally as unclear whether he can be an AFL player.

You're not going to lear much at this early stage with the guys you know little about because its too easy to attribute the bad to inexperience.

Still think that Bryan has not showed much at all as a forward despite my opinion on how good he may be as a ruck. My opinion is Baldwin and to a lesser extent Eyre have done more as forwards. Lets face it he played so little forward in the 7 VFL games last year that he did not kick a goal. He was pretty much the same at under 18 level. Did not do much at all as a forward.
I hope they can develop his game as he will need to be able to hold down a forward spot but I would not be saying they should be doing that in the AFL.

I quite like what Philips brings but surely we should be looking to the future and playing Bryan?

Or has he just been not that good in the VFL.
We can be patient with him I think

Remove this Banner Ad

Back