AFL Player #24: Nick Bryan

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean, they had Fullerton and Archie Smith who have both rucked at AFL level and can get off the ground, it’s not as if he was going against a random from the VAFA or something

Archie Smith got a corkie early. It was Fullerton and another Smith who they picked up 19/20 who is a lump of a lad.

Interesting thing about Archie Smith is that he's rocking Ryan O'Connor's sized thighs.

I can understand not using him against Grundy but he looks extremely promising to me, particularly just his general skills stand out as being much better than ruckman level. He's also pretty advanced for his age by ruckman standards so hopefully we'll give him some games soon whilst Draper is out.

I can understand not using him against Grundy but he looks extremely promising to me, particularly just his general skills stand out as being much better than ruckman level. He's also pretty advanced for his age by ruckman standards so hopefully we'll give him some games soon whilst Draper is out.
I'd be pretty shocked if he didn't get a game against Carlton or GWS the next two weeks.

Maybe a blessing in disguise the AFL allowed Brisbane as much time as they needed to get the picks to get Coleman (who looks good as well). But an athletic freak tall man with class is rare - hopefully can develop some forward craft.

Thought he ran out of gas after half time. Was great in the first quarter.
Personally I just want to see him playing games in the VFL right now. Still think he needs to build up a bit more endurance.

Personally I just want to see him playing games in the VFL right now. Still think he needs to build up a bit more endurance.

100% this

No need to rush the kid(s) in. Wasn’t exactly up against it (Max Lynch) and torched him in q1.

Wasn’t a great day for talls however his work rate was impressive (even when gassed still popped up in D50).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also want him to play forward at some stage as that's going to have to be a part of his game.

Bryan and Draper will be a great combination but I'd prefer the bash and crash of Draper in the middle for longer and I see a lot of Bryan's game translating forward.

There's no rush. Daniher played a lot of reserves in his first year and struggled when he did play AFL. This is essentially Bryan's first year and he's also starting from a lot further back as a junior.

It'd be nice for Bryan to get a taste at some stage but I think that's all that's required this year.

He did fade against the Pies. Lots of hands on hips and ball watching. It's par for the course for kids this size. He also rucked >90% game time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also want him to play forward at some stage as that's going to have to be a part of his game.

Bryan and Draper will be a great combination but I'd prefer the bash and crash of Draper in the middle for longer and I see a lot of Bryan's game translating forward.

There's no rush. Daniher played a lot of reserves in his first year and struggled when he did play AFL. This is essentially Bryan's first year and he's also starting from a lot further back as a junior.

It'd be nice for Bryan to get a taste at some stage but I think that's all that's required this year.

He did fade against the Pies. Lots of hands on hips and ball watching. It's par for the course for kids this size. He also rucked >90% game time.

The two biggest issues stopping this is our ‘key forwards’ at VFL level and our lack of a supporting ruck at the lower level.

If we had a full compliment, Phillips could ruck at VFL level and we’d ideally have Ambrose, Eyre, VFL KPF, alongside him to allow him to take the third best defender at the level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. It is a big statement but IMO opinion he has the potential to near as good as English. Will need the forward work at some stage.

I read he'd beaten Cox. Was he on Cox in Q1?
No mostly Max Lynch who is a pretty big unit for a 22 year old. Lynch did some handy work as well and finished the day a bit stronger.
He did have some ruck contests with Cox but Cox played 70% forward.

Agree. It is a big statement but IMO opinion he has the potential to near as good as English. Will need the forward work at some stage.

I want to see a bit more in the next few weeks before going as hard at this as I want to.

He's already more than filled the Hank sized hole in my heart.

Last edited:
No mostly Max Lynch who is a pretty big unit for a 22 year old. Lynch did some handy work as well and finished the day a bit stronger.
He did have some ruck contests with Cox but Cox played 70% forward.

It's hard to get a good read on the size difference but Lynch looks pretty short for a ruckman. Well built, but short. Very similar to Stef Martin.

He was basically a non- factor in the centre bounces. Bryan did beat Cox in their 5-7 encounters pretty comprehensively.

Wheras you can't say whether dominating the match-up with Lynch holds up beating Cox does...beating Cox always does.

Max Lynch isn't a good ruck, will be interesting to see how he goes next week against Tom de Koning.

It's hard to get a good read on the size difference but Lynch looks pretty short for a ruckman. Well built, but short. Very similar to Stef Martin.

He was basically a non- factor in the centre bounces. Bryan did beat Cox in their 5-7 encounters pretty comprehensively.

Wheras you can't say whether dominating the match-up with Lynch holds up beating Cox does...beating Cox always does.
Lynch is listed at 200cm and 100kg on the Pies website.

Max Lynch isn't a good ruck, will be interesting to see how he goes next week against Tom de Koning.
He ended up with one less hit out than Bryan .

He ended up with one less hit out than Bryan .
He has very hard hands every time I see him. He's really filled out since 2019, though.

30 hit outs, six clearances against quality opposition in the VFL
Nick Bryan
Stats: 13 disposals, 30 hitouts, two marks, two tackles

“Another good game from Nick Bryan. He’s putting a few together now. He had 30 hitouts and six clearances himself as well which was really good. He competed around the ground and he was playing on two good ruckmen, so another tick for Nick. He’s having a good run of form.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back