AFL Player #24: Nick Bryan

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be getting games into him. Rate him and not sold as draper or goldy as long term solutions.

With draper out and goldy surely in need of rest soon. Should have more of an idea after another 5 - 10 senior games this year.
Yeah, I agree with this. Draper could be done for the year, so bring him in asap rather than wait until our hand is forced.

The only thing that concerns me here is whether we'll cling to Goldy at a point that Bryan has done enough. But Bryan's not there yet.

Bryan is improving. If you look at everything he has done over the last 3 matches it's a pretty complete picture. If it all comes together he'll be fine, if it doesn't I'd be happy to explore a trade.

At this rate he's Rhys Stanley who is a better tap ruck and who might be a better possession accumulator. You trade that guy for value before it's clear that he'll never be more. If he doesn't have the body and it's not in his nature to be physical that is not going to change.

I think we'll see it by the end of the season if it's going to happen. It may not come off, but it should be pretty easy to see and he will certainly get stronger as he matures. He doesn't have to be complete by the end of the season but he has to show clear and consistent physical intent. If he doesn't I'd be happy to be wrong for a pick around 25 to 30 which is what I assume a club would be prepared to pay to break his contract, 5 years of development for a promising ruckman and all that.

I don't rate ruckman who are extra mids. It's not really of any use. Hit outs to advantage, and a big physical presence, in the air and at ground level, is more important than even 20 possessions a mid would be getting anyway.

The only thing that concerns me here is whether we'll cling to Goldy at a point that Bryan has done enough. But Bryan's not there yet.

Bryan is improving. If you look at everything he has done over the last 3 matches it's a pretty complete picture. If it all comes together he'll be fine, if it doesn't I'd be happy to explore a trade.

At this rate he's Rhys Stanley who is a better tap ruck and who might be a better possession accumulator. You trade that guy for value before it's clear that he'll never be more. If he doesn't have the body and it's not in his nature to be physical that is not going to change.

I think we'll see it by the end of the season if it's going to happen. It may not come off, but it should be pretty easy to see and he will certainly get stronger as he matures. He doesn't have to be complete by the end of the season but he has to show clear and consistent physical intent. If he doesn't I'd be happy to be wrong for a pick around 25 to 30 which is what I assume a club would be prepared to pay to break his contract, 5 years of development for a promising ruckman and all that.

I don't rate ruckman who are extra mids. It's not really of any use. Hit outs to advantage, and a big physical presence, in the air and at ground level, is more important than even 20 possessions a mid would be getting anyway.

I rate him, but I’d take pick 30 if it were offered. I think four rucks is one too many, list wise. Goldy one more year, then sign a back up ruck for two years or three years and have VV as your third.

Really, we’re running out of reasons to keep Bryan on the list. Might as well cash in.

Agree .
I am with you on rucks . Give me physical presence. Good hit out to advantage and ability to get around the ground and take some contested marks when need .
If they win the odd clearance then all good but I am only looking for 12 or so possessions and the marking outside of the hit outs .

Was a strange pick at the time. God we missed out heavily during 2018/19 in the draft.

I rate him, but I’d take pick 30 if it were offered. I think four rucks is one too many, list wise. Goldy one more year, then sign a back up ruck for two years or three years and have VV as your third.

Really, we’re running out of reasons to keep Bryan on the list. Might as well cash in.

I do not agree with the last part. It all depends on the player Bryan is becoming in my view.

Having a really good ruck combination is a very valuable thing for a side. It can mask problems or just give a significant competitive advantage against the opposition relief. There are wild momentum swings in games which flow from what is happening at the centre bounces. Having a complimentary ruck duo is likely only to become more important. I like the idea of a 60/40 split between Bryan and Draper with Bryan generally getting more minutes on-ball.

I would also like to get a better look at Visentini. I am very impressed with the guy both forward and in the ruck albeit that it is very early. I think he's already shown the raw ability to replace Wright in the current structure. Stringer is 30 and Wright and Langford will be there before you know it. This is all well inside the timeframe it will likely take Visentini to develop.

If we can make Wright, Jones, Stringer and Langford work with Draper and Goldstein then, as I type this, there is good reason to think that we should be basing our medium to long term planning on Visentini, Jones, Caddy and Langford with Draper and Bryan. Particularly with a sub or 5 interchange.

Maybe it is to slightly underestimate Ryder's physicality but I think Bryan can get to that level. Ryder was not a physically imposing man but he used his body and the size he did have aggressively and to good effect. If Bryan gets to that level, he will be a very good player. I'd only trade him if he's still more Stanley than Ryder in terms of his physical application at the end of the season.

Last edited:
I do not agree with the last part. It all depends on the player Bryan is becoming in my view.

Having a really good ruck combination is a very valuable thing for a side. It can mask problems or just give a significant competitive advantage against the opposition relief. There are wild momentum swings in games which flow from what is happening at the centre bounces. Having a complimentary ruck duo is likely only to become more important. I like the idea of a 60/40 split between Bryan and Draper with Bryan generally getting more minutes on-ball.

I would also like to get a better look at Visentini. I am very impressed with the guy both forward and in the ruck albeit it that it is very early. I think he's already shown the raw ability to replace Wright in the current structure, particularly in a post-Stringer scenario. Stringer is 30 and Wright and Langford will be there before you know it. This is all well inside the timeframe it will likely take Visentini to develop.

If we can make Wright, Jones, Stringer and Langford work with Draper and Goldstein I'd be basing my long term planning on Visentini, Jones, Caddy and Langford with Draper and Bryan. Particularly with a sub or 5 interchange.

Maybe it is to slightly underestimate Ryder's physicality but I think Bryan can get to that level. If he does, he will be a very good player. I'd only trade him if he's still more Stanley than Ryder in terms of his physical application at the end of the season.

I know it dosen't mean much other than genetics but Visentinis brother is developing at a very fast rate, is a brute too. I reckon he's already ahead of sweet over there

I know it dosen't mean much other than genetics but Visentinis brother is developing at a very fast rate, is a brute too. I reckon he's already ahead of sweet over there
watching their game last week vs geelong it was impressive to see how much he’d improved over the off season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would also like to get a better look at Visentini. I am very impressed with the guy both forward and in the ruck albeit that it is very early. I think he's already shown the raw ability to replace Wright in the current structure. Stringer is 30 and Wright and Langford will be there before you know it. This is all well inside the timeframe it will likely take Visentini to develop.

If we can make Wright, Jones, Stringer and Langford work with Draper and Goldstein then, as I type this, there is good reason to think that we should be basing our medium to long term planning on Visentini, Jones, Caddy and Langford with Draper and Bryan. Particularly with a sub or 5 interchange.

Maybe it is to slightly underestimate Ryder's physicality but I think Bryan can get to that level. Ryder was not a physically imposing man but he used his body and the size he did have aggressively and to good effect. If Bryan gets to that level, he will be a very good player. I'd only trade him if he's still more Stanley than Ryder in terms of his physical application at the end of the season.
Is the real elephant in the room Peter Wright and not whether we can pair Bryan with Goldy/Draper but in fact whether we can actually get 2MP to contribute for 20% game time in the ruck?

Is the real elephant in the room Peter Wright and not whether we can pair Bryan with Goldy/Draper but in fact whether we can actually get 2MP to contribute for 20% game time in the ruck?
Is it? He's shown that he's more than good enough as a second ruck.

I don’t think so, no. He’s been fine in his couple of games back in his spurts in the ruck.

Moving forward, it’s gotta be him #2. Its working out who #1 is?

Goldstein? Ancient.
Draper? Body doesn’t appear up to it.
Bryan? TBD. But running Bryan 1 and wright could be the flimsiest pair of rucks going around.

It's just Jon Ralph saying he thinks Bryan should ask for a trade isn't it?
It’s just Bryan’s manager buying Jon Ralph a watch to stir up worry at EFC that Bryan is in demand / might leave so we might extend him… or play him…

Honestly? I see him as a bit of a weak link.

Admittedly it will take a lot for players to go past him in the next few years but we should not rule that out.

I'd prefer more aggression.

FRINGE BOMBER RUCK EXPECTED TO DEPART

Young Essendon tall Nick Bryan is reportedly set to leave the Bombers in pursuit of more opportunity at the top level, after nearly five years at the club for just 14 senior games.

The Herald Sun’s Jon Ralph spoke on the 22-year-old’s potential movement via Fox Footy’s Midweek Tackle last night.

“Nick Bryan, he’s been hugely hyped; I think there were four clubs after him last year as the Essendon ruckman – he decided to stay on a two-year deal,’ Ralph said.

“He was just in okay form, his last two weeks have been absolutely massive though, and I think it’s my pretty strong expectation now that he’s going to have to move on – we know Sam Draper’s the long-term ruckman.

“This is a club that Brad Scott said will play two ruckman; even when Draper was out, Bryan didn’t get a game, so sometimes you just have to move on and get to a second club.”

Given his youth, fellow panellist and Herald Sun journalist Jay Clark played devil’s advocate, wondering why he wouldn’t wait until a veteran teammate retired.

“If contract’s (until) next year, surely he would see that Goldstein’s going to retire sooner rather than later – don’t they need to be a little patient at times?” Clark questioned.

“I think enough clubs out there would say he’s an accomplished ruckman; he’s great with hitouts to advantage – (but) is he an aggressive enough ruckman?” Ralph said in response.

“I think he’ll be on the move.”

I call BS
Jon Ralph is clearly joining the dots but might be a bit in this one Howie as much as I am reluctant to admit it.

To me the brutal truth is if we rated him that highly we wouldn't have gone out and picked up Goldstein and played him ahead of Bryan as well as playing Draper together with him but not doing the same with Bryan.
We've basically sent the message every which way that he's 3rd in line and only there as a break in case of emergency option right now.

I've never really seen it with him but who knows happy to be wrong if he suddenly breaks out.
That said we do definitely need a backup to Draper as Draper is rarely ever fit for an entire season. Definitely not something to count on.

Jon Ralph is clearly joining the dots but might be a bit in this one Howie as much as I am reluctant to admit it.
Ralph is doing what he always does. Looks at the VFL stats of blokes who have not been getting a game and then applying 1=1+3 . A broken clock is right twice a day. Even more so when clubs start feeding the "gettable" line in the background.
My mail is the same as yours on this. A few clubs are keeping an eye on it and there may be something in it if he does not get much of a go. At least we hold control this time around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back