Player Watch #25: Paul Curtis

Remove this Banner Ad

He is uninterested. It's the reason I mark him harshly. Would have to be in the bottom 10% for all forwards in terms of general urgency. Good things happen when he gets the ball, but you're not gonna be getting the ball that consistently as a forward, so you need to find other strings to add
Glad it’s not just me then, people think I’m hating when I point it out while watching games.

I watched him prior to the game last week. Would have had at least 100 shots on goal. Every which way. Round the corner. Banana. Drop punts. Missed about 6. Was unbelievable. The kid has it. He’s in his 3rd season. When the kid hits 100 games will be at the same level as Zurhaar, if not better. When we have him, Duursma, Bull if he stays, Larkey, potentially George, another key forward we recruit and a genuine crumbing forward, that forward line will be potent. And we can still miss on one or two of those. So exciting.

I watched him prior to the game last week. Would have had at least 100 shots on goal. Every which way. Round the corner. Banana. Drop punts. Missed about 6. Was unbelievable. The kid has it. He’s in his 3rd season. When the kid hits 100 games will be at the same level as Zurhaar, if not better. When we have him, Duursma, Bull if he stays, Larkey, potentially George, another key forward we recruit and a genuine crumbing forward, that forward line will be potent. And we can still miss on one or two of those. So exciting.
Doesn't help if he doesn't replicate it in a game consistently. Missed a relatively easy shot on the weekend. If you convert that to compare with your observations at training, he went 50/100, as opposed to 90+/100. And that's been a theme with him. I like him but he's generally been about as trustworthy as a post-curry fart with his set shots

Doesn't help if he doesn't replicate it in a game consistently. Missed a relatively easy shot on the weekend. If you convert that to compare with your observations at training, he went 50/100, as opposed to 90+/100. And that's been a theme with him. I like him but he's generally been about as trustworthy as a post-curry fart with his set shots

He's now kicked multiple goals in his last three games and five of his last nine. Has had a dozen goal assists in the same stretch of games. Has lifted his output after a very slow patch in the middle of last year. He is under 60% on the goals/points ratio. Love to see him push it over 60% as a starting point.

He's now kicked multiple goals in his last three games and five of his last nine. Has had a dozen goal assists in the same stretch of games. Has lifted his output after a very slow patch in the middle of last year. He is under 60% on the goals/points ratio. Love to see him push it over 60% as a starting point.
I like PC so this isn't a jeer - he needs to present himself for more than the few occasions he has so far in the first two games. I see his potential as a goal scorer and score creator to be potentially above Zurhaar's so if PC wants a share of the North treasure chest, he needs to turn potential into reality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like PC so this isn't a jeer - he needs to present himself for more than the few occasions he has so far in the first two games. I see his potential as a goal scorer and score creator to be potentially above Zurhaar's so if PC wants a share of the North treasure chest, he needs to turn potential into reality.

Yep. Definitely has the capability to kick bags and set up plenty more if he can stay in the game longer. Whether it's tank of concentration, hopefully he is busting a gut to improve it.

He is a genuine gun and if went higher in the draft/came from a different area of melbourne/ or played for another club he would be talked about as the next Toby Greene

From my perspective, he is definitely a component of our next flag tilt - if that eventuates in my lifetime. Paul has it all. That goal he scored from the pocket, running at full tilt, was a sight to behold. The degree of difficulty was off the charts. Yet, he made it look so “matter of fact”. I’m absolutely sold on him.

From my perspective, he is definitely a component of our next flag tilt - if that eventuates in my lifetime. Paul has it all. That goal he scored from the pocket, running at full tilt, was a sight to behold. The degree of difficulty was off the charts. Yet, he made it look so “matter of fact”. I’m absolutely sold on him.
He’s one of about six players that will be here in five years.

Which is horrific to think about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back