AFL Player #26: Kaine Baldwin - Out for extended period with stress fracture in foot - 16/2

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought he got better as the game went on. A couple of his tackles were great and showed he wants to be there. He didn't sulk it up because the service was crap. I'm not completely sold on either him or Francis, except that Frank has had a better preseason. Maybe Balls plays VFL this week and gets to kicking some goals.
i'd still prefer Francis in the backline
Jones & Stringer out really hurts as it means he's target #2 up there.

I'd be comfortable running a fwd line of Wright + Stringer + Baldwin, w/Francis down back, but i get the feeling it could be more fluid - Wright & Baldwin, Francis as swing, Perkins and Stringer rotating time on ball/fwd.
Shame Langford and now Martin are out too....fwd line can't take a trick.

I wouldn't have minded giving him another game this week at docklands in the hope we could move the ball a bit quicker and cleaner. But probably the right call to go back to the VFL and build more confidence in his body and game. He's shown good signs and i could see him earning more games this year and having an impact

hopefully they bring him back next week, the geelong smashing was a terrible environment for assessing a debuting key forward and i think dropping him was hasty.

Keep him in the VFL for a few more weeks and see how he goes.

He has missed so much footy, giving him time as 'the man' up forward is invaluable.

Sustained a concussion last week late in the VFL game against Casey and had to sit out the mandatory 12 days under AFL protocols. Been fine since, will join main training this week and put his hand up for Sunday.

From the video

Sustained a concussion last week late in the VFL game against Casey and had to sit out the mandatory 12 days under AFL protocols. Been fine since, will join main training this week and put his hand up for Sunday.

From the video
Fwd selection will be interesting this week.

Continue with 2 rucks plus waterman vs bring in a francis or baldwin...and for who?

With stringer out, wouldnt mind pumping a couple of games into him. Anzac day could be a good one for him to experience too.

I'm interested to hear how Kaine got his goals yesterday for those who watched the VFL. Were they lead/mark, bullocking and out muscling, in play/on the ground etc?

I'm most interested in this guy's development. With him as a more traditional FF and Jones playing a more endurance based KPF game like Nick Reiwoldt did, it has potential to be a decent long term duo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm interested to hear how Kaine got his goals yesterday for those who watched the VFL. Were they lead/mark, bullocking and out muscling, in play/on the ground etc?

I'm most interested in this guy's development. With him as a more traditional FF and Jones playing a more endurance based KPF game like Nick Reiwoldt did, it has potential to be a decent long term duo.

Surely he comes in after 5 in the VFL when we're struggling for targets forward.
Like other's have said, I would of given him a few games after the Geelong match too see what he can do.

Thanks. Would be interesting to hear your thoughts.

Looking at the highlights most contests could be halved by an AFL quality defender with greater size and better team defence, but it's certainly encouraging to see him use his size while adjusting to playing footy again, and at league level against grown men too.

Baldwin in for sure. Agreed. And stays in. Wanganeen too. Let them develop in the main game. Add Bryan also for the same reason. Start his partnership with Draper. Add Voss as soon as he is ready. Leave Waterman in. Roll the young KPD in at every chance. Hobbs stays in. Invest in youth.
Let the older/experienced playyers fight it out to hold their positions. Not the youth unless rest required.
Start new direction immediately.

Kaine Baldwin​

Key stats: Five disposals, 12 marks, six goals

"He presented really well and was really good one-on-one. He kicked five, worked well with 'Jonesy' deep in the forward line and had a pretty impressive game."

Five goals, six goals, back to five goals. 🤷‍♀️

Remove this Banner Ad

Back