Past #27: Will Walker - delisted end '21 - 6 NM games/4 NM goals - go well Walks

Remove this Banner Ad

In the new training vid already looks to have slimmed down more, hasn't packed on muscle or anything but has that ropey look about him with some puppy fat disappearing from around the jaw line.

still a little baffled by this selection. Does anyone know exactly what it is about him that made us take him so early?

I think Walker was a tough one to place because he came on so strong in the second half of the season, sort of out of nowhere.

His stats were pretty compelling, getting 20-25 touches and 2-3 goals a week for half the season including finals

still a little baffled by this selection. Does anyone know exactly what it is about him that made us take him so early?
Finished the year like a freight train apparently. Athletic, knows how to find the footy and the goals. Huge upside.

Was rated by Brett Anderson as a 2nd Rd selection in IF. Champion Data man, Luff, rated him early 20's.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

There's something there. Be patient.

Agree. It's worth tracking back through the draft thread to see the progression in individual player reports on Xerri, Walker, LDU etc that don't always make it into later discussion or player specific threads.

From one of our own observers in August:

Just got done watching the Sandringham vs Oakleigh game. ...
Amongst the other players Trusler, Styles, McLean, Thompson, Nagle and Troiani all had good days, but Will Walker looked to me as the most draftable out of the rest. Is a nice size at 188cm and did some really nice things in the midfield for Sandringham. Is a bit rough around the edges, but if he plays like this every week then I wouldn't be surprised to see him drafted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of a grower. Can't remember where the stats are but his growth from the start of the year to the end was compared to Bontompelli in his draft year.

Averaged 20 touches, 5 clearances and 2.3 goals in 3 finals last year.

Was 1 of 9 in the Tac Cup last year to average 20+ touches and 1+ goals.
The guys to do it and draft position were (the bottom 2 teammates of Walker):
1 Rayner
4 LDU
5 Cerra
10 O'Brien
17 Higgins
22 L Fogarty
23 Walker
36 Constable
68 H Brayshaw

Not a bad munch. Stephenson surprised me that he didn't average a goal a game.

Very skinny at the moment though seems strong for his build. There is something about him. Can win his own ball, moves nicely (nice side step, has a bounce in his step). Needs to improve his kicking a bit but hasn't been playing footy long.

Bit of a grower. Can't remember where the stats are but his growth from the start of the year to the end was compared to Bontompelli in his draft year.
Yes in that he was a late big improver like Bonts. Something like he didn't score below 100 in last 10 games.

Averaged 20 touches, 5 clearances and 2.3 goals in 3 finals last year.

Was 1 of 9 in the Tac Cup last year to average 20+ touches and 1+ goals.
The guys to do it and draft position were (the bottom 2 teammates of Walker):
1 Rayner
4 LDU
5 Cerra
10 O'Brien
17 Higgins
22 L Fogarty
23 Walker
36 Constable
68 H Brayshaw

Not a bad munch. Stephenson surprised me that he didn't average a goal a game.

Very skinny at the moment though seems strong for his build. There is something about him. Can win his own ball, moves nicely (nice side step, has a bounce in his step). Needs to improve his kicking a bit but hasn't been playing footy long.
Thanks mate much appreciated!

You also have to remember that after about pick 12 odd this draft was considered a complete crapshoot. We bet on upside which was the right thing to do.

Played mid when Brayshaw was off at champs and matched his TAC output. Pushed forward when he came back.

Kid can find the footy.

In absolutely no rush and not questioning the selection, just don't know much about him and was looking for some input from others who might know about him.

Came from a soccer background, has real elite movement. Was always considered to be an excellent athlete, but then turned it on in the 2nd half of last year with some real stand out performances. He started to shine when he got midfield minutes while the Brayshaws ect had rep and school footy commitments.

The natural athletic background, plus his growth spurt combined with the massive improvement he showed this year meant he was on the radar of a number of clubs in the 2nd round.

I think it fits into a pattern in our recruiting lately.

Top pick seems to be the classic "best available" with lots of known quantities. Outside that we've gone for players whose upside is greater than their exposed form, i.e., more risk, more upside.

McKay: interrupted draft year where he went back to local footy for a bit
Ahern: Knee recos, cost peanuts
Anderson: injuries, hard 22 to break into, had been highly rated junior
Higgins, Waite: injuries and inconsistency, back in our medical staff
Hrovat: injuries, Boomer connection, Daniel basically took his spot
Morgan: injuries, top-30 pick in his draft year
Marley: out of favour with Bucks, needed a new start, cost peanuts
Hayden: missed a lot of his top-age year with OP
Mountford: Limited scouting data as he entered the elite pathways late(-ish)
Simpkin: broken leg (but was still a no-brainer best available talent at 12)
Walker: cross over from soccer, still on the upward development curve.

Even Murphy and Narrier have at least an elite attribute to work with, rather than honest pluggers like Fordham or McGenniss. In the last 3 years, players traded in or taken in that middling 2nd/3rd round of the draft, only EVW, Clarke and Hibberd are conventional unsurprising picks.

He has this untapped hunger to want the ball in his hands. And hes a decent kick of the footy. His technique isnt that of a kid who picked up a football young.
His ceiling his high. Not sure how much muscle, pace and endurance he'll end up having but put it this way.

He reminds me of Captain America before the guns. Hoping its the same transition for Will.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back