Player Watch #28 Josh Gibcus

Remove this Banner Ad

He probably should have played a month in the VFL first.

No reason to rush him back with the list rebuilding, a crap year projected and guys like Young, Grimes, Broad, Balta, Miller all available to play in the backline.
Why? He did nearly all of pre-season. That injury is no less likely to happen in the VFL. Freak accident.

He probably should have played a month in the VFL first.

No reason to rush him back with the list rebuilding, a crap year projected and guys like Young, Grimes, Broad, Balta, Miller all available to play in the backline.
Fecking Oath!
Too valuable a player to have taken calculated playing risks upon...
Super surprised they played him from the get-go in the Firsts!
Such a big injury to return from for a young physically growing/developing player...
Could have just started him off slowly in the Ressies!
Developed some form, growing confidence and then eased back in...why the rush?!?
Totally mis-managed from the get-go for a young lanky player!
Warning signals came with the Hammy!

Why? He did nearly all of pre-season. That injury is no less likely to happen in the VFL. Freak accident.

I'm not saying it's the reason he did his ACL. That's only a concern during the recovery/return phase of an ACL.

Just suggesting I don't think he should have played 1sts immediately. He started full training around new year and I think a month of competitive football at a less intense level would have benefited his conditioning and confidence.

I'm not saying it's the reason he did his ACL. That's only a concern during the recovery/return phase of an ACL.

Just suggesting I don't think he should have played 1sts immediately. He started full training around new year and I think a month of competitive football at a less intense level would have benefited his conditioning and confidence.
And his body...learning to play and move after a major injury...he's not a seasoned mature footballer...but a lanky young colt!

I blame Charlie Curnow the dog for pushing him off balance... Shattered for the kid, he's a jet

Only just realized that Josh Gibcus now shares some eerie similarities with the great Alex Rance.
Both are defenders, wear number 18, & have ruptured their ACL's playing Carlton in Round 1. :'(

Heartbroken for the guy. Why must we have such bad luck season after season? We lose a game that we shouldn't have from umps, and Gibcus does an ACL after playing really well. Seriously puts a damper on the season, now I'm wishing I lived in an alternate reality where that didn't happen

Of all the picks we have selected since 2020, Gibcus was the one who showed the most upside & I honestly think the asset might already cooked. Awful result for him and the club, they actually competed really strong against the odds this week & they still leave the game in a far worse position than they started, with strong word we are losing Benny, & now potentially Gibcus as an elite prospect. Am I correct that this is the same leg his hamstring issues were in? If so, Its hard to see how that wont severely dampen his biggest strength, his leap & athleticism. It was incredibly hard for Grimes to come back from his early hamstring issues. David Astbury was similar early on, injury riddled with his knees. Gibcus is now both. I would almost put money on him to do doing an achilles on day as well. The way he launches and lands on his feet looks like a career risk every time

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fecking Oath!
Too valuable a player to have taken calculated playing risks upon...
Super surprised they played him from the get-go in the Firsts!
Such a big injury to return from for a young physically growing/developing player...
Could have just started him off slowly in the Ressies!
Developed some form, growing confidence and then eased back in...why the rush?!?
Totally mis-managed from the get-go for a young lanky player!
Warning signals came with the Hammy!

He was lucky he did not do a ACL earlier, some of those awkward landings before should have been a sign of potential risks to come

Still not convinced Gibcus will end up a back.

I think there is a strong chance into the future Gibcus and Balta will be playing forward.

The fact he has done his ACL is another indication he might be better as a forward. If he is a forward, landings and agility like Rance are not as important. Forwards can focus on safe landings because it is more important to mark and kick goals. Bouncing off your feet is handy but not as important as a back, especially as a high flyer. Gibcus, like Balta might be better suited forward. In fact Gibcus might be more aerial whereas Balta a more jack of all trades forward can can drift up as well

Gibcus seems a good kick for goal. Gibcus makes more sense as a forward than Naughton for example

Last edited:
Still not convinced Gibcus will end up a back.

I think there is a strong chance into the future Gibcus and Balta will be playing forward.

The fact he has done his ACL is another indication he might be better as a forward. If he is a forward, landings and agility like Rance are not as important. Forwards can focus on safe landings because it is more important to mark and kick goals. Bouncing off your feet is handy but not as important as a back, especially as a high flyer. Gibcus, like Balta might be better suited forward. In fact Gibcus might be more aerial whereas Balta a more jack of all trades forward can can drift up as well

Gibcus seems a good kick for goal. Gibcus makes more sense as a forward than Naughton for example

Yep forwards don't do ACLs.
Got it.

From marriage analyst to biomechanist.
Brilliant.

That dude has snapped every other thing you possibly can in your leg already & is only 21.

His technique just looks iffy af. Yeah Curnow gives him a small shove, but its pretty standard AFL play. Riewoldt would have had that 1000 times in his career.

I've always assumed that achilles injuries can sometimes be related to hamstring issues as one of the symptons for achilles tendinitis is tightness of the hamstring/calf & often related to a weak posterior chain

Could end up being a what if player
Ruined by injuries, hope not but a real
Worry that he's had a major hamstring
And knee injury at a young age
Hopefully that's the last of it.

Could end up being a what if player
Ruined by injuries, hope not but a real
Worry that he's had a major hamstring
And knee injury at a young age
Hopefully that's the last of it.
Astbury and Grimes were simular to start their careers.
Im guessing Grimes would be very helpful to Gibcus right now
And evern Rance...he wasnt injured but he played VFL 2s until his 3rd or 4th year.
The kid has time

Astbury and Grimes were simular to start their careers.
Im guessing Grimes would be very helpful to Gibcus right now
And evern Rance...he wasnt injured but he played VFL 2s until his 3rd or 4th year.
The kid has time
Even having Lefau who did his ACL as a younger player would be a great support

Remove this Banner Ad

Back