Delisted #28: Mitch Brown - Retired - 20/9/22

Remove this Banner Ad

I love what he does even if he did have a tough night last night, couldn’t get anything to stick.

One thing though... on the lead... get your hands out in front!!! Regularly tries to take it on his chest and has it spoiled. Cmon Mitch, it’s under 12s stuff!
When he marked it out in front, he'd then just get his arms chopped or it punched out of his hands without it being paid. Maybe he was trying to compensate for that

Emblematic of our team. Looks good when the space is there but looks weak and cowardly when hardness is required.

Give us a spell. Cowardly? He’s been very good this year.

He’s not McKernan or Hooker in a contested situation but that’s not his role either.

Give us a spell. Cowardly? He’s been very good this year.

He’s not McKernan or Hooker in a contested situation but that’s not his role either.

Doesn’t go when it’s his turn. So yes cowardly. In good teams it’s everyones role, it’s a non negotiable. They don’t exist at Essendon.

A very good role player

Against poor teams. His role doesn’t exist in tight games. He’s played 7 games against top eight teams, for 6 goals. Three of them came against the Lions when they were still playing inconsistent football. Remove that game and he’s got three goals from 6 games.

It will be against all evidence if he offers us something next game.

He’s got a lot out of himself the last two years for us, but he doesn’t have the tools required to offer us something going forward.

Against poor teams. His role doesn’t exist in tight games. He’s played 7 games against top eight teams, for 6 goals. Three of them came against the Lions when they were still playing inconsistent football. Remove that game and he’s got three goals from 6 games.

It will be against all evidence if he offers us something next game.

He’s got a lot out of himself the last two years for us, but he doesn’t have the tools required to offer us something going forward.

I’ll take a goal a game, good finishing and a lot of spread from him.

Could see him kicking 30-35 in a year with more consistent service from the midfield. At worse he’s bloody good depth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ll take a goal a game, good finishing and a lot of spread from him.

Could see him kicking 30-35 in a year with more consistent service from the midfield. At worse he’s bloody good depth

I don’t disagree that he is an okay player but he can’t play a contested or pressure based game and we can’t build a premiership winning system with a bloke afraid of contact.

The problem with Mitch is he has never been a contested marking player. Going way back to under 18 when he had a small period that built his reputation in between injury it was more his ability to leap over blokes that caught the eye. A few broken legs have taken care of his leap so as a forward his value is his running power and being able to be the third or fourth forward. His best is when he can play like Tom Lynch from the Crows. It is no real surprise that when he has to be the first or second target he is not as good because it is not his go. He is a mobile lead up flanker and not a KPF despite being 196 cm.
He is a good depth players as he can play a role in defence as well and I actually think he is a better defender / intercept marker but we have plenty of them now.

Doesn’t go when it’s his turn. So yes cowardly. In good teams it’s everyones role, it’s a non negotiable. They don’t exist at Essendon.

Calling him cowardly is going too far but there is no doubt that he shirks contests both in the air and at ground level like no players I can remember.

I can't believe he'll be anything but a drag in a final. Finals are not played as game for those who run ahead of the ball instead of helping team mates win the thing.

It's why I have virtually no regard for what he does. Every other forward will bump and block and sacrifice his game for the team - my boy plays a game that is almost entirely to his detriment, while Brown is always heading off into the goal scoring territory.

It's very strange that it's tolerated, especially from a guy who is notionally selected as a key forward - it's not like he changes the way he plays when Laverde and/or Stringer are present or not.

The structure is there to create a goal. If you're running ahead of the game to finish off everyone else's work you're not really doing anything that literally every player on an AFL list, with average running capability, doesn't have the ability to do. Hell, there are VFL players who could do it too.

Last edited:
Calling him cowardly is going too far but there is no doubt that he shirks contests both in the air and at ground level like no players I can remember.

I can't believe he'll be anything but a drag in a final. Finals are not played as game for those who run ahead of the ball instead of helping team mates win the thing.

It's why I have virtually no regard for what he does. Every other forward will bump and block and sacrifice his game for the team - my boy plays a game that is almost entirely to his detriment, while Brown is always heading off into the goal scoring territory.

It's very strange that it's tolerated, especially from a guy who is notionally selected as a key forward - it's not like he changes the way he plays when Laverde and/or Stringer are present or not.

The structure is there to create a goal. If you're running ahead of the game to finish off everyone else's work you're not really doing anything that literally every player on an AFL list, with average running capability, doesn't have the ability to do. Hell, there are VFL players who could do it too.

I’m not a Mitch Brown fan at all but thats a pretty harsh take on his game. For one Brown is very good at providing that short hit up lead up the ground which regularly allows us to maintain possession when under pressure. Secondly he is an exceptional finisher so it’s not exactly detrimental to the team that he is the guy getting out the back.

I do think the negatives outway the positives though. I see issues as similar to Greens in the sense Brown like Green just isn’t likely to beat an AFL level defender in a contest so their whole game is based on finding space.

Finals are not played as game for those who run ahead of the ball instead of helping team mates win the thing.

It's why I have virtually no regard for what he does. Every other forward will bump and block and sacrifice his game for the team -
my boy plays a game that is almost entirely to his detriment, while Brown is always heading off into the goal scoring territory.

Wow very harsh. He runs to create space for teammates. I saw him last year against (Roos?) run a hard 40 metre lead to just outside defensive 50 to help ball stuck in the backline.
Also look at video on previous page.

He struggled last night no doubt but sometimes his quiet games against better teams is because our mid has been thrashed and poor delivery.

Brown is quite simple to define.
He’s very good at what he’s good at - namely running to space, leading, and shots for goal. All strengths.

He’s just also notably bad at what he’s bad at - (Eg) He cannot take a contested mark to save himself, and non-existent forward pressure.

It is what it is. He’s performed very well for us this year, and I like him. But I also think a team that pays him even the slightest bit of respect and plays the right type of player on him could quite easily keep him quiet.

You have not really been watching us all that closely then.

Wow very harsh. He runs to create space for teammates. I saw him last year against (Roos?) run a hard 40 metre lead to just outside defensive 50 to help ball stuck in the backline.
Also look at video on previous page.

He struggled last night no doubt but sometimes his quiet games against better teams is because our mid has been thrashed and poor delivery.
And better sides have better defenders.

You have not really been watching us all that closely then.

How do you bump and block when you run away from contests? He reminds me of the victims of car jackings in what ever Grand Theft Auto game I played. He'll go towards a marking or contested situation or just end up at a contest (i.e. he's out innocently driving his car) and the he literally turns and jogs away (I.e. as soon as I get that door open). I'm my mind I'm chasing him trying to hit him with a tyre iron but then the cops are there and it's a shootout.

It would be respectable if he was loading up to smash the next pack but you know very well he isn't doing that.

The reason I said he should not be call cowardly is because the extent to which he avoids contests is so obvious and so strange it's probably an instruction.

That to me is an incredibly strange instruction to give to a player playing as a key forward. I have to say that every now and then he is committed to a ball in the air and there is contact but it almost like his misread the potential for impending contact and he takes a weird chest mark as though the ball just falls in his lap.

He gets the majority of his goals basically as an overlap option taking uncontested ball forward.

What am I not seeing?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back