Retired #29: Patrick Ambrose - Officially retired - 11/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Much as I like what I seen there is one glaring hole in his game. I've not seen him hold a contested mark or a strong mark with outstretched hands on the lead.

How about running backwards with hands out?

I get the feeling that if Paddy gets picked he will change the gravitational field in the forward line and turn Carlisle into a gun forward. This will see rines change her opinion on Thompson. Once she starts beating the drum for Bomber it's all over for Hird and I don't know if the club can afford payout.

I just like his huge workrate. We need a player like that in our forward line. I mean Goddard came out and labelled him as the best athlete he's played with. The guy clearly has something. I don't expect him to change our forward line around but we need a 3rd tall option. I don't care if he gets his marks from running his opponents into the ground instead of taking contested marks, that's fine with me.

Ok if I drop the excited fan boy hat for a minute ....

Ambrose is not an amazing footballer, so he will never stand out at VFL level. However, his athletic ability and competitiveness will make him a point of difference in the forward line and that is as much about the knock on effect to the rest of the forward line. Playing through him late in the quarter, assuming he's burnt his man by then, will spread the defence and give Daniher and Carlisle more of a chance.

He needs to play and he needs to play as many games as he can while Chappy plays there and Goddard rotating through there too. BJ is full of advice for everyone. I noticed in the games Ambrose played Chappy did take him under his wing and gave him advice and also showed him where to run by demanding the ball off Ambrose. Chappy sends Ambrose up to get the ball and then turns around and beats his man into space.

Need to get games into this boy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about running backwards with hands out?

How you can let a bloke take a mark like that, wear a huge bump with a raised elbow and the award a free kick to North is simply beyond me. Hansen was always going to initiate late contact. Hardingham's minor contact had no effect on how that contest was going to transpire.

Or I don't know, ignore the ticky touchwood free and even the obvious free to Ambrose and just pay the fricken mark.

How you can let a bloke take a mark like that, wear a huge bump with a raised elbow and the award a free kick to North is simply beyond me. Hansen was always going to initiate late contact. Hardingham's minor contact had no effect on how that contest was going to transpire.

Or I don't know, ignore the ticky touchwood free and even the obvious free to Ambrose and just pay the fricken mark.

It's a clear push in the back. Shit play from Hardingham.

It's a clear push in the back. Shit play from Hardingham.

It was a little push in the side to someone arriving late to a contest. Certainly shit play from Hardingham, but considering the effect of the action, the mark should have been maintained IMO. Especially considering this was round 1, when the umps came out and paid very few frees.

sorry guys, blatant DT question.

Is ambrose likely to stay in the side when Bellchambers returns or do you see his selection as a likely stop gap.

Sounds like a lot of you rate what he gives and not really a like for like but I guess if another tall came into the fwd rotation then he could have his position looked at

Is ambrose likely to stay in the side when Bellchambers returns or do you see his selection as a likely stop gap.

Sounds like a lot of you rate what he gives and not really a like for like but I guess if another tall came into the fwd rotation then he could have his position looked at
I reckon Carlisle is more likely to go down/into defence

He's probably not going to rack up numbers.

He's probably not going to rack up numbers.
When he's $125k getting 70-odd would be good enough for a premium who'll lose mid-season form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back