Retired #29: Patrick Ambrose - Officially retired - 11/8

Remove this Banner Ad

He's basically the a prototype athlete who already knows his way around a footy field.

With the skill set he has available I fully expect that we'll develop him into our CHF.
So what's the reason nobody has taken him prior to now? Clearly a physical specimen, is there a glaring gap in skill level?

I wanna get excited but my inner sceptic is not allowing it...

So what's the reason nobody has taken him prior to now? Clearly a physical specimen, is there a glaring gap in skill level?

Look at his history. Hardly been part of any of the established pathways into the AFL system.

I'm not saying he is that player yet by the way. I'm saying that we are good enough to develop him into it and that he is basically the perfect physical specimen to develop into that player.

Think of it in the same terms as looking to basketball for rucks and Irish recruits for their speed and skill.

He's come out of playing 2nds at school level and played VFL/amateurs for a couple of years. He's hardly been on any radar until he grew to 6 ft 4 and produced some good footy at Old Xavs.

He's a long way off yet, I would not be expecting him to develop into our CHF by any means. Freak athlete and physically perfect for AFL, but he's simply not there at this stage. Hence, good rookie choice.

He's come out of playing 2nds at school level and played VFL/amateurs for a couple of years. He's hardly been on any radar until he grew to 6 ft 4 and produced some good footy at Old Xavs.

He's a long way off yet, I would not be expecting him to develop into our CHF by any means. Freak athlete and physically perfect for AFL, but he's simply not there at this stage. Hence, good rookie choice.
Has had 3 seasons of VFL so has been in the system for a while and nobody was talking him up for the draft so obviously was far from dominant, or even prominent, last year....anyway, hope I'm wrong and the theory of using rookie spot on a great athlete with quality personal traits is sound enough.

Has had 3 seasons of VFL so has been in the system for a while and nobody was talking him up for the draft so obviously was far from dominant, or even prominent, last year....anyway, hope I'm wrong and the theory of using rookie spot on a great athlete with quality personal traits is sound enough.

Was very much on the periphery of the VFL system before 2013, so I'd hardly say "3 seasons of VFL".

Was very much on the periphery of the VFL system before 2013, so I'd hardly say "3 seasons of VFL".
My understanding is he played Reserves at Coburg ...so was in the system but couldn't get a game.....which is fine. I have no issue using a rookie spot on the guy. Just not as excited as others.

My understanding is he played Reserves at Coburg ...so was in the system but couldn't get a game.....which is fine. I have no issue using a rookie spot on the guy. Just not as excited as others.

He played mostly Old Xavs that year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heh..... they weren't kidding about the athlete side of things.

I wonder if Stanton is cracking the shits that we seem to be recruiting blokes specifically to knock him over in the time trial :D

Stanton is s**t, over rated, don't know how he gets a game etc etc.

Now he can't even win a time trial.... DELIST!!!!

Finishing that close to Rayner in a 2km, at his size, probably puts Ambrose in the top handful of athletes in the AFL.

I suppose I've gotten a little carried away with this guy. I just think that his story has all the hallmarks of something out of the ordinary and for some reason I'm extremely confident that the combination of his attitude and our ability to develop will see us make it a reality.

Finishing that close to Rayner in a 2km, at his size, probably puts Ambrose in the top handful of athletes in the AFL.

I suppose I've gotten a little carried away with this guy. I just think that his story has all the hallmarks of something out of the ordinary and for some reason I'm extremely confident that the combination of his attitude and our ability to develop will see us make it a reality.
Hope you're right but this makes it even harder for me not to take the opposite line of thinking....so big, so athletic....must be something amiss given his career to date!

Yep I'm on this guy big time. I have a feeling that he'll be everything we wanted Crameri to be. While 6 4 that sort of endurance could see him play as a flanker .. who crashes packs!

I won't be surprised if he's this far advanced he'll play a game in the seniors this year and be on the main list next year!

Yep I'm on this guy big time. I have a feeling that he'll be everything we wanted Crameri to be. While 6 4 that sort of endurance could see him play as a flanker .. who crashes packs!

I won't be surprised if he's this far advanced he'll play a game in the seniors this year and be on the main list next year!
Two words. Courtney Johns

Built like a monster (194-195cm)
I remember watching the video of them picking players for RD and they were saying how big his vertical leap was mid 80's cm
Under 6 min 2km time trialist

These attributes wouldnt have been seen together before in the one player. Doesnt always mean he will be anything special.

Im excited about his potential. Yet to see him play.

Would he be best fitted to a real run around CHF position? Surely thats where his endurance can be best used. Maybe even a potential key shutdown defender of very high quality. Endurance to go with guys like NRoo, speed to go against your Rougheads, Buddys, JRoo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back