Player Watch #30: Reece Conca

Remove this Banner Ad

Conca is best 22 but he isn't in our best 5 midfielders, therefore is a depth midfielder, a player who rotates through when others need a break. As others mentioned, nobody thought Edwards & Houli would be capable of stepping up in big finals games and they both did, so much so that either would have been a worthy winner of the Norm Smith. So I understand what you're saying about Conca and whether he can step up and I look back to Concas form in 2012-2014 before the injuries hit and believe that he can. The only way we'll get a definitive answer is to wait 14 weeks and find out.

The only thing I’ll say on this is that they did fail in finals, year on year, along with a Grigg and Bellis. All redeemed themselves last year in some way but it took many failures and also a different game plan.

But overall I can respect what you’re saying when you put it like that, we don’t see eye to eye but at least you’re not putting him up with Cotch and Martin now haha

Can't help but see the irony here between Conca and CEllis, whose versatility is much lauded in these here parts.
But I am comforted by your words ... 't’s no good having versatility if your rubbish at the other positions'. That's CEllis to a tee.
But a bit tough on Reece. I reckon one of his best games was as a forward v the Hawks a few seasons ago.
Head to Head i have Reece Conca way ahead of Corey Ellis at the same age/stage of career

I dont rate Reece Conca in our best 15-20 But If he continue's his improvement i can see a role for him but just needs to get the dinky kicking and turn overs out of his game which shits me to death

The only thing I’ll say on this is that they did fail in finals, year on year, along with a Grigg and Bellis. All redeemed themselves last year in some way but it took many failures and also a different game plan.

But overall I can respect what you’re saying when you put it like that, we don’t see eye to eye but at least you’re not putting him up with Cotch and Martin now haha
All good and I respect that you have concerns about Conca in big games, but I think he has been a lot better than a number of others so far this season, even in those big games that we've had as he plays the roles asked of him. Those roles don't always entail him getting it getting it 20+ times but are just as important.

For what it's worth I believe come the end of the season he'll be settled into the roles and will play his part in us hopefully going back to back.

Head to Head i have Reece Conca way ahead of Corey Ellis at the same age/stage of career

I dont rate Reece Conca in our best 15-20 But If he continue's his improvement i can see a role for him but just needs to get the dinky kicking and turn overs out of his game which shits me to death

I doubt a bookie would give you odds on a Conca-CEllis head-to-head contest.
It's a lay down misere.

I would also say the difference in that comparison is that Edwards and Houli have shown over a long journey they can be game breakers, just that they hadn't done it in finals.
Reece doesn't seem to have the same gap between his thighs and low performances. this isn't always a bad thing with a player as you know what your going to get game in game out. The question is, is that consistent level high enough?
I would say he is border line. There a younger players ready to push him out, they probably just have that question mark on their consistency.

EFA.
I read your post quickly and pmsl

I thought I saw strong signs from Conca on the weekend. I think his body is improving from the continuity of football at the highest level. I thought I saw increased core strength in his movement on the run at times and improved levels of fitness.

I actually think Conca could improve even more as his body gets stronger and more experienced at the level. Things are looking up for Conca finally which is pleasing to see and I am glad he is growing into a role that suits his strengths.

Well he is a free agent this year so lets hope a tyrone type deal is on the cards for him from another club

Nah, he is a valued member of our team who compliments the likes of Dusty/Caddy/Edwards and other forward types so well.

The grouping of Ellis/Short and Conca seemed seemless on the weekend and his defensive strengths are critical to our make up. I cannot see Conca going anywhere and we would be mad to let him go!!

Nah, he is a valued member of our team who compliments the likes of Dusty/Caddy/Edwards and other forward types so well.

The grouping of Ellis/Short and Conca seemed seemless on the weekend and his defensive strengths are critical to our make up. I cannot see Conca going anywhere and we would be mad to let him go!!
Looks lie you have been Cuddled

Lol, looks like you and another have it in for Conca and C Ellis.

It would be good to see you let it go and empower them to develop further. Like it not he is in Caddy and others window!!
Nah just wishing them the best and the opportunity to make the best out of their career - Like Tambling was able to do at Adelaide

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah just wishing them the best and the opportunity to make the best out of their career - Like Tambling was able to do at Adelaide

Conca offers vastly more than Tambling especially in the marking and tackling areas.

At least Conca can compete in a contest.

Conca clearly is underrated and I think can improve further.

I thought I saw strong signs from Conca on the weekend. I think his body is improving from the continuity of football at the highest level. I thought I saw increased core strength in his movement on the run at times and improved levels of fitness.

I actually think Conca could improve even more as his body gets stronger and more experienced at the level. Things are looking up for Conca finally which is pleasing to see and I am glad he is growing into a role that suits his strengths.
Could be right there! Heres hoping to more continues success for Concs...:thumbsu:

We got smashed tonight but one of the big reasons is we got smashed inside. And here’s one of our inside midfielders giving us; 22 touches, 8 contested touches, 59% DE, 9 tackles, 1 clearance, 7 clangers, 4 I50’s and 3 R50’s.

Those stats are shite for an inside mid, not enough clearances or CP. Shite for an outside mid, terrible DE etc. Terrible for a defender, 7 clangersto go with his other stats.

I keep saying he’s not the answer in finals, and people keep telling me he’s fine and will prove himself. That was yet another game where he has let us down.

And before people quote me stats, I don’t care about games we win comfortably. I care about finals, which means tight, contested, tough games and games we lose. We need people that will take us forward in finals. Anyone else should not be playing. Imo that’s Conca now. Before I was indifferent, now I’m convinced.

We got smashed tonight but one of the big reasons is we got smashed inside. And here’s one of our inside midfielders giving us; 22 touches, 8 contested touches, 59% DE, 9 tackles, 1 clearance, 7 clangers, 4 I50’s and 3 R50’s.

Those stats are shite for an inside mid, not enough clearances or CP. Shite for an outside mid, terrible DE etc. Terrible for a defender, 7 clangersto go with his other stats.

I keep saying he’s not the answer in finals, and people keep telling me he’s fine and will prove himself. That was yet another game where he has let us down.

And before people quote me stats, I don’t care about games we win comfortably. I care about finals, which means tight, contested, tough games and games we lose. We need people that will take us forward in finals. Anyone else should not be playing. Imo that’s Conca now. Before I was indifferent, now I’m convinced.
I hear you brother

Hes a half backer, not an inside mid tho

thought conca was someone that put in for 4 solid quarters. was in our best 5, stuffed it up a few time but some great moves out weighed that.
he was guilty of at least 4 brain fades at crucial parts of the game , which he is regularly guilty of.
Is a massive momentum swinger . dud delist.

he was guilty of at least 4 brain fades at crucial parts of the game , which he is regularly guilty of.
Is a massive momentum swinger . dud delist.
Certainly did not have his best game...in a team that did not have a win...but he did put in unlike some others that just showed up...
Plenty of others had brain fades...Grigg for that mark in the last Q...Big Mac...Butler...Higgo with that kick...
Once this side drops it's collective bundle in contested footy...everyone gets showed up...even our best defender in Rance...

Hes a half backer, not an inside mid tho

Well if he’s a HBF and getting 59% DE and 7 clangers he needs to make way for Markov next week or at the very least be dropped when Houli is fit. Yet he was playing when we had all of Vlaustin, Short, Broad, Ellis and Houli in so me thinks he’s not a hbf.

Not to mention all the people in this thread saying he’s an inside mid.

It’s clear as day that Conca’s strength is his inside game, he’s tackles really well and he’s decent in traffic, but his negatives outweigh his positives when the heat gets turned up and he’s not going to be the answer in finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back