Player Watch #30: Reece Conca

Remove this Banner Ad

Deplorable skills, really really poor. He does other things quite well so was hoping with game continuation this seasonhis decision making would get better and he wouldn’t go for passes beyond his skill set, but he continues to * up - and that miss from the top of the square?? ffs how can you miskick that?

We got smashed tonight but one of the big reasons is we got smashed inside. And here’s one of our inside midfielders giving us; 22 touches, 8 contested touches, 59% DE, 9 tackles, 1 clearance, 7 clangers, 4 I50’s and 3 R50’s.

Those stats are shite for an inside mid, not enough clearances or CP. Shite for an outside mid, terrible DE etc. Terrible for a defender, 7 clangersto go with his other stats.

I keep saying he’s not the answer in finals, and people keep telling me he’s fine and will prove himself. That was yet another game where he has let us down.

And before people quote me stats, I don’t care about games we win comfortably. I care about finals, which means tight, contested, tough games and games we lose. We need people that will take us forward in finals. Anyone else should not be playing. Imo that’s Conca now. Before I was indifferent, now I’m convinced.
Nah, he is a valued member of our team who compliments the likes of Dusty/Caddy/Edwards and other forward types so well.

The grouping of Ellis/Short and Conca seemed seemless on the weekend and his defensive strengths are critical to our make up. I cannot see Conca going anywhere and we would be mad to let him go!!
jesus christ man

VFL player, like Menadue, Miles and Higgins add the old man Grigg and its no wonder we got smashed in the middle

Well if he’s a HBF and getting 59% DE and 7 clangers he needs to make way for Markov next week or at the very least be dropped when Houli is fit. Yet he was playing when we had all of Vlaustin, Short, Broad, Ellis and Houli in so me thinks he’s not a hbf.

Not to mention all the people in this thread saying he’s an inside mid.

It’s clear as day that Conca’s strength is his inside game, he’s tackles really well and he’s decent in traffic, but his negatives outweigh his positives when the heat gets turned up and he’s not going to be the answer in finals.
I don't really care where people in here say he plays. He doesn't play as a mid. He plays off the half back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he was guilty of at least 4 brain fades at crucial parts of the game , which he is regularly guilty of.
Is a massive momentum swinger . dud delist.
How can you have 4 brain fades when you don't have a brain?
I have to agree he continually slows the game and then pumps the ball high to no advantage. Turnover king. He killed us in the second quarter.

Obviously I watched a different game. Did some s**t things but still one of our best
Bad kick on goal...and a clanger kick from him that i remember...but then Conca was in the midfield were the battle was fiercest trying to win possession...
But Conca and the other mids were ineffectual...completely overwhelmed...battled manfully...

I like conca and was stoked when he seemed to be getting a clear run free of injury.

But last night i was pre emptively cringing every time he got the ball waiting for the clanger. I was more anxious when he won a cp than when he didn't.

Interesting analysis.

Early in his career i would have said: Ginger Rookie.
More recently would have said: Injury prone.
This year i would have gone with: Finally Continuity
You may not have the time or inclination but go and have a look at this game again. It sums up what Reece has done all his career and his skill set.
Look at what happens when he touches the ball and just how ineffective he is most of the time with or without it.

There are reasons why this bloke cops the criticism's he cops.He has no upside what so ever and at best is a foot soldier but unfortunately he cant play at his best all the time .

We won a flag last yr because hacks like Reece were not getting a game.In all honesty id rather see Corey Ellis get a game he at least has an upside.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back