AFL Player #31: Zach Reid - Hamstring - 4 to 6 weeks - 19/3

Remove this Banner Ad

It makes no sense without a like for like replacement for Reid in terms of team balance. But I remember a time when Ridley was going alright and found himself back in the 2s to work on a deficiency (when we all felt he was going well)...and he was there for a good while. Ridley returned to the team as one of the best intercept markers in the comp and an all round gun. Hopefully the same here.
It did make sense.

Way more run from defence.

It did make sense.

To you maybe. And it worked.

If St Kilda's mid field got on top though and their big forwards started to control the air with good supply, I am not sure the team picked would have been able to deal with it and really there was no options if one of our 3 bigger defenders was getting smashed. Stewart as sub was insurance against injury so I suppose they had that covered.

To you maybe. And it worked.

If St Kilda's mid field got on top though and their big forwards started to control the air with good supply, I am not sure the team picked would have been able to deal with it and really there was no options if one of our 3 bigger defenders was getting smashed. Stewart as sub was insurance against injury so I suppose they had that covered.
Reid will be super for us long term though.

It did make sense.

There was more run but I think the change was more to focus on defending higher up the ground, reducing St.Kilda's I50 so we don't need to rebound out of defence.

That said McGrath, Hind and D'ambrosia were fantastic. Laverde continues to compete with guys larger than him. Reid's time will come and he will be a gun.

Defender Zach Reid will be a test this weekend after suffering a rolled ankle in the Dons VFL win.

Reid will look to train this week before his availability known.

“’Reidy’ just rolled his ankle in that VFL game,” Murphy said.

“He just landed awkwardly and wasn’t too bad, but the decision was to not continue on in that game.

“He’ll be a test for this weekend and we’ll work it out by the time we get to main training.”

Zach Reid

Key stats: 12 disposals, six marks, eight kicks

“Zach was really good in the contest. His one-on-one work was fantastic, and he came off to support and intercept the ball quite a few times just reading the flight and getting in best position. It was great to see him beat his direct opponent and influence the game in the air. His ball use was back to his best, it was good to see him make good decisions and his skill execution was as good as it’s been for a while.”

Do we know if he’s even available?
He's been named in the VFL (if you look at that thread) so I assume that he is.

Just play him. Please
They are taking a conservative position with him. Given he has missed a lot of time due to injury they will not allow him to keep getting physically beaten up week in and week out playing KP in the seniors. Even last week in the VFL they had Brand and BZK playing on the bigger forwards. I just want to see them get him thorough the season without another serious injury. Maybe another few senior games at some stage. There is no rush at this stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not too worried at this stage other than he needs an injury free period to get some continuity going.

It's like people have already forgotten BZT suddenly coming good after 4 or so years in an AFL system.

Reid is even taller, and played less U18 footy, and has had injuries.

Tall guys take time.

No, he was just omitted and played VFL for the last six weeks (not counting the bye).
Alan Rickman Reaction GIF

I understand developing him in the VFL, but how often are you in a better situation then we are in right now to blood your young talent in the 1s? Would love to have a look at Eyre and Reid at least a couple of times as come round 1 next year there won’t be as much opportunity for experimentation.

I think we'd be negligent to try and fast track his physical development by rapidly gaining weight and muscle given the injury history he has. Let him grow into his frame more incrementally and build continuity at the lower level. Unleash him when he has the confidence in his body and has form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back