Delisted #33: Brayden "Donny" Ham - not offered another contract - 18/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Zaharakis is playing Smith's pressure forward role. He's more suited to it than Ham, who's more a winger.

Ham was playing predominantly forward this year. I prefer Ham with his speed as a forward then Zaharakis but if Zaka is better it’s line ball. Surely we play the 21 year old with a future ahead of Zaka who won’t be on the list next year

It’s stupid that Zaharakis got the chance to pad his stats against the worst team in the comp and has now seemingly leap frogged Ham in the pecking order.

Ham was playing predominantly forward this year. I prefer Ham with his speed as a forward then Zaharakis but if Zaka is better it’s line ball. Surely we play the 21 year old with a future ahead of Zaka who won’t be on the list next year

It’s stupid that Zaharakis got the chance to pad his stats against the worst team in the comp and has now seemingly leap frogged Ham in the pecking order.
Right now I do not think it matters. Ham needs to develop his body which he can do playing footy at any level. We know he has the ability to play at senior level. What we do not know is if he is able to get any stronger.

If you're questioning Rutten's decision not to play youngsters, you're wrong. He has shown that he is the most wiling coach in the whole league to play the kids. As much as I don't like Zaka in the team, he is there for a reason. We lost smith who has valuable experience, and brought in one of our oldest players to bring balance to the team. Plus, Ham clearly just isn't good enough to be in the best 22, with all of the injuries that we currently have.

If you're questioning Rutten's decision not to play youngsters, you're wrong. He has shown that he is the most wiling coach in the whole league to play the kids. As much as I don't like Zaka in the team, he is there for a reason. We lost smith who has valuable experience, and brought in one of our oldest players to bring balance to the team. Plus, Ham clearly just isn't good enough to be in the best 22, with all of the injuries that we currently have.

Strongly disagree for the need of Zaharakis.

What evidence do you have that Rutten is the best in the league at playing kids?

Really think his need to bulk is overblown.

Not IMO . Anytime the game gets a bit contested he is shot. He has zero core strength. It is okay to be playing well in the shoot out style games but every time we have played the bigger dogs he is not sighted. Sure outside run is needed but you can not carry a guy who is easily pushed off the footy 10 times out of 10. Even this year the dog fight games have been his worst.

Strongly disagree for the need of Zaharakis.

What evidence do you have that Rutten is the best in the league at playing kids?

If he has not been the best so be it but he has shown he will play the young players and he will head in a different direction. Zaka is one player. He has not folded on going his own way with the back 6 .

The problem is that he gets pushed around. We are a hard tackling team and he isn't pulling his weight. Whether that's because he's scared or simply not strong enough doesn't matter, either way it needs to be fixed.

So Zaharakis provides tackling? Are people really suggesting there’s a big gap in physicality provided by Ham and Zaka because I don’t see it?

Why play Zaka at all? Would rather play Cahill if Ham isn’t physical enough.

So Zaharakis provides tackling? Are people really suggesting there’s a big gap in physicality provided by Ham and Zaka because I don’t see it?

Playing someone else is a different story. I simply stated Ham or Zaka. Did not matter either way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They clearly view Cahill as somebody who can maybe be a Jack Graham style defensive midfielder. There's no point disrupting his development by pulling him out of the VFL to fill in for Smith.

Zaharakis will go straight back to the VFL when Smith's fit. This isn't the big deal you think it is.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

They clearly view Cahill as somebody who can maybe be a Jack Graham style defensive midfielder. There's no point disrupting his development by pulling him out of the VFL to fill in for Smith.

Zaharakis will go straight back to the VFL when Smith's fit. This isn't the big deal you think it is.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don’t think it’s a big deal I just disagree with the selection

Also disagree on Cahill. Think he’s playing full time mid because there is a dearth of other options in the VFL.

Say whatever u like about his size. He’s petrified in the contest, consistently runs past the contest and doesn’t have the attitude of a serious league player. He’s a liability. Not because of his size but his deplorable attitude toward winning or breaking even in contests.

Say whatever u like about his size. He’s petrified in the contest, consistently runs past the contest and doesn’t have the attitude of a serious league player. He’s a liability. Not because of his size but his deplorable attitude toward winning or breaking even in contests.
A5E7CAC0-5E89-40A2-B207-629C1D0E39F3.jpeg

Right now I do not think it matters. Ham needs to develop his body which he can do playing footy at any level. We know he has the ability to play at senior level. What we do not know is if he is able to get any stronger.

I think we do know if he can get stronger. Building lean mass and improving core strength is no obstacle for any able-bodied young man. What we do not know is whether he will really commit to doing so.

I thought this year was a reset. Play some kids, start to build towards finals in a few years time.

So when it has come to selection this year...

I understand the Hooker selection. His marking power in the forward line alongside Jones is valuable.
I understand the Heppel selection. He is one of the few on field leaders playing. No 'runners' anymore on field so he is needed.

I do not understand the Zaharakis selection. He is not strong overhead, he is not a strong tackler, bobs up with a goal or two and can run all day - just like Ham! Zaka is a bit stronger, but he doesn't play like it.

We have a player in Ham who is far from a finished product, but has the potential to be a very good player. Why not play him? He could part of the future. Zaka is not, unfortunately simply because of his age.

Does anyone know who much if any influence Heppell has on team selection? This could sound like conspiracy theory stuff, but could Zakas selection be a hang over from the saga days. The old boys club thing that evolved with old v new?

I thought this year was a reset. Play some kids, start to build towards finals in a few years time.

So when it has come to selection this year...

I understand the Hooker selection. His marking power in the forward line alongside Jones is valuable.
I understand the Heppel selection. He is one of the few on field leaders playing. No 'runners' anymore on field so he is needed.

I do not understand the Zaharakis selection. He is not strong overhead, he is not a strong tackler, bobs up with a goal or two and can run all day - just like Ham! Zaka is a bit stronger, but he doesn't play like it.

We have a player in Ham who is far from a finished product, but has the potential to be a very good player. Why not play him? He could part of the future. Zaka is not, unfortunately simply because of his age.

Does anyone know who much if any influence Heppell has on team selection? This could sound like conspiracy theory stuff, but could Zakas selection be a hang over from the saga days. The old boys club thing that evolved with old v new?
Ham will be back in the team at some point. Chill out.

I like him. Reckon he’s valuable going forward. Not a star but he can play his role well. For a pick in the 70’s he’s doing quite well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back