Delisted #33: Brayden "Donny" Ham - not offered another contract - 18/10

Remove this Banner Ad

it’s the dumbest ******* rule of all time. makes no sense whatsoever.
Just have 5 on the bench.
Interchanges are capped at 75, the difference in fatigue between subbing 4 off the bench instead of 5 in case of injury is minimal at such a relatively low cap (Interchanges used to be 120 when uncapped), particularly if an injury occurs in the 2nd half of the game.

I would just have the interchange at 5.

I mostly see upside in Rutten. What worries me is his fee selection errors that aren’t line-ball but really obvious, and the Ham-selection (not just as sub recently, but actually in the 22 earlier in the year) is the prime example.

As a side point, FWIW I reckon Truck mostly gets it right for ~20/22 guys on a weekly basis.

it’s the dumbest ******* rule of all time. makes no sense whatsoever.

It made sense in the original format.

Concussion sub, made alongside tightened up concussion protocols, to encourage / ensure teams weren't going to send players back out to play in border-line cases. Therefore anyone subbed out was deemed to be concussed and missed the minimum 12 day period so there was limited incentive to game the system - except in a GF.

Then the coaches wanted it made a general injury sub, knowing they could manipulate it, and being bleedingly obvious to everyone that they would manipulate it, and lo and behold, they now manipulate it.

We've got a bunch of kids/fringe players trying their guts out in the twos every week to extend their careers not getting rewarded while this bloke's somehow now played 11 games.

I'm not sure we really have this year, how many are there in the wing/forward role that would be better playing a quarter here and there than a full vfl match? McDonagh (however you spell that) is probably the closest to the role he's playing atm, and going from what I've seen isn't exactly a great white hope.

I'm not sure we really have this year, how many are there in the wing/forward role that would be better playing a quarter here and there than a full vfl match? McDonagh (however you spell that) is probably the closest to the role he's playing atm, and going from what I've seen isn't exactly a great white hope.
Waterman is the one that should be sub more often (or Cutler, but he just returned from injury so can see why they wanted to get miles in the legs first).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hird's the main one - primarily because he's probably not going to make it/won't get too many chances. I'd rather see what he's got to offer for a few games. He quite literally can't be any worse than Ham. If he's no good, at least we know. Alternatively, we might find ourselves a player. With Ham we know what we've got - and it's got to the point where we're effectively a player down when he gets a game.

I haven't seen a kid regress this much since Jackson Merrett.
Why does everything you post have to be a ******* bummer? I can’t understand the mentality of coming on here to almost exclusively post negativity. Get a life dude

Why does everything you post have to be a ******* bummer? I can’t understand the mentality of coming on here to almost exclusively post negativity. Get a life dude

sounds like an Essendon supporter on an essendon board tbf rofl

not much to be positive about!

I'll try and be more positive.

Ned_Flanders.png

So given he’s not even amongst the emergencies this week I’m going to go out on a limb and say he only played last week because the VFL team were interstate.

Not mad at it, I’d prefer that than deprive someone like Menzie of a full game of footy.

I mean, i would have rather they just played Ham consistently from last year under the guise of a proper rebuild, but the selections are always too reactionary and un-cohesive and they hold onto to senior payers who rarely had any form and kept them in out of pity. So the development of our young players just stops and starts way too much.

Imagine Ham and Wanganeen up forward?!!

Ham gets tackled a few times and struggles a bit, around the midfield, must drop him etc..but the upside is he has speed, agility and is athletic etc, so play him instead of Zaharakis who had been ordinary for a good six years anyway, and Heppell and Hurley whom aren't going to take us finals, let alone a premiership.

Same with Francis and Reid. Another player who probably needs a good year in the best 22 just to slowly adapt. But it's stop start, omitted and selected, never cohesive and decisive to play a good young team for their development..

Now we have the situation where players like Ham never got a decent run at it, win or loss. So never gets a chance at a breakout game.

It's a mixture of poor coaching and player development at the club. He was one of the best at the Geelong Falcons after all.

I don't necessarily blame Francis or Ham for their form, but on our mediocre development culture, they've just been unlucky, and yes, probably didn't play well enough when given some opportunity, that too, but both player were good picks when recruited, so i don't really know how to perceive their development and bipolar form in the AFL team compared to their VFL form.

I use the term poor coaching, because players are often used out of context to their real strengths.

2022 is the first time in ages we look like to have a fresh team who has potential, even though we've won hardly any games.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back