Delisted #33: Brayden "Donny" Ham - not offered another contract - 18/10

Remove this Banner Ad

How this bloke is playing league footy is one of life’s great mysteries. A fumbly, carleless and half arsed imposter.

How this bloke is playing league footy is one of life’s great mysteries. A fumbly, carleless and half arsed imposter.
Wow ok very harsh... I think he’s worth persevering with.

Wow ok very harsh... I think he’s worth persevering with.

To be fair, Ham was that 12 months older when we brought him in so we have every right to be expecting a little more than a fresh 18 year old draftee. He is 21 and not a lock in the side. He averages 10 possessions a game which for a run and carry link man is below average if not poor.

I agree that he is still young but the expectation should have been the see him cement himself in the senior side and average 15 possessions a game.

To be fair, Ham was that 12 months older when we brought him in so we have every right to be expecting a little more than a fresh 18 year old draftee. He is 21 and not a lock in the side. He averages 10 possessions a game which for a run and carry link man is below average if not poor.

I agree that he is still young but the expectation should have been the see him cement himself in the senior side and average 15 possessions a game.
He showed promise in some earlier games, think Pies was the standout. 21yo with not many games is still very young. I mean look at Ridley...at just a year younger he couldn’t get a game. Tim Kelly was running around in WAFL at that age.

He showed promise in some earlier games, think Pies was the standout. 21yo with not many games is still very young. I mean look at Ridley...at just a year younger he couldn’t get a game. Tim Kelly was running around in WAFL at that age.

I tend to agree that we may be marking him more harshly than is fair but the expectation to perform better than he currently is, is warranted.

But he hasn't been allowed to play that full time wingman/link up role. He's spent plenty of time up forward which doesn't suit him.

Personally think we'e found a gem and will be a lock to play 200 plus games.

He is just too light. Does a lot of running and if he can find space he looks good but you will not always get that so anytime he comes into a contested situation he struggles and has limited impact. He is never going to be big so he is a bloke who needs to be doing twice the core strength stuff to maximize his natural running and ability.

I want to keep Ham. I think the return to the full length games will suit him as his biggest skill (his tank) isn't fully utilised with the shortened format.

But ffs, he's just too bloody small for AFL right now. Surely you don't have to be a genius to realise the kid who couldn't be more than 60 kg's soaking wet isn't up to it. He gets bodied off the ball far too easily, and doesn't stick many tackles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or we could play him on a wing, not in a pocket
I think that's his long term position too but is he better there than Langford, Snelling, Guelfi, Smith? I'm not sure.

The game plan revolves around having larger wingers tho. They are your bailout defensively. That is probably why he spends so much time forward.

Yeah he’s not here above them, but I want him in the side as a winger. If they’re going to play him as a pocket atm I’d rather someone else.
Exactly my thoughts as well. Can see him ending up being a 20 touch, 1 goal/game outside mid.

Watching at the ground, I think he's been asked to play the role that Zaharakis was playing at the start of the year.
The dons make sure they cover space away from the contest, never going to get a stack of possessions playing that role.

I think we've seen enough to know he will become a solid player long term particularly with his running power. But his spot in the team needs to be given to some fringe players to see if they aren't/are up to it. Mutch and Begley very stiff to be dropped after one game each.

I've liked a lot what I've seen of Ham. In a few matches he's shown composure around the ball in traffic and dodged weaved and waited for the right moment to pass the ball. He's worth putting more game time into.

Liked bits of his game today. Used the ball well for the most part and got it moving too.

Now needs to work on staying involved in games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back