Past #33: Ed Vickers-Willis - delisted at end of 2020 season - won't be offered a new contract - 21 NM games - thanks EVW

Remove this Banner Ad

yJm2RsI.png

Congratulations guys, may have got the absolute steal of this years draft. I heard strong talks that, MFC had a genuine thought on taking him at 3 he was rated that highly, but due to perhaps not having immediate impact, and the chance he could slip to our next pick in 40, we let him slide (Petracca slipping may also have been a factor).

I wonder if he is any relation to Jim, a loony activist from the 60s and 70s also known as Australia's most known nudist. I'm sure a few of the older members here (Horace) will remember him.

Wendell Vickers-Willis

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bryce Lewis says: “We see him as a 190 centimetre midfield type. He certainly played midfield for the Sandringham Dragons, both as a winger and a bit of time in the middle.

“At National level he was a bit of a trouble shooter for his team, playing back with the ability to go on talls or smalls and get the job done.

“He offers some versatility and we think he’s got the capacity to develop into a midfielder at this level.”

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2014-11-27/pick-36-ed-vickerswillis

From Twomey Phantom Draft. (pick 30 to Collingwood)
ED VICKERS-WILLIS – 28/3/96, 190cm, 82kg, Sandringham Dragons
He might not be exactly what Collingwood is after, but Vickers-Willis might be too good to surpass. He will do what's asked of him, which makes him a very coachable player and versatile one too. That's meant at different stages this year the mobile defender has played on key forwards, and also had run-with jobs through the midfield. He doesn't gather heaps of the ball, but is reliable when he's got it and clubs like him for his disciplined approach.

I'm really having trouble getting excited about this pick. Like that he's a good kick but sounds like if we're going to make him into a midfielder we're pretty much building him from the ground up. That's not always a bad thing though.

I wonder if he is any relation to Jim, a loony activist from the 60s and 70s also known as Australia's most known nudist. I'm sure a few of the older members here (Horace) will remember him.
Used to call a mean squaredance.
Sheeesh, I AM getting old.

I'm really having trouble getting excited about this pick. Like that he's a good kick but sounds like if we're going to make him into a midfielder we're pretty much building him from the ground up. That's not always a bad thing though.

"We see him as a midfielder" is a pretty common throwaway line at the draft. I'll be surprised if that's what we do with him in the end.

I think that of our 3 draftees EVW will be the only one to play a senior game next year. With the positions the other two play and their need to put on some size I can't see Durdin or Nielson getting a look in next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back