AFL Player #35: Matt Guelfi - Out for <insert weeks> with a calf strain - 18/3

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really, when he’s got a little time he’s ok as he was last night.
Like yeah he had an okay game last night but his kicking is in the bottom 10 at the club from my viewing, and comfortably so.

Seems like the sort of bloke you can give direction to and he will do it for the benefit of the team.

I'd love to see him given more opportunity to be that bigger body in the centre square. He is 184cm/85kg which is bigger than our current starters. Seems he enjoys the hard stuff, tackles, crashes packs etc. etc. If you ask him to block for his team mates, he'll do that too.

Time to get team players doing team things and this guy strikes me as one who would do anything for the benefits of the team. May not have the class or skill of others but we want role players doing a role.

Can't fault his efforts on Friday, I know they're professionals but I can excuse skills that don't bring the house down when they give it a red hot crack.

Thought he used the ball really well. He may not have the most consistent kick but he gets good penetration at least.

I don’t really see what he adds to the backline though. Would rather play him in a Mitch Robinson wing/half forward style role.

He's tough and not afraid to throw himself around. Perfect utility imho.

As I mentioned in a post above, would be nice to see if he can throw his body around for his team mates in the centre square.

Like yeah he had an okay game last night but his kicking is in the bottom 10 at the club from my viewing, and comfortably so.
I don’t see him much worse if at all than Laverde, Begley, Clarke, Zaka last couple of years, Stewart, Mutch, Hibberd, Townsend, Gleeson, Ambrose. Under pressure these guys struggle as well as do some others I haven’t named. Haven’t even seen enough of rookies. Guelfi looks well balanced kick as he showed on Friday

I don’t see him much worse if at all than Laverde, Begley, Clarke, Zaka last couple of years, Stewart, Mutch, Hibberd, Townsend, Gleeson, Ambrose. Under pressure these guys struggle as well as do some others I haven’t named. Haven’t even seen enough of rookies. Guelfi looks well balanced kick as he showed on Friday
He's worse than all of them bar Laverde, Clarke and Ambrose. Stewart is a really odd player to put there, he's one of our best kicks inside 50.

Guelfi is a poor kick and I would struggle to name more than half a dozen who are worse from my viewing (Laverde, Clarke, Ambrose, Zerk-Thatcher, Bellchambers, Phillips).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

58% career kicking efficiency says otherwise. Not elite but not poor either. Going at 94% by foot in his 3 games this year.
By comparison Zack Merritt has a 61% career kicking efficiency.

Last edited:
66% career disposal efficiency says otherwise. Not elite but not poor either.
Disposal efficiency is a terrible stat to show how good a kick someone is. Luke Brown is nothing special ball in hand and he's top 10 in DE this year. He averages 2.3 clangers a game, and only 0.2 FA again which indicates that he has 2 bad turnovers a game, and when you only get the ball 13-14 times a game...

Disposal efficiency is a terrible stat to show how good a kick someone is. Luke Brown is nothing special ball in hand and he's top 10 in DE this year. He averages 2.3 clangers a game, and only 0.2 FA again which indicates that he has 2 bad turnovers a game, and when you only get the ball 13-14 times a game...

I actually edited my post to kicking efficiency which I should have quoted at the start. It is not a bad stat as clangers certainly count against it.

I actually edited my post to kicking efficiency which I should have quoted at the start. It is not a bad stat as clangers certainly count against it.
There should be a retention rate stat. That'll truly sort the rib eye from the chuck

There should be a retention rate stat. That'll truly sort the rib eye from the chuck

Still think you would find there would not of range in it between the average and the really good.

He neatly kicked one over someone's head on the wing - nearly. If he takes on less in that area and learns his limits he looks passable at this level. As others have said he straight lines the ball, hits bodies hard and would be a magnet when they all go out.

I reckon Guelfi has plenty to offer. Cracks in hard and is genuinely versatile. I still find it weird we haven't tried him as a defensive forward. He's quite strong overhead which is always handy for those types as it makes the less defensive half back flankers quite nervous if they get matched up on them near goal. Wouldn't mind seeing them give it a go with Townsend a likely out this week.

Last 2 pages make for great reading after tonights game. If you're going to play him in the side, play him way up the ground. He isn't a small defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back