Player Watch #38: Tristan Xerri - has signed a 4 year contract extension to the end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

Was too physical for Goldy, he's the exact style of ruck that has given Goldy a heap of trouble over the back end of his career.

Tap work seemed a lot better today but please just clunk a couple more marks around the ground.

Was too physical for Goldy, he's the exact style of ruck that has given Goldy a heap of trouble over the back end of his career.

Tap work seemed a lot better today but please just clunk a couple more marks around the ground.
That’s the problem with him. He offers nothing around the ground. Any AFL level ruck by sheer account of size should be a marking option if nothing else.

That’s the problem with him. He offers nothing around the ground. Any AFL level ruck by sheer account of size should be a marking option if nothing else.
He spanked Goldy today. I predict he will become a great player for us. One of the few players we have that throw weight around. He will improve with experience.

You seem to have forgotten the constant criticism on this board directed at Goldy (Ozzy Oslo) for his weak marking around the ground.

Actually, I'd like to see some statistics to see just how many marks a ruckman averages in different games. Just this round: Conway 2 (Geelong), Moyle 1 (Gold Coast); Grundy 1 (Sydney), Pittonet 2 (Blues); Cameron 6 (Collingwood), O'Brian 2 (Crows); Briggs 1 (Giants), English 2 (Dogs); Jackson 3 (Freo), Marshall 7 (Saints); McInerney 3 (Lions), Nankervis 1 (Tigers); Goldy 1 (Dons), Xerri 2 (Roos).

So this round Xerri is only behind Cameron, Marshall, Jackson, and McInerny, and better than heaps others.

Get off his back!!!

Yep he’s very much good at being physical at stoppage and ruck follow up

But in general play nothing

If we could morph Goldy and x strengths we’d have the best ruckman of all time

Yin and Yang those 2

For a young team I’d rather a physical ruck atm but he needs to learn how to do more in general play in the future

Yep he’s very much good at being physical at stoppage and ruck follow up

But in general play nothing

If we could morph Goldy and x strengths we’d have the best ruckman of all time

Yin and Yang those 2

For a young team I’d rather a physical ruck atm but he needs to learn how to do more in general play in the future
He's got time. For me he's at the stage where I'm really happy with a whole bunch of stuff but hoping that as his AFL experience, and connection with his team mates', grows he'll improve in a handful of other facets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, this is one week you might want to pipe-down on the Xerri-hate. The guy monstered Goldie and was a wrecking ball inside. Was the first game all year where he and LDU had a synergy.

Left it all out on the field. Played great again. Can't ask much more.

Saw quite a few hitouts to advantage too as has been his main gripe on this board.
Is the least of our worries.

Left it all out on the field. Played great again. Can't ask much more.

Saw quite a few hitouts to advantage too as has been his main gripe on this board.
Is the least of our worries.
While they weren’t taken advantage of, I also loved seeing the few times he belted in 15 metres into space for our mids to run onto.

Trusted the mids more with tap work today and it showed in the first half especially.
There is a time and place to grab from ruck and it’s good to know he can do it. He got the balance way better today.

I genuinely think his issue of getting in the mids way is from his time with that really bad VFL team we had.
Defensive or neutral taps to his own feet or near enough so he could help out with trying to clear the ball from stoppage. That VFL side got smacked pillar to post for 2-3 years every week and got beat up on by afl calibre midfields. He consistently had 20+ disposals in those teams and I think it’s abit of a learned behaviour.

Still his first year as the #1 so I think the more he plays and realises his midfield is actually quite a competent clearance unit, the better off he’ll be.

Starting to look more likely taking marks over head as well, couldve clunked a few more put he's coming along.
He was way to strong for Goldie.
He can play, let’s just keep him fit. Ruck sorted. Move onto the million actual problems we have with our list. X isn’t one of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back