Player Watch #4: Aidan Corr

Remove this Banner Ad

I have seen Corr play, and what struck me is that he turns it over a bit.

And yes he's not comparable to Williams. But if we're going to be using cap space and list spots for players that we really need, I'd be going after Williams ahead of Corr.

He does the kick ins a lot of the time for gws so that shows how reliable a kick he is... it's not an either or we have plenty of room for and money for both.... just corr looks like the easier to complete hence apparently gone through first

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The only player type you could possibly mount a case for us being flush with are mid-sized marking forwards and even then there are caveats - Zurhaar hasn't gone on with his 2018-19 development, Taylor and Thomas have about 35 games between them and Bailey is destined for wider spaces upfield.

Basically we need talent and depth everywhere. Our weakest age demographic is in the 23-27yo region thanks to the largely failed 2011/12/14/15 drafts.

If we do sign Corr he's a 195cm 26yo defender. Tick and tick. With the bonus of recent grand final experience.

I haven't seen a huge amount of him but what I have seen suggests he's a mobile versatile player, more Scott Thompson than Josh Walker. I'll take that thanks.

Best case, we get him, he thrives and his nearest list rivals in Hayden, Perez, EVW et al and any of the Pittard, MacMillan, M.Williams etc group who remain all front up fit and in form in 2021 and we have to shuffle a few pieces around. Nice problem to have.

I'm on board with this move if it happens.

The only player type you could possibly mount a case for us being flush with are mid-sized marking forwards and even then there are caveats - Zurhaar hasn't gone on with his 2018-19 development, Taylor and Thomas have about 35 games between them and Bailey is destined for wider spaces upfield.

Basically we need talent and depth everywhere. Our weakest age demographic is in the 23-27yo region thanks to the largely failed 2011/12/14/15 drafts.

If we do sign Corr he's a 195cm 26yo defender. Tick and tick. With the bonus of recent grand final experience.

I haven't seen a huge amount of him but what I have seen suggests he's a mobile versatile player, more Scott Thompson than Josh Walker. I'll take that thanks.

Best case, we get him, he thrives and his nearest list rivals in Hayden, Perez, EVW et al and any of the Pittard, MacMillan, M.Williams etc group who remain all front up fit and in form in 2021 and we have to shuffle a few pieces around. Nice problem to have.

I'm on board with this move if it happens.

Spot on KC.

We have talent gaps everywhere. In fact I'd say there is nowhere we have 100% locked down for the next 5 years, which if you are bottom of the ladder, is a bit bigger then a "quick fix" problem.

LOL. Claytons “Shawing Up the Defence”? The last thing we need is a “Serviceable Backman”. We need genuine Midfielders. Guys that can run both ways and kick. Our biggest hole on our list. That and pressure small forwards. :stern look
It's ok, Z. Backmen as free agents, mids at the pointy end of the draft. We need lots of things.

Just when I thought I'd never recover from the shattering blow of missing out on Dougal Howard last year, suddenly there is a ray of light on the horizon.
Aiden Corr = The Values
Aiden Corr = The Strength

Goldy will be our Ruckman for the vast majority of that time.

He is a pretty resilient athletic beast.

He wants to play for another 5 years, and with good management, who says he can't?

I now understand why all his GWS teammates wanted to stay with him for the holidays.

Reminds me of a mate when upon seeing them at Myers signing stuff, turned to me and said the bloke in the Band is living the dream.

He was shattered when I replied, “that’s their brother”

😂

Reminds me of a mate when upon seeing them at Myers signing stuff, turned to me and said the bloke in the Band is living the dream.

He was shattered when I replied, “that’s their brother”

😂

I heard Matthew Primus said the same thing when he saw the Atkins brothers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He does the kick ins a lot of the time for gws so that shows how reliable a kick he is... it's not an either or we have plenty of room for and money for both.... just corr looks like the easier to complete hence apparently gone through first

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
And corr has basically been shown the door via injury but also team action. Williams could easily go still but nothings been decided.

For those who care about stats or want to know what type of player he is.

From previous years

2019 (small sample size)
Played 8 games (2 early, R22+R23 plus the 4 finals)
He had the 2nd best defensive rating for GWS but had the 5th easiest match ups
Had the 4th best kick rating of 585 players to have 15+ kicks
Defensive 1 on 1s losing 25% of the time

16 games
#1 in the comp for defending a lead allowing a mark 47% of the time
5th in the comp in defensive 1 on 1s losing 18% of the time

23 games
He had the 12th best defensive rating in the comp for key position players
Elite in spoils
#1 in the comp in effecting a spoil on the lead @ 30% of the time
Defensive 1 on 1s losing 27% of the time

2017 - 2020 - Below ave to poor in intercept possessions and intercept marks

I'm still not convinced he's some amazing get.

As long as we draft midfielders, then I guess so be it and see how he goes.

Hopefully people are right unlike some recent flops that were also massively talked up.

Last edited:
Have seen almost all his games the last 4 years. He's a very good player and one Cameron I know rates super highly. He was desperate to get him fit in time for that finals series last year.

I doubt they want to lose him but as a Victorian on a good wage with others coming through or already there who could fill his position (Idun, Stein, Buntine) I assume they were ok to let him go and hope to hold Williams and Perryman.

He's like a slightly bigger, stronger version of EVW. I suspect he'll fit the NM culture well too. Very understated, laid back working class type bloke. Not sure Sydney would have been his style.

A terrific pick up.

It's ok, Z. Backmen as free agents, mids at the pointy end of the draft. We need lots of things.
2 x Gun Half backs, A decent wingman and a small forward.. however Jy can play small forward, i’d be playing LDU, Cunnington, Hig with a spell of Jy, Jed and thomas in the middle.. the rest is 100% competitive enough
Our half backs and a wing have been the worst in the comp for going on decades

I'm still not convinced he's some amazing get.

As long as we draft midfielders, then I guess so be it and see how he goes.

Hopefully people are right unlike some recent flops that were also massively talked up.
Yeah I can see us trading in established defenders to free up our picks for key players or mids. Better than trying to play more young defenders with the likes of Mckay and perez trying to learn the game at the same time.

And corr has basically been shown the door via injury but also team action.

Utter bullshit. They had him on their club podcast 5 days ago!

Keep sewing negativity anyway.

Read past the manufactured headline and look at the actual quote, you blonk!

View attachment 962120

‘If you don’t want to be here, then ship off.’

The statement arrived after 26-year-old defender Aidan Corr confirmed his decision to leave the club at the end of the season.

Seems like they wern't that happy that he wanted to go.

‘If you don’t want to be here, then ship off.’

The statement arrived
after 26-year-old defender Aidan Corr confirmed his decision to leave the club at the end of the season.

Seems like they wern't that happy that he wanted to go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back