AFL Player # 4: Kyle Langford - AA squad, Leading Goalkicker, McKracken Medal, 2nd in Crichton 🥈

Kyle is a...

• pure mid

• pure forward

• mid/forward

• forward/mid

• AFL footballer! (and I don't care where he plays)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

His field kicking is majestic. Brilliant to watch.

Its his creativity by hand that stands out imho. In space, he is learning to take the higher percentage option. He'll learn what he can an cannot bite off. Has been a pleasure to watch him develop this year.

Absolute ******* jet. So rapt he re-signed. Seriously, the sky is the limit with this kid. Can win his own ball, use it beautifully, have time in the contest, make smart decisions, play defensively, take contested marks and kick goals.

All that’s left is finding it more often consistently.

Hird started mentoring Langers somewhere about round 4-5...

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ecome-the-next-big-thing-20180815-p4zxpx.html
Langford turns to Hird to become the next 'big' thing
Send via Email

Emerging star Kyle Langford.

Photo: AAP
Since early last season Kyle Langford has taken a series of steps to meet a request from his coach John Worsfold to fill a vacancy and become the bigger bodied midfielder that the Dons needed as Jobe Watson finished up.

Langford, a key position player who had barely played in the middle at his junior club Macleod and the under-18s, went back to the VFL to learn midfield craft. He took up daily mindfulness – ‘‘five to 10 minutes’’ before bed. Aerobically fit, he worked on his speed and power.

Quietly, he also called his former coach, James Hird, this year and asked for some guidance. Hird, who had coached Langford in the then half-forward’s first season (2015), happily took on a role as a mentor for Langford.

Langford couldn’t be Watson. ‘‘They didn’t want me to be a Jobe because Jobe’s Jobe. I want to be a Kyle kind of thing. But they knew there was going to a void once Jobe left and they saw me as that player.’’

Langford said Worsfold approached him after Essendon’s round four defeat by Adelaide last year, telling him: ‘‘I want you to be a midfielder, so I’d rather you go back to the VFL and work on that.’’
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ecome-the-next-big-thing-20180815-p4zxpx.html

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best part about his game is that he stayed active throughout. In the past when he's only had around 15 touches you can almost forget he's playing for a while, but he did a hell of a lot of work around the ball and put pressure on all game.

Back