4 million per year to drug test every player every game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hair sample at the end of the pre season to look for the longer term traces of endurance drugs, a blood test twice a year and a urine test every 5 or six weeks for every player. That would do it. It would be prudent to do a test in the month before the finals, because if any fitness regime is going to have a taper, that would be about the time for the heavy workload to cease and the players would be given a lighter workload leading up to finals. And if you are going to take any drug to give you that extra endurance, it will be in that period to cope with the workload and to reap the benefit.

They could save money by not testing Richmond and Carlton
Sounds good.

No reason guys can't give a blood test during the mid-season break....

As I see it they need to collect a sample every game and test just some of them.

The players would be reluctant to try anything illegal then as they would not know if their sample was tested or not.

If anything came to light they could then go back and test the samples if needed.
indeed, i have actually thought this and wondered why this hasnt been done before.

take urine samples from every player on the day of every game, test as many as you can afford to and not tell the players whether they are being tested, then freeze all of them.

then, if and when a player gets accused of something, or even when new technology to detect masking agents or whatever is invented, or testing becomes cheaper, then they can retrospectively test any sample they want.

Ridiculous suggestion anyway.

Are Olympic sprinters, weighlifters etc stupid enough to take performance enhancing drugs during competition ?

Of course not, they take them out of competition so they can get maximum performance whilst training.

If they're really serious they will test them out of season - preferably between December and March - when the players are really doing it tough pre season.

But then, I don't think they're really serious about it.

It is a venepuncture, not surgery!!! You get a small bruise around the vena cava if you're unlucky. Some hospital patients have blood taken multiple times per day, so I doubt fully fit AFL players would be "scarred" by a blood test 2 to 3 times a week.
LOL, I know you are trying to sound as if you know what you are talking about, but do you know that the vena cava's (there are two of them, superior and inferior) are the major veins that return blood from the body to the heart?

I'm thinking there must be a less invasive way of getting a blood sample.:eek::D

LOL, I know you are trying to sound as if you know what you are talking about, but do you know that the vena cava's (there are two of them, superior and inferior) are the major veins that return blood from the body to the heart?

I'm thinking there must be a less invasive way of getting a blood sample.:eek::D
you could always have some bloke floating around the scrimages with a swab waiting for the odd blood nose

I say do it. I can admit that there are some players on the WCE list who have had drugs in the past, but im tired of seeing the 95% (rest of our squad) get called druggies as well.

If the AFL wants to get serious about this, if the AFL wants to remove all doubt about who is and isnt taking drugs, then they should go through with this. Some tests should be conducted immediately before games, some on the weekend and some mid-week.

AFL will most likely not take this route, and therefore leave us all speculating about it. :rolleyes:

They already are tested out of season aren't they?
They do, but it seems they are concentrating on NPED's rather than some of the endurance and steroid drugs which would make more sense given this is their heaviest training cycle in any season for both endurance and muscle development. The season is usually a maintenance training regime rather than a development regime, except for the odd peak or two in their cycle.

Im not condoning drugs, but imagine the spectacle if drugs where legal in footy, it would be amazing!
Imagaine an 'All drugs Olympic games'?
I'd love to watch them!

P.S, to all you kids on BF, drugs make your balls shrink and kill your brain cells, and you will DIE heaps earlier than most!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back