Autopsy AFL Game Day experience is getting worse every year.

Remove this Banner Ad

You can still see the city from Optus from the viewing platforms / bars on the top deck.

Maybe the MCG needs an outwards extension on level 2 or 3 just like this and the tree huggers can go stare at nature during the breaks to get their fill as it would have been at least 30 minutes since they saw a tree outside the stadium. Maybe it already has this as I haven't been there for awhile and didn't spend my time looking for options of seeing what was outside the stadium while i was in it.
Plenty of willow in the museum.

No, I want something that is built for spectators like the Adelaide oval.
The MCG is built for spectators. 100,000 of them.

Anyway, I get what you're saying, but the obvious fix is just for you to attend VFL matches or local football instead of AFL matches. I can't see them knocking out a chunk of the GSS to make way for some trees and hill.

All stadiums have different deals but they cost around 1-2 Billion to build and are open for 5-6 hours around 50-100 times a year. That is a lot of money to recoup and keeping a 1-2 Billion facility maintained isn't going to be free. The rent to access this captive audience reflects this and it's passed back onto the user who pays.

Your whole list of gripes are all 1st world problems but the tree one takes the cake. I love how people complain about concrete when it's the only building material that is cheap and strong enough to hold up a stand with 30,000 people in it. If we clad all of it to hide it in fire ******ant stuff, it'll probably add a dollar to the Beer price which will get more whinging.
Factually wrong post

It's been mentioned already, but my only gripe is the constant noise.

However, the kids these days don't seem to mind it.

Perhaps it's just a case that us "oldies" aren't the target demographic anymore, and why should we be?

I think you're overstating how big the catering company has to be. You don't need thousands of staff, hundreds of outlets and millions of dollars worth of food to feed an MCG crowd.
A festival like Meredith Music Festival sells a spot for about $10,000 ,vets the pricing and over the 3 days the punters get cheap food and the van holders make about 5 to 10 grand profit minus wages.
I don't need to know the catering business to know the current system is an exploitative rort. I mean $8 or $9 for a tap beer or $8 for a handful of chips is a rort.
If people had a decent breakfast, made some ham rolls & a poweraid, watch the game, them go home for dinner, I think they'd survive overall.

Then again, if you want a guts full of beer & crap food, take a fist full of dollars with you. ;)

Because it’s in my blood.
err we all have blood but we perceive everything as to what it means to us personally. One size doesn't fit all is what I
remember. I wish people would stop seeing things as something that satisfies us as individuals. We are not all that selfish are we?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does it take long to get inside Marvel these days?

Don't think I have been there since pre covid but want to take my son to a game this year
Now that physical tickets are back again I think it will be ok.

I remember in 2021 there was a massive crowd waiting outside every gate of the stadium for Good Friday…I get inside and the total crowd is 28k.

err we all have blood but we perceive everything as to what it means to us personally. One size doesn't fit all is what I
remember. I wish people would stop seeing things as something that satisfies us as individuals. We are not all that selfish are we?
Err,I was asked a question and answered on my behalf , no one else.

Classic Leeda post, love it

If people had a decent breakfast, made some ham rolls & a poweraid, watch the game, them go home for dinner, I think they'd survive overall.

Then again, if you want a guts full of beer & crap food, take a fist full of dollars with you. ;)
That's ok for the odd occasion a game actually starts at 2pm anymore - these days you're more often than not going to a game starting at 440pm or 730pm - yeah you can still sort out food around it like you said but the timing means you're more likely to be at the game during dinner time. Not so much an issue for adults but kids get impatient and want to eat when they're hungry.

Then move to Adelaide
thats what I have done...

Funny thing is, I just posted on a recent Fitzroy thread.

I enjoy going to SANFL grounds.

Its cheaper. I am on concession.

Saying that, $20 is enough for me. $10 to get in, $5 for a meat pie and $5 or a can of beer.

Remember as a young lad, driving to Moorabin with an esky full of BYO piss, Dad would get "charged up" during the ressies, abuse everyone in sight before a cheeky drink-drive home at 3 quarter time (because the Saints were s*t lol)... those were the good old days. Can't even call an umpire a *** anymore without being kicked out. Game's s**t.
And that is one of the few things I never got to experience. I was Born in the late 1980s. So that means I never got to go to theold VFL grounds like Princes Park, Moorabbin oval and Windy Hill etc.

All the Victorian based sides, except for geelong, play most of their home games at either the MCG or Docklands.

There should be a view of something natural or some ground character of some sort.
The G has no character anymore.
A small grassed area is not too much to ask.
Put temporary seating on it for sell out games if you want.

Again... Back in the 1980s and 1990s, the old Suburban grounds were slowly phased out. In the 1990s, Victoria Park, Western Oval, Moorabbin oval, Windy Hill and Princes Park were used. Some of the capacity of those grounds ranged from 15-25,000.

Even in the 2000s, Princes Park was the only Suburban ground that hosted AFL games. I would love Freo to play games vs the likes of Carlton or North Melbourne at Princes Park.

MCG has its identity. So does docklands to a degree, even though most people hate it as it is souless.

Adelaide oval is a favourite of mine with that Hill and the old scoreboard.

Perth Stadium I like because it looks similar to the MCG with those grand stands

Again.... Maybe I am different to everyone. But I am happy living in SA, watching SANFL games and going to SANFL grounds as a cheap alternative

Boxing Day
Grand Final Day
Anzac Day
Carl v Coll
Carl v Rich
Coll v Rich
Rich v Ess

Ive just named 7 days off the top of my head for the reason they want it so big
Name one of those apart from the GF that gets 100k?

Allow street vendors into the ground, use customer ratings on a weekly basis to decide who gets the gig the following week.

And that is one of the few things I never got to experience. I was Born in the late 1980s. So that means I never got to go to theold VFL grounds like Princes Park, Moorabbin oval and Windy Hill etc.

All the Victorian based sides, except for geelong, play most of their home games at either the MCG or Docklands.

Again... Back in the 1980s and 1990s, the old Suburban grounds were slowly phased out. In the 1990s, Victoria Park, Western Oval, Moorabbin oval, Windy Hill and Princes Park were used. Some of the capacity of those grounds ranged from 15-25,000.

Even in the 2000s, Princes Park was the only Suburban ground that hosted AFL games. I would love Freo to play games vs the likes of Carlton or North Melbourne at Princes Park.

MCG has its identity. So does docklands to a degree, even though most people hate it as it is souless.

Adelaide oval is a favourite of mine with that Hill and the old scoreboard.

Perth Stadium I like because it looks similar to the MCG with those grand stands

Again.... Maybe I am different to everyone. But I am happy living in SA, watching SANFL games and going to SANFL grounds as a cheap alternative

There are a lot of people who enjoy the community level of footy. Or any sport really. Just less of them than ever before.

You get to know players & club volunteers. Its quite sociable really.

Those who have only ever gone to mass sports events like VFL/AFL have no idea.

The AFL have dominated the media like never before, so they crush the lower leagues for attention & support. Thats been the sad thing about the rise of the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back