Autopsy AFL Game Day experience is getting worse every year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
The Docklands is a very uninviting stadium.
The MCG is all concrete with no historical stands left.
Both these stadiums have no grass, no trees, wall to wall advertising, digital video adds on the fences, expensive junk food, expensive beer.
The upper deck at the G is unwatchable.
The security and bag checks are over the top.

Let's face it, it's all designed for corporate sponsor exposure on TV now.

If I were to make changes I would:
1/ Stop selling the catering and alcohol rights and provide normal priced food and some healthy food.
2/ Get rid of digital advertising
3/ Bring back white apparel for all umpires. Take advertising off umpires and off the ball and off goal posts.
4/ Provide a grassed area and trees .
5/ Cut the price of upper deck tickets in half.

Anyone know what percentage of the AFL's income is from crowd attendance?

maxresdefault.jpg

yeah absolutely no parkland, grass or trees near the MCG

Yeah I'd rather the G but a couple games a year at Marvel helps mix it up a bit.
I think it helps that I live in the west so getting to and from is easy, but honestly I think it’s great. Can certainly be improved but we’re not doing that by reduced bag checks and removing digital advertising as the op has suggested 😂

The Docklands is a very uninviting stadium.
The MCG is all concrete with no historical stands left.
Both these stadiums have no grass, no trees, wall to wall advertising, digital video adds on the fences, expensive junk food, expensive beer.
The upper deck at the G is unwatchable.
The security and bag checks are over the top.

Let's face it, it's all designed for corporate sponsor exposure on TV now.

If I were to make changes I would:
1/ Stop selling the catering and alcohol rights and provide normal priced food and some healthy food.
2/ Get rid of digital advertising
3/ Bring back white apparel for all umpires. Take advertising off umpires and off the ball and off goal posts.
4/ Provide a grassed area and trees .
5/ Cut the price of upper deck tickets in half.

Tell me you're getting old without saying 'im getting old'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone who doesn't notice any parkland around or near the G is clearly blind
In the ground. You can't see anything but concrete and advertising in the ground. The adelaide oval has it right.
The MCG was obsessed with gettin a 100,000 capacity which is only relevent once a year. They knocked down every historical stand.
Even when there's 25,000 people there it's a souless experience.

In the ground. You can't see anything but concrete and advertising in the ground. The adelaide oval has it right.
The MCG was obsessed with gettin a 100,000 capacity which is only relevent once a year. They knocked down every historical stand.
Even when there's 25,000 people there it's a souless experience.

Boxing Day
Grand Final Day
Anzac Day
Carl v Coll
Carl v Rich
Coll v Rich
Rich v Ess

Ive just named 7 days off the top of my head for the reason they want it so big

Maybe stop going to AFL and go to local footy - get back to the grass roots you so desire (local footy is great btw, especially if you support a team)
Maybe they could have developed the stadium with the people in mind to have an enjoyable day instead of thinking of more ways to ecploit people for $$$$.
It is ruined now imo.

I think it helps that I live in the west so getting to and from is easy, but honestly I think it’s great. Can certainly be improved but we’re not doing that by reduced bag checks and removing digital advertising as the op has suggested 😂
Does it take long to get inside Marvel these days?

Don't think I have been there since pre covid but want to take my son to a game this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back