Autopsy AFL Game Day experience is getting worse every year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe they could have developed the stadium with the people in mind to have an enjoyable day instead of thinking of more ways to ecploit people for $$$$.
It is ruined now imo.
I enjoy my day mostly at both the MCG and Docklands. I would like cheaper beer and some non-greasy food but that is pretty minor really.

As for ruined - not for me. I'd much rather watch the footy in a big stadium than at one of the current VFL grounds. I have complained about Kardinia Park before but even that has better sight lines than watching from ground level where you can't see the other side of the ground.

The cheap seats at the MCG are a long way away but at Docklands it's about the height of the goal posts. To me, that is pretty good for your cheapest seats. Food options at Docklands is also far superior to the MCG (my opinion - others may differ).

There is no doubt the experience isnt as good as i remember as a kid (but then again, rose glasses and all that), the things i hate are:

1. The constant noise as others have pointed at. Be nice to chat to my mate next to me rather than listen to ads/music/home team media dept
2. Go to MCG (for example), crowd of 20k, 30k, 40k and have to sit up the top of grandstand looking over 80k, 70k, 60k empty seats because they want me to buy a reserved seat....
3. No kick-to-kick after the game - think we've done it twice with the kids on certain days they've allowed it
4. No reserves game to watch before the game (used to enjoy getting there at half time of the reserves as a kid)

In the ground. You can't see anything but concrete and advertising in the ground. The adelaide oval has it right.
The MCG was obsessed with gettin a 100,000 capacity which is only relevent once a year. They knocked down every historical stand.
Even when there's 25,000 people there it's a souless experience.

You want trees… on the ground?

5/ Cut the price of upper deck tickets in half.

Or just have more walk up general admission seating.

It's a horrible sight seeing level 2 with heaps of empty seats whilst folks pack in on the top level. Bring back first in best dressed, with perhaps a curtain raiser to spread the arrival times of patrons. (This would also improve the 'getting in to the ground' experience)

2/ Get rid of digital advertising

I gave up my annual seat at KP because of this. The seat is low-ish (not near the fence by any means) and for night games, every time the action is on the other side of the ground, you can't see s**t because of the way-too-bright-and-animated boundary fence advertising.

We have all these themed rounds.

We should have 'punters/plebs' round. This is where all the media and associated AFL w***ers have to attend the game the same way the rest of us do. Actually make it a few rounds in the middle of the season. See how they like it.

The media in particular have less and less clue about all of this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember as a young lad, driving to Moorabin with an esky full of BYO piss, Dad would get "charged up" during the ressies, abuse everyone in sight before a cheeky drink-drive home at 3 quarter time (because the Saints were s**t lol)... those were the good old days. Can't even call an umpire a **** anymore without being kicked out. Game's s**t.

The Docklands is a very uninviting stadium.
The MCG is all concrete with no historical stands left.
Both these stadiums have no grass, no trees, wall to wall advertising, digital video adds on the fences, expensive junk food, expensive beer.
The upper deck at the G is unwatchable.
The security and bag checks are over the top.

Let's face it, it's all designed for corporate sponsor exposure on TV now.

If I were to make changes I would:
1/ Stop selling the catering and alcohol rights and provide normal priced food and some healthy food.
2/ Get rid of digital advertising
3/ Bring back white apparel for all umpires. Take advertising off umpires and off the ball and off goal posts.
4/ Provide a grassed area and trees .
5/ Cut the price of upper deck tickets in half.

6/ Stop playing crap music at ridiculous volumes during breaks in play. Almost impossible to have a chat to the person next to you at quarter/half time due to the over the top volume of the shitty pop music/ads

I don't have a particularly good understanding of autism and its different severities but I do wonder if all of these sensory rooms they have put it would be needed nearly as much if the game day experience didn't involve so much assault on the senses.

Have a friend who really struggles with his son's enjoyment of the game because of all the loud s**t. Hey AFL, you purport to be inclusive and the champion of minorities - how about a round dedicated to these poor folk, where you STFU basically. Supermarkets do it, why can't you?

Why should I have to. The MCG is meant to be the best stadium in the world. If you like being treated like a chump by money hungry entities that's your perogative.
How many stadiums in the world have nice lawns to have a picnic rug on under a willow tree?

It's over an hr for a lot of fans by train.
Crowded platforms post game and crowded trains
It's literally 2 stops away from the MCG, and the platforms are no less packed than MCG platforms post game.

I'm going to the footy, not worrying about the ambience of the AFL facility in the 21st century.

Imagine him sitting at the MCG while his tigers win another flag and just being grumpy because he cant see any trees

Before they won their 3 premierships i could understand a Richmond supporter wanting to hang themselves from a tree after another terrible loss 😜

How many stadiums in the world have nice lawns to have a picnic rug on under a willow tree?
There should be a view of something natural or some ground character of some sort.
The G has no character anymore.
A small grassed area is not too much to ask.
Put temporary seating on it for sell out games if you want.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back