Autopsy AFL Game Day experience is getting worse every year.

Remove this Banner Ad

There should be a view of something natural or some ground character of some sort.
The G has no character anymore.
Yeah, especially when half empty. Great when it is packed but it needs something to break up the wall to wall concrete.

Even what they have at Carrara and Sydney Showgrounds looks better.

Adelaide have basically nailed it though.

There should be a view of something natural or some ground character of some sort.
The view is the spectacle of whatever event is taking place at the time.

I don't have a particularly good understanding of autism and its different severities but I do wonder if all of these sensory rooms they have put it would be needed nearly as much if the game day experience didn't involve so much assault on the senses.

Have a friend who really struggles with his son's enjoyment of the game because of all the loud s**t. Hey AFL, you purport to be inclusive and the champion of minorities - how about a round dedicated to these poor folk, where you STFU basically. Supermarkets do it, why can't you?
Is this serious or a troll?

So effectively you want a round where there is silence and dimmed lights?

Visual trees like the Adelaide oval. Some different looking stands instead of one homogenous concrete block. You could be in Dubai, there's no way of knowing what ground you're at.

I don’t think there’s been trees visible from inside the G for probably 100 years. Adelaide is something different but it’s through necessity - the trees and scoreboard are protected, otherwise the stands would have continued right around. It’s nice now, but they had to put up with that shithole Football Park for decades to get there.

If I were to make changes I would:
1/ Stop selling the catering and alcohol rights and provide normal priced food and some healthy food.
2/ Get rid of digital advertising
3/ Bring back white apparel for all umpires. Take advertising off umpires and off the ball and off goal posts.
4/ Provide a grassed area and trees .
5/ Cut the price of upper deck tickets in half.
Biggest issue for me is gambling bullshit.

Last game I went to I was the Sydney/ Dees final and I waited in line for about half an hour for a drink, the TV's closest to me were showing *in' greyhound racing instead of the game I'd paid to watch. Pathetic.

I don’t think there’s been trees visible from inside the G for probably 100 years. Adelaide is something different but it’s through necessity - the trees and scoreboard are protected, otherwise the stands would have continued right around. It’s nice now, but they had to put up with that shithole Football Park for decades to get there.
At least one of the old stands should have been kept imo eg Members Stand

One small example of why Marvel isn’t liked very much - they used to have several bars to go to pre game/half time/post game but they disappeared- MCG on the other hand has added a few little bars all around the ground.

Eh I don't think its that bad. Everyone here needs to settle down a bit.

All that QT/HT stuff I don't really care for but you know what I do? I just *ing ignore it, it's really not that hard. I still look at the stats or have a chat with my mates or whoever I've gone with.

Idk what it's like at every game but I don't even remember there being music after the goals. If there was it was minimal and just didn't bother me lol

Drinks and food is expensive but I've started sneaking in alcohol which is actually pretty easy.
And I just time my eating before or after the game, and I might bring in a few snacks. Thermos with Hotdogs is still grouse as.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's literally 2 stops away from the MCG, and the platforms are no less packed than MCG platforms post game.
It isn't the "stops away" which is the issue. It's the fact the majority of the trains from the east and south-east stop at Flinders and you have to change.
Live past dandenong? You also have to change at dandenong for a connecting service

Trains to the east and south-east often cancelled at no notice after the footy. Countless times I was stuck in the city (before 24 hr weekend services obviously) because they'd cancelled the trains with no replacement

At least one of the old stands should have been kept imo eg Members Stand
The old members stand was a sh*thole. The MCG is fine. The facilities are good, and when the southern stand gets a Reno they’ll be even better. If Delaware or Spotless don’t do the catering, then who does? I’m not sure you understand what an undertaking it is to look after food and bev on such a huge scale. There hasn’t been a hill at the G for over a century. Old Trafford, Anfield, Nou Camp, Wembley, Allianz Arena Munchen etc etc are all world class stadiums, none has a bill or a tree in sight.

You essentially want something that doesn’t exist in major sports. Go watch Port Melbourne at North Port oval if that’s what you’re into.

The viewing experience isn't bad at Marvel.
The trip to get there is a nightmare if you have to drive though
Not coming from the North it isn't. Much better for me personally than MCG.

Possibly, but you end up with a funny mix of old and new then. Look at the SCG… it was always a really nice looking ground, but now it just looks a bit silly with those two tiny stands dwarfed by the massive new ones.
It still adds a bit of character and sense of history imo.

Ladies’ Pavilion – Built 1896 – Originally females-only members’ seating; also used for general public admission during events with low attendance. Now general members seating.
Members’ Pavilion – Built 1878 – Members’ seating. also contains the dressing rooms used by Australian Cricket Team.

A small grassed area is not too much to ask.
Put temporary seating on it for sell out games if you want.
They play on the grassed area at the G.

Is this serious or a troll?

So effectively you want a round where there is silence and dimmed lights?
1. Serious in my point, particularly with the AFL outwardly portraying an inclusiveness narrative. Not particularly serious about the practicalities of a STFU round.

2. Of course not. I see the world in shades of grey. Just wondering if the massive ramp up in noise and light etc has had an effect on those people on the milder end of the spectrum. Get rid of the shouting into the PA.

It still adds a bit of character and sense of history imo.

Ladies’ Pavilion – Built 1896 – Originally females-only members’ seating; also used for general public admission during events with low attendance. Now general members seating.
Members’ Pavilion – Built 1878 – Members’ seating. also contains the dressing rooms used by Australian Cricket Team.

Yeah it does, but it doesn’t really work any more imho. The ground looked alright 20 years ago when the rest of the stands were still more modern but smaller. Now if just looks stupid for mine. Two new stands either side of the old MCG members stand wouldn’t look good either.

It isn't the "stops away" which is the issue. It's the fact the majority of the trains from the east and south-east stop at Flinders and you have to change.
Live past dandenong? You also have to change at dandenong for a connecting service

Trains to the east and south-east often cancelled at no notice after the footy. Countless times I was stuck in the city (before 24 hr weekend services obviously) because they'd cancelled the trains with no replacement
Why don't you just come out and say you want VFL park to come back.

1. Serious in my point, particularly with the AFL outwardly portraying an inclusiveness narrative. Not particularly serious about the practicalities of a STFU round.

2. Of course not. I see the world in shades of grey. Just wondering if the massive ramp up in noise and light etc has had an effect on those people on the milder end of the spectrum. Get rid of the shouting into the PA.
Is the PA really loud at games though? Maybe the music can be but I wouldn't think it's louder than the roar of the crowds. I would say it is much less than other sports like rugby, nbl and any American sport

My advice to someone with a child like this is headphones. It's what I used of my kids when they were little and the noise was too much

The old members stand was a sh*thole. The MCG is fine. The facilities are good, and when the southern stand gets a Reno they’ll be even better. If Delaware or Spotless don’t do the catering, then who does? I’m not sure you understand what an undertaking it is to look after food and bev on such a huge scale. There hasn’t been a hill at the G for over a century. Old Trafford, Anfield, Nou Camp, Wembley, Allianz Arena Munchen etc etc are all world class stadiums, none has a bill or a tree in sight.

You essentially want something that doesn’t exist in major sports. Go watch Port Melbourne at North Port oval if that’s what you’re into.
The old members stand had history of eg Don Bradman and other AFL icons using it. What do you mean by shithole? You can renovate and preserve these stands.
You don't need corporate caterers who exist only to make money.
They sell the catering rights for big profit not for quality services.
The AFL could start there own catering at grounds. Hire someone to come up with affordable foods and a wide variety of foods.
They can make a small profit that way instead of exploiting people.

The old members stand had history of eg Don Bradman and other AFL icons using it. What do you mean by shithole? You can renovate and preserve these stands.
You don't need corporate caterers who exist only to make money.
They sell the catering rights for big profit not for quality services.
The AFL could start there own catering at grounds. Hire someone to come up with affordable foods and a wide variety of foods.
They can make a small profit that way instead of exploiting people.
So a catering company?

It was a hole, who cares who may have dropped their guts in it. The new members is excellent, great facilities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back