Past #4: Shaun Higgins - Higgo traded to Geelong for 2020 #30 - 2x Syds/108 NM gms/96 NM gls - thx Higgo

Remove this Banner Ad

Higgo netted the dogs pick 27 in 2014.

he netted us pick 30 as a 30 year old.

We chose to let him go. If we wanted him to stay he would have.

deal was pretty fair.

Its unders due to sentiment, but trades aren't done on sentiment.

Hope he wins their BnF and the Norm Smith in a losing grand final.

So this year we used Higgins predominately across Half-back & wing roles. Shaun wasn't happy with that and we told him he was welcome to explore his options elsewhere if it meant he could get himself a longer contract and play in his preferred position.

There was no malice in it, but really it just came down to whether or not Higgins was happy spending the last year on his contract being used to plug holes where we needed him to. Would've liked him to retire a North player but you can't really blame him for feeling like he still has more to offer.
I think we agree... he absolutely does have more to offer, and I don’t resent his choice whatsoever if that’s how it went down.

I just struggle with the apparent narrative of the binary options of a) play on a flank for a year, or b) trade for a pick.

I’m pragmatic about the how it has worked out, but would love to know what consideration there was for an option of c) 2 years as a gun player, mentor and leader in his best role for much of the time.

Was rapt when he came over from the Bulldogs as I always thought he was a very highly skilled player. He definitely proved that in the 6 years he has been at the club. Its sad that he is leaving but I wish Shaun all the best. It will be hard to barrack hard against Geelong because of Shaun, but I am sure I can find a way.

Regarding the pick we got for him, I see no point in arguing whether we got overs or under. The pick is the pick and the only time we can argue whether it was a good outcome for the club, will be in a few years time. Whether we pick a kid at that pick or whether we use that pick towards bettering our draft position, until that outcome is determined and we allow time to assess, its pointless. It may be a bust or it also may be a blessing. Time will tell. Its a bit like the draft last year. I am pretty sure not many expected the picks we took but I am sure many are pretty happy with them now. Perez looks like he will be a steal, Mahony has plenty of footy smarts and Comben is highly rated at the club. I think the club did really well, so lets just let them do their thing again.

I think we agree... he absolutely does have more to offer, and I don’t resent his choice whatsoever if that’s how it went down.

I just struggle with the apparent narrative of the binary options of a) play on a flank for a year, or b) trade for a pick.

I’m pragmatic about the how it has worked out, but would love to know what consideration there was for an option of c) 2 years as a gun player, mentor and leader in his best role for much of the time.

Yeah I don't know exactly why we decided to pull the trigger. I'm hoping it means we plan to give TT, Zurhaar, LMac, Taylor etc. more midfield minutes while we've still got guys like Cunners & Goldy around at their best.

IIRC part of the reason Higgins wanted to leave the Dogs was because they were playing him HBF?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back