Past #4: Shaun Higgins - Higgo traded to Geelong for 2020 #30 - 2x Syds/108 NM gms/96 NM gls - thx Higgo

Remove this Banner Ad

This is stating what you wish and doesn't line up with the facts.

I'm inclined to accept this as valid. I'd be very surprised (pleasantly) if Higgo stays and we won't be getting a first round pick for him. No chance of it.
Then you are quite happy for the big clubs and take what they want and give * all? Time to make a stand a put a price on Higgos head so to speak.

I'm inclined to accept this as valid. I'd be very surprised (pleasantly) if Higgo stays and we won't be getting a first round pick for him. No chance of it.
Then he can stay. We have the upper hand. We have played hard ball with Brown. We ruthlessly Cut 11 from our list. Assistant Coaches have got the flick. Continue the Ruthlessness. :stern look

geelong's first rounder for higgins and our second rounder seems fair to me. small pick upgrade for us, geelong don't move down too much in the order. would make the offer more appealing for them since they don't want to completely throw themselves out of the draft
* Them! On “Our” Terms! :stern look

There are wins and then there are wins. We have Geelong over a barrel. If they so desperately want their “DangerFlag” then they can cough up. First Rounder or Chri Cotts can slurp on my hairy balls. :stern look

The fact he is contracted means that they likely will pay overs, within reason.

I will be surprised if it’s a straight swap for 18 (or one of their other firsts for that matter). Obviously that’s what we are aiming for, but I’m thinking it will likely require us to send back a later pick. I hope it’s not 25, but can see it happening.

Then he can stay. We have the upper hand. We have played hard ball with Brown. We ruthlessly Cut 11 from our list. Assistant Coaches have got the flick. Continue the Ruthlessness. :stern look

But the club is explicitly not playing hard ball with Higgins. He's been given the option of finding himself a better deal.

I have actually, it seems you are quite happy to go with the narrative Caro and Dumbo continue to churn out. Do you understand where we stand on the situation?

LOL. Gone the personal attack route.

Let's just wait and see what happens. If Higgins stays because we played hard ball, or leaves for a first rounder, then you're right and I'm wrong.

If he leaves and we get a second rounder or similar in net trade terms, you'd have to say I'm right, no?

In 2017 Geelong gave up pick 19 and a rd 2 2018 pick (35) for a 33 y.o. Ablett.
Gold Coast sent Ablett, pick 25 and a rd 4 2018 pick (55)? to Geelong.
So basically an upgrade from pick 25 to 19 in 2017, and pick 55 to 35 in 2018.
Ablett was a returning club legend.
Do we really think we are going to do better than this for Higgins, who turns 33 in March?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's contracted therefore he only leaves IF we are benefited sufficiently from it.

If he goes and the offer is more of a detriment, then we may as well cut the list management as well and start again.

If a club is in a 'premiership window' and the difference is one player that we have, the price for that player would be substantial. We're not a ******* charity for quality players. Quality player goes, quality pick comes in.

Just to reiterate...

The club benefits the most from a contracted player. End of.

LOL. Gone the personal attack route.

Let's just wait and see what happens. If Higgins stays because we played hard ball, or leaves for a first rounder, then you're right and I'm wrong.

If he leaves and we get a second rounder or similar in net trade terms, you'd have to say I'm right, no?
No, and no personal attacks but I ask you again to prove? All you have done is regurg the line from the arse breathers of the media.

Don't go straw man on me, Z. It's not my personal preference, but that's what's going down.
LOL. I get that. :stern look

But * that s**t of allowing Higgins to go for a 2nd Rounder because he is 33. If it was me I’d be saying, “Now Listen up you *faces, if you want Higgins you can cough up a First Rounder. Take it or leave it Jerkoffs”. :stern look

In 2017 Geelong gave up pick 19 and a rd 2 2018 pick (35) for a 33 y.o. Ablett.
Gold Coast sent Ablett, pick 25 and a rd 4 2018 pick (55)? to Geelong.
So basically an upgrade from pick 25 to 19 in 2017, and pick 55 to 35 in 2018.
Ablett was a returning club legend.
Do we really think we are going to do better than this for Higgins, who turns 33 in March?

Ablett was uncontracted and was going to retire otherwise, but agree that this idea that we're desperate to keep a contracted Higgins and Geelong will have to pay overs to prise him out is coming from emotion and not logic.

He's been given the option of seeking a longer deal elsewhere if that's what he wants to do, as we can't guarantee him beyond 2021. He's not being forced out by any means but we're also not going to play hardball and expect a high pick for him either after giving him that option.

It won't be for nothing but it's not going to be a big haul either.

LOL. I get that. :stern look

But fu** that sh*t of allowing Higgins to go for a 2nd Rounder because he is 33. If it was me I’d be saying, “Now Listen up you fu**faces, if you want Higgins you can cough up a First Rounder. Take it or leave it Jerkoffs”. :stern look

Haha, I'd be more than happy for you to lead negotiations in this manner.

I hope I'm wrong but I just don't believe allowing Higgins to leave is all about maximising the return from trading him. We'll find out soon enough.

I mean, players like Higgo don't grow on trees. He's consistent, gets a lot of the ball, works his arse off and has the ability to clutch win games.

Does that sound like a pick 30+ player?

I don't think the club is stupid enough to let him go knowing how much he can contribute significantly to a team with a premiership window. They would want something good enough in return.

Ablett was uncontracted and was going to retire otherwise, but agree that this idea that we're desperate to keep a contracted Higgins and Geelong will have to pay overs to prise him out is coming from emotion and not logic.

He's been given the option of seeking a longer deal elsewhere if that's what he wants to do, as we can't guarantee him beyond 2021. He's not being forced out by any means but we're also not going to play hardball and expect a high pick for him either after giving him that option.

It won't be for nothing but it's not going to be a big haul either.
Show me the facts that the club has told Higgo to find a better deal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back