Past #40: Ben Mabon - delisted at the end of the 2013 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Was always going to be a long term project.

Yep. As long as he continues to show physical development and improvement in is game, and the club continue with their patient approach, he'll get another couple of years. The ball's in his court this year though. He really has to start playing very well at VFL level on a consistent basis.

If he doesn't start to show something at VFL level then I reckon he should be moved on or put back on the rookie list for 2014.

He simply doesn't get enough of the footy at VFL level. Pretty much offers nothing around the ground in the games I watched last year. Also, he doesn't have any impact when he goes forward (which isn't very often)

He has ability, but I doubt he will develop quick enough to retain a spot.

Personally, I would send him back to NB, but keep having an input in to his programme and have another close look at him in 2-3 years.

I think the days of drafting 18 year old spec ruckman are coming to an end.

Probably be delisted. 2013 critical to take a significant step forward if it isnt to happen.

Speight and Richardson will be gone first though so he may be rookied.

Hale and Hamish didn't make any meaningful senior contributions until their 4th seasons.

Given Ben is more speculative than either, a non-debut in 2013 will not mean much.

If he is not starting to dominate VFL next year - and in what position is up for debate - it may count against him.

I'm not writing him off either. He took a step forward last season and I'm hoping he kicks butt in 2013. The ball's partly in his court. He can't take a ''woe is me'' attitude.

I am pretty sure we signed him up for 3 more years last year. Based on that the club has good faith in him and obviously see something worth hanging on to.

Signed a one year extension in August last year.

He has ability, but I doubt he will develop quick enough to retain a spot.

Personally, I would send him back to NB, but keep having an input in to his programme and have another close look at him in 2-3 years.

I think the days of drafting 18 year old spec ruckman are coming to an end.

I'd say its pretty much done. Hardly any 18 year olds were picked in theain draft this year.

I have heard that we played a part in getting Darcy Fort to Werribee...if Currie was gone by our pick we were going to go for Fort instead. Still very interested in him, but the club has told him he needs to put on 10+ kg!

I'd say its pretty much done. Hardly any 18 year olds were picked in theain draft this year.

I have heard that we played a part in getting Darcy Fort to Werribee...if Currie was gone by our pick we were going to go for Fort instead. Still very interested in him, but the club has told him he needs to put on 10+ kg!
Came in at 84 kg, and is 203cm. One to keep an eye on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You need Ma minimum of 4 ruckman on your list
1 first choice ruckman
2 back up capable of playing, mature body run out 70- 80 % of games
3 ruck- forward/back
4 project ruckman - mabon

He does not need to play any senior games to remain the list at the end of the year just develop in to a better ruckman at vfl level

Sawny will probably be gone at the end of the year and replaced by a more suitable long term project like Fort.

Sawny will probably be gone at the end of the year and replaced by a more suitable long term project like Fort.

I think this will be the case. The club has also stayed in contact constantly with Myles Bolger from Perth. Tried to get him over here to play in the VFl at nth ballarat but work commitments stopped him from making the move

I think this will be the case. The club has also stayed in contact constantly with Myles Bolger from Perth. Tried to get him over here to play in the VFl at nth ballarat but work commitments stopped him from making the move

Interesting. Always good to hear the club has its tentacles (yes tentacles) out there.

Just had a peek at Myles' youtube. Funny kicking style.

Interesting. Always good to hear the club has its tentacles (yes tentacles) out there.

Just had a peek at Myles' youtube. Funny kicking style.

You would be surprised at how much we stay in contact with potential draftees. Especially mature-age prospects, there are a couple from werribee who we have been in contact with on a consistent basis.

He's now behind Goldstein, Currie, Daw and Petrie as a ruckman. Can't recall getting mentioned in the bests often at NB. Now been on our list for three years and contract running out at the end of this season, I'm not sure he'll get a chance to debut unless we have a massive run of big man injuries. Has anyone seen any potential ?

He's now behind Goldstein, Currie, Daw and Petrie as a ruckman. Can't recall getting mentioned in the bests often at NB. Now been on our list for three years and contract running out at the end of this season, I'm not sure he'll get a chance to debut unless we have a massive run of big man injuries. Has anyone seen any potential ?
He was never going to debut this early unless something went horribly wrong for us, or he improved far far beyond expectations. He was always a long term prospect. He has actually been going pretty well this year, when he has played. Most rucks take 3 or 4 yrs to be able to compete against the guys at afl level. As u mentioned currie in the op, he for example had 4 yrs on the swans list without a game. Then took another yr of strong performances in the sanfl before really looking like he could impact at afl level consistently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back