Past #40: Thomas Murphy - delisted after 8 NM games/1 NM goal - thanks Murph

Remove this Banner Ad

You are basically describing Dumont as well, who has forged a career.

He looks a little bit leaner than previous seasons, so Shaw might have given him some direction as to develop his run and carry a bit more in lieu of the back pocket type he was being developed under Scott.

Murphy can't play in and under, Dumont can...and I reckon Dumont would also blow Murphy off the track in the endurance stakes.

However, like all North players that I am "iffy" about, I hope he proves me wrong.

Murphy can't play in and under, Dumont can...and I reckon Dumont would also blow Murphy off the track in the endurance stakes.

However, like all North players that I am "iffy" about, I hope he proves me wrong.

I agree with everything you've said.

Frog wasn't always like that. He worked really hard on his running.

Murphy has been developed as a back pocket and appears to have been told to build a body to compete one on one.

I don't think he'll necessarily make it, but I agree with others, there's been some "intangibles" when watching him this year, that I didn't get last year.

Definately worth a 1 yr extension given the size of the list turnover likely at the end of this year.

I seriously don't reckon there's a bloke in our side that kicks that goal he kicked.......maybe Higgo a couple years ago. 99% of players spray that kick, he did it effortlessly. Keep and develop him
at risk of stirring up the "jmac" discussion, he has kicked a few goals very similar to the one murphy kicked on the odd occasion he has drifted fwd.

Yep. Cannon.

I never saw him show much overhead ability at VFL level otherwise I’d look at trying him at half forward.
WAs often playing in a key defensive roll against bigger blokes. I hope that getting him out of the backline as Shaw is doing will both get him using his kicking and keep him on the list

Just to be clear that when I said "delisted" that's what I think will happen. I hope he develops of course.

I honestly haven't made my mind up. I'm guessing Shaw hasn't either.

Murphy's running to create the option deserves the credit there.
Yep, great decision to run off his opponent and provide an option.
Someone mentioned he ran off Cameron too, which would take a bit of courage and commitment. Not an easy decision to leave someone like him alone on the forward line.

If list sizes are cut then he'd want to have a big few weeks. Can't hold onto every player that has shown a bit but hasn't kicked on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw multiple occasions where he pulled a polec instead of going in for it. If he's gonna be like that then he's not needed. Maybe drop williams and put him down back then bring polec back in

Need to persist with him. Clearly overwhelmed tonight and had an off night. Will learn from it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back