Past #42: Declan Mountford - delisted by NMFC on 04 October 2018 - thanks and good luck Dec

Remove this Banner Ad

I went to the game and he played very well. Inside midfield and copped a corkie in the second half so he was moved to the forward line.

Claremont thrashed East Fremantle much to the credit of the Tiger’s midfield who dominated (despite being up against a class ruck in ex Dorker Griffin). So not in best doesn’t mean he wasn’t good.

I saw enough to think he might do a Meningola and reappear on an AFL list after a stint in WAFL.

I went to the game and he played very well. Inside midfield and copped a corkie in the second half so he was moved to the forward line.

Claremont thrashed East Fremantle much to the credit of the Tiger’s midfield who dominated (despite being up against a class ruck in ex Dorker Griffin). So not in best doesn’t mean he wasn’t good.

I saw enough to think he might do a Meningola and reappear on an AFL list after a stint in WAFL.
Excellent, thank you for the report. I certainly thought he had the potential toolkit to be a serviceable AFL player and still hope he finds a way there.

Former North Albany midfielder Declan Mountford has starred for Claremont as they continue their unbeaten start to the WAFL season, easily defeating East Perth at Leederville Oval on Saturday.
Mountford has returned to Claremont after a stint with North Melbourne and had his best game of the season, collecting 30 disposals in the 40-point win as the Tigers won a third straight game in the league competition.
Part of a dynamic midfield group, Mountford’s impact was significant with his 30 touches, seven marks, three inside 50s and one goal making him one of the better players on the ground.

Should still be on our list
I thought at the time it was rather short sighted but I did not see any VFL games as I’m based in Perth.

My assessment is that he has made as much impact for Claremont as Tim Kelly did for South Fremantle the year he was drafted.

It does also help to be behind Jye Bolton and Kane Mitchell in the midfield

I thought at the time it was rather short sighted but I did not see any VFL games as I’m based in Perth.

My assessment is that he has made as much impact for Claremont as Tim Kelly did for South Fremantle the year he was drafted.

Not enough potential for a young player according to our supercoach. Far smarter to delist and draft in the new older gun recruits.

Who knows what they were thinking? His development was tracking very well in my opinion. He had run, balance and was defensively minded, with the added benefit of him being the ultimate professional.

2016: Runner up BnF at VFL level in his first year.

2017: played 12 games pretty much all of them in unfamiliar roles. Played as a lockdown defender, wingman and half forward tagger. Still contributed really well.

2018: picks up a few injuries, whenever he played VFL he was solid. Then delisted at the end of the year.

Still has a mountain of upside considering his age.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another lazy 28 disposals and 8 tackles for Mountford today.
I went to the game today and he was second only to Jye Bolton who had it 36 times.

Another game and another question mark on why he was delisted. As a Claremont fan, thanks for bringing him safely home.

The reasons for his continual non-selection and then delisting have never been apparent. It's part of the overall story of our football department that doesn't make for great reading.

Earlier in his career when he was at Werribee (had mates involved with the club down there) the reason why he wasn't getting games was due to he was 'inconsistent at following instruction'. The person involved at Werribee suggested to me it was an absolute cop out, as whenever he was given a role at Werribee he always completed it.

The whisper: Despite not having a pick available, Fremantle is still doing its due diligence and has put some work into former North Melbourne player Mountford. Diminutive Peel Thunder prospect Jarvis Pina is another drawing heavy interest from the Dockers. - RB

Remove this Banner Ad

Back