Retired #43: Anthony "Walla" McDonald-Tipungwuti - Will play his last game this weekend - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like he is having trouble with the demands of preparing himself to AFL standard. They have had him on a slow build up but it looks like the motivation to be doing everything preparation wise 100% to the letter has waned over the last 6 to 8 months.

Looks like he is having trouble with the demands of preparing himself to AFL standard. They have had him on a slow build up but it looks like the motivation to be doing everything preparation wise 100% to the letter has waned over the last 6 to 8 months.
There’s so much more going on in the background that’s affecting his ability to play afl

There’s so much more going on in the background that’s affecting his ability to play afl
There is but the fact is he has always been someone that has needed to be pushed along a bit to achieve his goals . He has never been totally driven. Now that there are some other issues going on he has currently unable to fulfill all the areas of preparation he needs to. It has become a grind and he can not get the best out of himself. I know there has been some close personal issues going on that have left him rather flat. At the end of the day who knows if he can find the fire within again but I am not wrong by saying he has currently lost the motivation to be 100% committed to the cause. It can happen in all walks of life when things are happening around you. It is a massive commitment to be in an AFL program and keep getting 100% out of yourself.

There is but the fact is he has always been someone that has needed to be pushed along a bit to achieve his goals . He has never been totally driven. Now that there are some other issues going on he has currently unable to fulfill all the areas of preparation he needs to. It has become a grind and he can not get the best out of himself. I know there has been some close personal issues going on that have left him rather flat. At the end of the day who knows if he can find the fire within again but I am not wrong by saying he has currently lost the motivation to be 100% committed to the cause. It can happen in all walks of life when things are happening around you. It is a massive commitment to be in an AFL program and keep getting 100% out of yourself.
Yeah 100%, you could see it on the field last year in the 2nd half of the season. That his head or heart just wasn’t it in it, at the period of time. It doesn’t look like he’s rediscovered it yet, maybe he never will.

Saw this coming a mile off, was concerned last year and more concerned this season when he rocked up out of shape.

Gives me no pleasure to say that however….hope he gets himself right and gets back to his best. He is just too good to be lost to footy.

This is such a shame. Such a great story, wish him all the best and hope the time away helps him.

Small hope he comes back mid year but it’s a long shot now.

The game will miss him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely some depressing news to wake up too today.

My favourite player who has given us so many highlights since he came onto the list, hopefully whatever’s affecting him, he’s able to get himself right and be happy again. Football comes second.

Really hope he can get himself back up to footy, but if not, totally understandable.

Happiness and health come first, and footy is a very very distant runner up.

When he was dreopping off last year, I had doubts that he might even return in 2022 for us. There was winds of pressers relating to Walla pulling the pin before Christmas that were quickly dismissed. Unfortunatly, when he came back in the shape he did, it was always going to be a big up hill push for him to get back to footy peak.

A year older, more injury. It catches up.

I could well be wrong and he battles through. I hope that he does what's best for him, mentally and in life. On the field, he will be sorely missed.

Really hope he is able to work through his issues. Even if he has to take the full year off and can come back next year refreshed, its just a joy having him in the team

A rare shining light during a truly shithouse time for the club. He really gave us all a reason to go to games. Special footballer.

When his career is all said and done - hopefully in a few years time yet - I do hope he realises the joy he’s brought Essendon supporters over his time with the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back