Retired #43: Anthony "Walla" McDonald-Tipungwuti - Will play his last game this weekend - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

It would appear that he's not confident he will catch an opposition player that's too far away from him and/or that he's not confident he can get away from an opposition player that is too close. So he handballs away rather than taking them on.

He didn't have that problem last week, it seems to be more of a this week problem. Which leads me to suspect it isn't his aerobic fitness that's concerning him.

I was watching him from high up at Optus, and the poor guy was running all day but just not quite hitting the contests. Could be fitness, loss of pace, loss of agility, just unlucky… or maybe all of the above.

In hindsight, should have been rested for Optus and brought back at Marvel… but suspect the Sir Doug Nicholls round might have been a factor in the decision.

I love the man but he’s not up to standard at the moment and I doubt that he will be again. I hope the club can make the tough call come seasons end.

I think you put him on a 5-6 week mini preseason right now and you either make him or break him
I think he is actually feeling the effects of the amount of work he has had to put in to get to this point. He is tired and I suspect he is also a bit sore. Not sure a min pre season is in order. Maybe more of a training block with no actual games. I doubt very much he needs a pre season dose of training.

I think he is actually feeling the effects of the amount of work he has had to put in to get to this point. He is tired and I suspect he is also a bit sore. Not sure a min pre season is in order. Maybe more of a training block with no actual games. I doubt very much he needs a pre season dose of training.
Only inside the club would really know but you watch and all i see is overweight, slow and zero endurance

He cant be picked until that changes

Id also hate to think we took a sore Tippa on a plane to playbon the hardest deck in the country vs the worst AFL side weve seen for along long time

Last edited:
Agree. As far as i could see he was busting his gut playing the team pressure and spread game and was doing it well. I think he just needs to be managed for soreness whatever that looks like. Playing one in three games or the like? I'm sure he wouldn't be expected to be able to get up for every game off the back of one pre-season

I think this is right he is sore and a bit off. He has looked better in previous weeks than he did against WCE.

When you aren’t fit before preseason and spend the whole time trying to nearly get there, you are not set up well to play.

You get sore, you don’t recover as a well, and you chase ass all year.

I would have thought standard training plus game like weekend conditioning sessions for 4 weeks would help

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back