Player Watch #44: Cameron Zurhaar - [AFL.com] NM offers 5yr deal - CZ interest from SYD/GC - CZ mgr says 'wants to see improvement' & 'team success'

Remove this Banner Ad

Now they're loving the compensation system if it lands them the player lol?
Paul Hasleby always seems to be FIGJAM media anyway, thought elements were were a think

Twomey thinks he's gone. What compensation will we get?
yeah watching his interview with McConville, never heard so many um, ahs, erms in my life and "Cam has a decision to make"......every other player they discussed, was "oh yeah he loves it there that'll get done".......sure doesn't appear likely at this stage.

His first behind on the weekend sums up CZ. He kicks that, its ten points. He never kicks em, NEVER. He always misses important clutch goals.. whenever we need him to deliver he simply doesn’t.
I called it the week before vs the Hawks . First quarter (min 6-7) after we started real well . Would have put us 2-3 goals in front . “Said , this is the one Cam misses “ “momentum killer” , the rest is history, he misses from 35meters & hawks get a goal at the other end from the kickout .

I called it the week before vs the Hawks . First quarter (min 6-7) after we started real well . Would have put us 2-3 goals in front . “Said , this is the one Cam misses “ “momentum killer” , the rest is history, he misses from 35meters & hawks get a goal at the other end from the kickout .
How often it happens. It shouldn’t but it drops heads, hard work up the ground should be rewarded with a centre bounce and a reset. Not sling shot down the other end for a goal.

Its not just a miss, its an 11 point differential. Infuriating

This has all the makings of Magoo McKay in the lead up to his trade in the year, he can underperform and underwhelm and he’ll still be thrown a boatload of cash to move because:

A) The clubs can afford it and North can’t, a bidding war is an easy war for them to win.
B) His value is ‘perceived long term value’ not current value.

The league knows what he’s capable of and can see in a system where a team is actually functional what he can bring.

I’m 80% positive at this stage he’ll walk unless the club can prove why we’re not in a bottomless pit and that’s going to be a tough argument to make right now.

Might’ve been said already but I think Cam needs to be thrown in the midfield earlier, maybe even starting mid. I understand his tank isn’t built to be a mid but he gets his hands on it early and the younger guys - Wardlaw McKercher Sheez can come into it after him to provide the run we need.

Clarke is bringing Cam into the midfield rotation every week once the game has already been lost, I think it should be the other way around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This has all the makings of Magoo McKay in the lead up to his trade in the year, he can underperform and underwhelm and he’ll still be thrown a boatload of cash to move because:

A) The clubs can afford it and North can’t, a bidding war is an easy war for them to win.
B) His value is ‘perceived long term value’ not current value.

The league knows what he’s capable of and can see in a system where a team is actually functional what he can bring.

I’m 80% positive at this stage he’ll walk unless the club can prove why we’re not in a bottomless pit and that’s going to be a tough argument to make right now.
He's a restricted free agent, not only can we match the offer if we choose to but we also have the cash to do so.

I would like him to stay and play better.

Easier said than done but I don't see the point in letting another 25 year old go for an 18 year old, meanwhile bringing in a 25 year old mercenary who spuds it up even more.
It's more his choice than letting him go I'm guessing.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

His first behind on the weekend sums up CZ. He kicks that, its ten points. He never kicks em, NEVER. He always misses important clutch goals.. whenever we need him to deliver he simply doesn’t.
Always. Just like that goal that won us one of the only games we have got to see in Melbourne in living memory against Richmond. Always misses those clutch goals. :stern look

One out of 50. Not bad odds. Where was he against * last year when he missed 8?
If * is reference to Essendon he kicked 4 goals 1 point in the June 4th encounter against the Bombers "last year". He didn't play in Cunnington's farewell game against Essendon later that year. :stern look

Might’ve been said already but I think Cam needs to be thrown in the midfield earlier, maybe even starting mid. I understand his tank isn’t built to be a mid but he gets his hands on it early and the younger guys - Wardlaw McKercher Sheez can come into it after him to provide the run we need.

Clarke is bringing Cam into the midfield rotation every week once the game has already been lost, I think it should be the other way around.
I see that Pedo Stringer doing that role at * every week. Starts at center bounce , gets most clearances & wonders onto the Half forward line to snag 2-3 goals a game .. and I think "why can't Cam be doing that role too"

Even if we match he can still leave, he's uncontracted - all we can do is force a trade.

What would his value be on the open market? Pick 20ish?
Whoever he goes to won't want to trade, they don't want to give up any draft capital for him. It's in their best interest to offer him a contract that is so good that we don't want to because it will give us a Band 1 pick.

Last edited:
Even if we match he can still leave, he's uncontracted - all we can do is force a trade.

What would his value be on the open market? Pick 20ish?
I wonder how we'd go with pick #20 ...... 🙃

Remove this Banner Ad

Back