Retired #47: James Kelly - Retirement announced - 16/8 - Essendon Performance Coach - 19/9

Remove this Banner Ad

The club certainly wants him to but it's up to him to decide if he wants to go on.
How do you know the club definitely wants him to? There are many permutations for list management to assess and they may still be working out a best balance for our list having already committed to taking back so many experienced players. My guess is that the reason he hasn't announced his retirement is because the club have proposed the idea to him of playing on. Doesn't mean there's any 'certainty' of the club wanting him. FWIW I hope he stays.

The bloke was at the VFL today (Ess v Geel) in full EFC gear was interviewed at half time. Was asked straight out what is he doing. He said his body felt good, liked how he was allowed some concessions at training and would seriously consider going around again. My take - all he needs is the nod.

Get him #backin.

His footy experience will be great value for all concerned.

if the club would let him skip the preseason he'd sign on the dotted line today.

worked out pretty well this year.

I think he has proven this year that he doesn't need to do a full preseason. He spoke about it on SEN awhile back as well, at his age a shorter preseason is probably benaficial. Has a very good base with all his years training and I'm sure he's professional enough to keep himself is pretty good shape before full training.

Hopefully he goes around for one more year.

if the club would let him skip the preseason he'd sign on the dotted line today.

worked out pretty well this year.
If memory serves me correct I believe Geelong do something like that with their older players.
Makes sense too. Kelly's professional enough that he would maintain a decent level of fitness in his time off.

Listening to the Interview, he seems ready and willing so its really up to the club, as long as he keeps his fitness levels up, I don't think we need him to do the full preseason, maybe require him to run X amount a week & attend a few team meetings but not join full training until Jan would work fine, he is a professional when it comes to being ready.

He plays on. Every interview he has I feel as though hes trying to convince essendon to sign him on, which i am confident he will. If we didnt lose Hibberd, he may not be playing on but losing him helps kelly alot.

One more year, get him to 300 which he deserves, mentor younger half backs to play similar to him. Play a stevie j role, an on field coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the problem is that he either ends up cooked physically. or keeping out dea, gleeson, francis, etc.

I would be more concerned about him running out of stream than taking a spot, considering how well he managed this season when there was an injury cloud over him, goes some way to telling me that he should be able to play the year out.

I don't know if you can read much into this, but Woosha was on Game Day this morning.
He was asked hypothetically if he would have kept Boomer on the list, and he said no.
So he might be a bit ruthless when it comes to older players.

I don't know if you can read much into this, but Woosha was on Game Day this morning.
He was asked hypothetically if he would have kept Boomer on the list, and he said no.

He's just trolling Norf supporters.

I've got a feeling its also a lot easier to say about a player that you've never coached. Its kind of the difference between what you consider intellectually to be best for the club long term and the emotional attachments that coaches build with players. I'm sure for instance some coaches probably thought we should have ended Fletcher's career earlier than we did.

Boomer I think also had the weakness of being pretty one way at this stage of his career. Still effective offensively but lacking defensively. Also North had the issue of an aging list in general which changes the equation as opposed to just having one older player.

FWIW I thought they could have kept Boomer and gotten rid of the other 30+ year olds whose performances were actually significantly decreasing. Probably should have got 1 year consider how well he actually played.

the problem is that he either ends up cooked physically. or keeping out dea, gleeson, francis, etc.
The thing is he was in our top 3 players this year and stood out clearly during most games. Even with the 8 or so players coming back he is still in the best 22. Just got to manage him well. Just like he did this year, no pre-season until January and no pre-season games, along with 2 or 3 weeks off during the year and I think he would add great value.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back