Delisted #49: Tom Hird - Delisted, thank you for your service - 23/8

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw the goal. Was pretty sweet.

For those who watched the whole game/have seen him play a bit more - can I read into this goal as us having a player on our hands?

I saw the goal. Was pretty sweet.

For those who watched the whole game/have seen him play a bit more - can I read into this goal as us having a player on our hands?

Others probably better placed than me to answer, but from what I saw today his tenacity and solid skills would suit our current game plan.

Others probably better placed than me to answer, but from what I saw today his tenacity and solid skills would suit our current game plan.

Tenacity probably sums his game up. Has a crack and continues to try.

Cannot question his endeavour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tenacity probably sums his game up. Has a crack and continues to try.

Cannot question his endeavour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was smashed by Vandenburg in the third quarter (maybe early in the fourth) and got back up and just kept going. Tough like his old man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VFL write up - apparently he's good 👀
Tom Hird
Stats: 20 disposals, five marks, five tackles

“I really liked Hirdy’s game. He played as a permanent forward and he played as a high forward, and he got quite a bit of the ball for the position he played. I thought he made good decisions. He kicked a goal and was unlucky not to kick another one. I thought he played his role really well. His work rate was really fantastic and for a small forward to have five tackles, he really joined in our defence, so it was one of his better games."

Sounds like he is not a natural gifted player like his old man?

If you read Hirdy's book you'll understand there was nothing natural about his gifts. The Dons property steward was filthy with him as he'd go through a footy a fortnight throwing it into a wall to work on his hands.

If you read Hirdy's book you'll understand there was nothing natural about his gifts. The Dons property steward was filthy with him as he'd go through a footy a fortnight throwing it into a wall to work on his hands.
Hirdy's natural gift was his mind and poise that kept him calm and gave him time. Everything else was using that persistence/stubbornness to become great.

Not convinced that was so natural either, probably the result of circumstances and experiences growing up.
Maybe, his intelligence is genetic, but poise and calmness under pressure, yes maybe.

Stubbornness/persistence, not sure where that sits. But let's not get into a long discussion about nature/nuture. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back