Player Watch #5: Christian Petracca – Norm Smith Medallist, 4 x All-Australian and 2 x Best and Fairest

Remove this Banner Ad

Score involvements are a much more important stat then goal assists. You can hit a bloke lace out but if he misses a sitter, it's not a goal assist. Petracca is the number 2 player for score involvements in the comp averaging 9.3 a game only behind Tex Walker who is averaging 9.9. Tracc was 1st last year as well.
Isn't score involvements the whole chain. So everyone in Kozzys nice goal got an involvement for nothing really.

Couple of weeks old but Trac laying out Wingard is so god damn awesome.

giphy.gif

It's amazing watching Trac run around bullying people now with his fitness base. Gets from contest to contest just ragdolling people or ripping the ball from them.

He never needs to lose his feet to take them to ground. Just throwing them around like Wingard then on to the next guy.

Don't think Trac's kicking is as good as Dusty's (field kicking or goal kicking), and I don't think he's as good 1v1 either. Not really sure how to compare them explosively, but feel like while Trac might be better as an aerial athlete he doesn't have Dusty's running power. Don't think he's ever going to be a matchwinner in the same way.

What he can do maybe is be a better two way runner, apply more pressure, win more contested footy to help out defensively and turn defence into attack etc, but when it comes to 'Dusty things' he's never going to match that.
Bit of a contradiction, but I assume you mean that Dusty isn’t expected to run two ways or put on much, if any pressure. Based on that I’d agree Tracs pressure and repeat efforts are a stand out in comparison. I also think his repeat efforts when the ball is in dispute are also better. Not a slight on Dusty but I feel he times his repeat effort better and stands off the ball if he doesn’t thinks he’ll win it.

Nah not the same.
A port player told Trac that Trenners didn't like him so immediately after the game he called him to ask why.
A bloke who cares that much about what people think ain't captaining. How's he gonna make a hard call on disciplining players?
Just cause you're a great player doesn't mean you have to be captain.
Someone like Lever looks far more likely
Jordan Lewis said on 360 last night that a big thing that helped him a couple of years ago was getting off social media as he took it too personally. Said it had a positive effect on his confidence.

I’ve always wondered about this as well and find it curious. I finally decided that people must view it as a sign of footy IQ- consistently getting yourself in good positions to win the ball.

If anyone wants to expound on why high disposals is viewed as such a benchmark, I’d love to hear it. I’m sure there’s more to it than I realize.

Ment more 20 years ago because guys didn't handball as often and there was more space so if a bloke for 30 it was 30 good touches.

Means you read the play well, position yourself well and have the fitness to get to the he ball.

Jordan Lewis said on 360 last night that a big thing that helped him a couple of years ago was getting off social media as he took it too personally. Said it had a positive effect on his confidence.

Bit of a contradiction, but I assume you mean that Dusty isn’t expected to run two ways or put on much, if any pressure. Based on that I’d agree Tracs pressure and repeat efforts are a stand out in comparison. I also think his repeat efforts when the ball is in dispute are also better. Not a slight on Dusty but I feel he times his repeat effort better and stands off the ball if he doesn’t thinks he’ll win it.
Not a contradiction, that’s exactly what I meant.

Couple of weeks old but Trac laying out Wingard is so god damn awesome.

I've watched this on repeat about 20 times now and Wingards dramatic little flop at the end never gets old.

(Granted it might look different at full speed, but this is much more entertaining)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah not the same.
A port player told Trac that Trenners didn't like him so immediately after the game he called him to ask why.
A bloke who cares that much about what people think ain't captaining. How's he gonna make a hard call on disciplining players?
While i agree with you, I never saw Max as captain material either. It's a different world we are living in. Cotchin is a very arm around a player type of captain and he's won 3 flags. I see May as an awesome leader, but his style is too polarising for the modern day princesses. So Lever is clearly the next in line as he seems to have a softer approach .

Nah not the same.

Tracc will captain the football club after Max. He’s grown immensely as a person and on field leader over the past two years. Mental, emotional and spiritual growth is a thing. You might want to look into it.

I will never understand why so many sports fans have an obsession with making the best player the captain. It's like the constant push to bring Steve Smith back as test captain despite him ******* up as captain about as badly as he could have.

When someone like Trac is at the top of their game and dominating, why burden him with extra responsibilities? Do we need him doing weekly pressers and the TV circuit as club captains are expected to? Hopefully he's going to continue being our best player for the next 7 years but he's never ever struck me as captain material or a natural at the extra responsibilities that go with it.

Richmond have coped ok without Dusty being captain. Hodge wasn't Hawthorn's best player. I'm sure we will have other guys who are best 22 locks by the time Max gives it away that are more natural leaders and spokespeople than Trac is.

I think Trac is captain material personally.

He leads on field, one of the commentators said last year the way Petracca plays he’s willing the team to come with me.

He’s popular among the playing group.

His commitment to the club signing well before his current contract is up.

He talks up the young players like Kozzy, Luke Jackson, Rivers, Jordon, Sparrow, Chandler, Bedford ect about being the next core group of players. Petracca is the sort of guy that can keep this group together.

He’s getting himself involved in the media, becoming face of the club to the supporters.

He understands what winning means to the supporters, after the Geelong win while the players were walking around the ground, the players were celebrating amongst themselves, Oliver and Fritsch were jumping over each other, Brayshaw was getting getting positive Lingers on the big screen, Max Gawn and Petracca were walking 5 minutes ahead of the group looking back into the grandstands clapping and cheering with the supporters.

The story of him flying Peter Lucas and his dad up from Tasmania for his debut game and the way he has kept in touch over the years shows nothing but great character.

I think he’s a role model for anyone who walks into the club or anyone out in society, on field leader the way he plays with energy. Along with Jake Lever I think they are the perfect Captain/Vice Captain or co-captain combo for the future.

Ment more 20 years ago because guys didn't handball as often and there was more space so if a bloke for 30 it was 30 good touches.

Means you read the play well, position yourself well and have the fitness to get to the he ball.
I was gonna say the same. Footy was a much lower possession game prior to the 2000's so someone having a 30 touch game was a huge deal. It meant they were everywhere, winning their own footy or first receiver pumping it long to marking targets.

Then things changed. Teams started to play keepings-off, value time in possession over territorial advantage, and fantasy sports like Dream Team and Supercoach placed a higher emphasis on disposals, regardless of the impact they had. Lots of people got sucked in by that and started to judge players on their numbers and not their influence or impact. It's why the Brownlow has been a midfielders medal now (outside a Goodes-cameo) for the best part of 30 years.

I think Trac is captain material personally.

He leads on field, one of the commentators said last year the way Petracca plays he’s willing the team to come with me.

He’s popular among the playing group.

His commitment to the club signing well before his current contract is up.

He talks up the young players like Kozzy, Luke Jackson, Rivers, Jordon, Sparrow, Chandler, Bedford ect about being the next core group of players. Petracca is the sort of guy that can keep this group together.

He’s getting himself involved in the media, becoming face of the club to the supporters.

He understands what winning means to the supporters, after the Geelong win while the players were walking around the ground, the players were celebrating amongst themselves, Oliver and Fritsch were jumping over each other, Brayshaw was getting getting positive Lingers on the big screen, Max Gawn and Petracca were walking 5 minutes ahead of the group looking back into the grandstands clapping and cheering with the supporters.

The story of him flying Peter Lucas and his dad up from Tasmania for his debut game and the way he has kept in touch over the years shows nothing but great character.

I think he’s a role model for anyone who walks into the club or anyone out in society, on field leader the way he plays with energy. Along with Jake Lever I think they are the perfect Captain/Vice Captain or co-captain combo for the future.

All of this resonates with me, and as I’ve said elsewhere, he’s turned me into a fan. Effort counts where I’m from, and you’d be hard pressed to find anyone who questions how hard he’s playing. Watching him charge away from a contest with a head of steam 4-5 times a game are worth a 2am wake up call every time for me.

Whether he ends up as the actual captain seems irrelevant- he’s clearly a team leader.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back