Player Watch #5: Christian Petracca – Norm Smith Medallist, 4 x All-Australian and 2 x Best and Fairest

Remove this Banner Ad

He's very lucky he didn't go pick 1, because he's arguably deserving of the criticism Watts got. Same deal, just doesn't put in, even if he's less soft. Has shown the massive difference in external attention directed at number 1 and number 2 picks It's a simple equation for Christian - needs to drop a few kg and come back with a huge tank in 2019 and then again in 2020, or his next contract offer from us is going to be much smaller than a player of his talent would want in their 7th year on an AFL list

Yeah he's always introduced on radio and tv as 'superstar' Christian Petracca where as in reality he's barely an average player at the moment.

Agree with a couple of the boys in here he needs to get fit. He looks over weight and slow and not fit enough for AFL footy.

There's a huge myth about Martin being unfit for 5 seasons, Dusty averaged 22 disposals, 3.3 tackles and 1.5 goals a game in his second season.

In his second season he had
33 disposals 4 goals
35 and 1
28 and 2
26 and 2
24 and 2
22 and 5
21 and 3

Petracca is one of the most over rated players in the AFL right now.

Yeah he's always introduced on radio and tv as 'superstar' Christian Petracca where as in reality he's barely an average player at the moment.

Agree with a couple of the boys in here he needs to get fit. He looks over weight and slow and not fit enough for AFL footy.

There's a huge myth about Martin being unfit for 5 seasons, Dusty averaged 22 disposals, 3.3 tackles and 1.5 goals a game in his second season.

33 disposals 4 goals
35 and 1
28 and 2
26 and 2
24 and 2
22 and 5
21 and 3

Does make you wonder if his ACL recovery wasn’t as good as the club sold us to believe

33 disposals 4 goals
35 and 1
28 and 2
26 and 2
24 and 2
22 and 5
21 and 3

I really like Trac but to be called a superstar thats definately overrated. Has he ever ripped many games apart? I cant think of many if any, he's a good handy player i like, but not a superstar yet.

Does make you wonder if his ACL recovery wasn’t as good as the club sold us to believe

I don't know. He just looks too tired all the time to use any of his attributes. Barely broke any tackles, didn't kick a goal and didn't take a contested mark. He was completely value less.

I don't know. He just looks too tired all the time to use any of his attributes. Barely broke any tackles, didn't kick a goal and didn't take a contested mark. He was completely value less.
He is good when he is in the contest, he just needs to be in about three times as many contests than what he currently is. Definitely overhyped. He is well and truly in the gun to be dropped.

that’s an oddly worded post... please, fill us in on your conspiracy theory.

Back on topic, boy definitely needs a spell. Hard to say what it is. But I thought he was okay this season prior to his finger issue.

that’s an oddly worded post... please, fill us in on your conspiracy theory.

Back on topic, boy definitely needs a spell. Hard to say what it is. But I thought he was okay this season prior to his finger issue.
No conspiracy, but even at the time (2015/16) there was a suspicious amount of media from the club about his ‘epic’ rehab

Agree, i was shocked when i saw his profile on the screen and it had 96kgs wtf does he need that for??

I know wines is a bit taller ut he is currently at 99kg as a mid and it doesnt seem to be bothering him, think he just needs to work on his tank so he can play a defensive role as well.

He was a bull earlier in the year, i'm thinking against Geelong early in the game when he was in the midfield and against North, but he drifts in and out of games too much - I think after his injury he's been particularly average and just hasn't been able to keep super fit.

It's all above the ears with him, as you can see his confidence disappear as soon as he started consistently missing his set shots. He's used to everything coming his way and this is probably the first rough patch in his career he's had to work through, I think the bye has come at a good time for him and I'm going to back him in to turn it around

Needs a rocket up his ass, less worrying about getting into Hall of Fames and shooting hoops on The Footy Show and more focus on getting fit and working on his game.

Watching DeGoey absolutely destroy us I the midfield yesterday is exactly the performance I expect from Trac each week.

No conspiracy, but even at the time (2015/16) there was a suspicious amount of media from the club about his ‘epic’ rehab

The fact that he's got all his explosive power back and hasn't redone his ACL suggests it went pretty well mate - especially at his weight.

Besides, lingering damage from an ACL injury shouldn't stop him from improving his aerobic fitness.

Reality is, I don't think he's been that bad - he hasn't been game-breaking and is a little down on impact but I'd like to see him stay in the team.

We had high expectations of him this year, I think he needs to get more midfield time to improve his match fitness in all honesty - he looked fitter at the start of the year when he was spending time in the middle.

His had surgery has him fumbling a little as well, hopefully he can rest up over the break and come back for a big 2nd half to the year.

Harmes, Vince and Pedo should all be well in the gun before Trac.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needs a rocket up his ass, less worrying about getting into Hall of Fames and shooting hoops on The Footy Show and more focus on getting fit and working on his game.

Watching DeGoey absolutely destroy us I the midfield yesterday is exactly the performance I expect from Trac each week.
Perhaps you need to rein in your expectations somewhat. I don't really see what appearing on The Footy Show has to do with anything, though its funny that old mate basketball background apparently missed every shot #yips. We can all agree that Petracca looks unfit and low on confidence, but De Goey was special yesterday. He played like a prime Chris Judd.

Perhaps you need to rein in your expectations somewhat. I don't really see what appearing on The Footy Show has to do with anything, though its funny that old mate basketball background apparently missed every shot #yips. We can all agree that Petracca looks unfit and low on confidence, but De Goey was special yesterday. He played like a prime Chris Judd.
Petracca is a better footballer then DeGoey, saw that first when both were playing under 18s footy. I'm a bit perplexed with how good DeGoey is developing so well considering the off field issues hes had also.. but I truly believe Petracca is just not at the level that he potentially should be.

Petracca is a better footballer then DeGoey, saw that first when both were playing under 18s footy. I'm a bit perplexed with how good DeGoey is developing so well considering the off field issues hes had also.. but I truly believe Petracca is just not at the level that he potentially should be.
Is he though? In under 18's Trac was already a solid unit so he may have ripped more games apart, DeGoey has managed to adapt to AFL football better than Trac.
Will Trac be the better player at the end of their careers? I hope so, but i'm not so sure.

You can't expect every player to go on a consistent upward trajectory in their career, or be an Oliver. Petracca was getting better with each game until the finger injury, and how now plateau a bit.

Should he be dropped? Maybe.
Does that mean he's overrated and not going to live up to the hype? Absolutely not.

When Petracca picks up form, then a Fritsch or Brayshaw might dip. Swings and roundabouts.

I by no means am writing him off, and I hope no one is after Gus showed how quickly things can turn around with a bit of confidence. Just think that like Gus he needs to go and work on some things in the VFL and get that confidence, earn his spot in the seniors.

I have a feeling he might just be a guy who doesn't have a great running action or the genetics to be a super talented runner. But he sure as hell needs to compensate for that by hitting the running track hard.

Couldn't agree more on the Clarry's training regime move

Maybe Petracca needs to get caught drink driving line DeGoey and Oliver?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back