Player Watch #5: Curtis Taylor - re-signed until the end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Well I guess I'll just rely on the vision of Taylor in a leg brace

Okay, make your argument then.

Can braces just be utilised to reduce swelling that is not related to structural integrity?

Okay, make your argument then.

Can braces just be utilised to reduce swelling that is not related to structural integrity?

Depends on the medicos. Some are really against the idea of braces for ligament injuries. Some use it just to restrict movement. Others use it to help the structural integrity. Since he was up and walking around but it's not a full PCL tear I'm presuming they just want to restrict his movement to give it all a chance to settle down.

It looked bad at the time, but I'm not sure putting him out there would have caused a whole lot more damage.

Depends on the medicos. Some are really against the idea of braces for ligament injuries. Some use it just to restrict movement. Others use it to help the structural integrity.

It looked bad at the time, but I'm not sure putting him out there would have caused a whole lot more damage.

So.............it's a bit absurd to make definitive criticisms from the safe comfort of our chairs? Yes?

So.............it's a bit absurd to make definitive criticisms from the safe comfort of our chairs? Yes?

Absolutely. These blokes aren't duds - even if they're not perfect. They would have picked up on the idea that hyperextension was a PCL once they realised there was no break (they have physical exams for the ACL which will generally show a complete rupture, and the same for PCL) and performed physical stress tests to see if he was right to run out the game. They would have known if there was instability and wouldn't have sent him back out there.

Absolutely. These blokes aren't duds - even if they're not perfect. They would have picked up on the idea that hyperextension was a PCL once they realised there was no break (they have physical exams for the ACL which will generally show a complete rupture, and the same for PCL) and performed physical stress tests to see if he was right to run out the game. They would have known if there was instability.

Eeeeeeeexactly.

The people who just want to piss & moan for the sake of pissing & moaning based upon complete ignorance, ultimately lead to the irrelevance of any discussion.

Our opinions are not important unless they contain an element of rigorous informed analysis. How the * anyone can make medical negligence claims based upon little more than some observations on a television monitor........escapes me. Significant proof of actual medical and actual event understanding is required, which is almost always never forthcoming, and these opinions are ultimately shown up as nothing more than the shoehorning random events in order to satisfy an emotionally based prejudice based upon personal dissatisfaction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eeeeeeeexactly.

The people who just want to piss & moan for the sake of pissing & moaning based upon complete ignorance, ultimately lead to the irrelevance of any discussion.

Our opinions are not important unless they contain an element of rigorous informed analysis. How the fu** anyone can make medical negligence claims based upon little more than some observations on a television monitor........escapes me. Significant proof of actual medical and actual event understanding is required, which is almost always never forthcoming, and these opinions are ultimately shown up as nothing more than the shoehorning random events in order to satisfy an emotionally based prejudice based upon personal dissatisfaction.

I also think there may have been a method to sending him back out there, but I'm far too unqualified to put that out there on a public forum. Fact is the bloke was assessed with no instability and ran out the game.

I also think there may have been a method to sending him back out there, but I'm far too unqualified to put that out there on a public forum. Fact is the bloke was assessed with no instability and ran out the game.

I would be very surprised if that was not a "fact", and the onus is on anyone with a contrary view to prove otherwise.

We either accept that the clubs medical staff are adequately skilled, or we dismiss that notion, but it can only be based upon a reasonable level of evidence, which has so far not been forthcoming.

I would be very surprised if that was not a "fact", and the onus is on anyone with a contrary view to prove otherwise.

We either accept that the clubs medical staff are adequately skilled, or we dismiss that notion, but it can only be based upon a reasonable level of evidence, which has so far not been forthcoming.

My original post that started this was to highlight that the club is obviously aware of the perception and conversations that are out there about our medical department and this little piece was specifically designed to try and counter that narrative. If this was a completely isolated incident I don't think they would have put out such a video, or it would n't have been quite so noticeably a PR exercise.

I absolutely get what you are saying about accepting that the clubs medical staff are adequately skilled, but at the same time we know the club is doing a review of that area so that will put doubt in fan's minds. Those same fans that have seen the following:

TT come back on and play out the game after hurting an ankle and then be ruled out for the rest of the season from that injury.
JZ play 5 games this season and only finish one and in his last games reinjure the same hamstring he did in his fourth game of the season.
Cunners come back from a back injury only to have it flare up again after a quarter and now he is a big chance to miss the rest of the season.
Will Walker has only just got back after missing over 700 days for what our medical team told us was a minor PCL injury.
EVW did his knee over 16 months ago and is only just available for selection.
Flynn Perez injured his knee at the beginning of last season and is only just available for selection.
There are other examples.

The truth is I think the trust between fans and the club on medical issues is pretty fragile right now. Merlin007 may be wrong but he is certainly not alone in being skeptical of our medical department.

Will Walker has only just got back after missing over 700 days for what our medical team told us was a minor PCL injury.
Flynn Perez injured his knee at the beginning of last season and is only just available for selection.

Do you think some of these are us not understanding how the AFL medical industry works?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the surgeons (who mostly dictate the need for surgery and the recovery, working with our physios) consultants who aren't on the books of any one particular club?

Do you think some of these are us not understanding how the AFL medical industry works?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the surgeons (who mostly dictate the need for surgery and the recovery, working with our physios) consultants who aren't on the books of any one particular club?

You could be right. I am claiming no medical knowledge. Just talking about the perception that I believe the club is dealing with. Running their own review also feeds into that perception. It is an area where the fans are cynical at the moment because it feels like a two to three-year issue. That will be forgotten if we get a good run with a healthy list next year.

Those same fans that have seen the following:

TT come back on and play out the game after hurting an ankle and then be ruled out for the rest of the season from that injury.
JZ play 5 games this season and only finish one and in his last games reinjure the same hamstring he did in his fourth game of the season.
Cunners come back from a back injury only to have it flare up again after a quarter and now he is a big chance to miss the rest of the season.

The truth is I think the trust between fans and the club on medical issues is pretty fragile right now. Merlin007 may be wrong but he is certainly not alone in being skeptical of our medical department.

Correlation does not imply causation.

Agree completely. It does fuel perception though.

I think you're referring to "misconception", and I agree. Particularly when it's given unwarranted oxygen amongst those who are highly vulnerable to classical conditioning..

Well, the Lions brought Cameron back on, so I guess there’s nothing more to see here...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Will miss you Taylor ❤

Poor Majak is even more dangerous on the ground than in the air apparently
It’s not like our key forwards have history in causing some downright injurious injuries to some of our more talented players knees/feet.

This is right out of the Drew Petrie play book.
And I quote the great man when referring to our former number 8, “if you lined up every single player at the club on a list of whose foot would I most like to trod on, he would definitely be last”.

I have this fantasy of fielding a forward line of

Taylor Larkey zurhar
Thomas brown Garner

All 6 are fit and in form and coached to kill. W. Walker and Majak and scott to rotate through.

Obviously it will never happen but what else have I got to dream about.

get back soon Curtis.

Everyone has a right to question our medical staff at this stage. The board have funded an inquiry into our injury crisis.

We’re essentially resting this guy for three weeks following his infield injury. It’s different if the treatment say involved surgery. But because the treatment is rest and then rehab sending him back out on the field achieves the opposite.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back