Toast 5 Lions in All-Australian Squad

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 17, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Tremendous effort by all of the team this year, but I feel the AA selectors have got this right so far. Realistically, I can see Andrews, Cameron, Neale & McCluggage making the final team.

Harris Andrews, Brisbane Lions
19 games in 2019.
250 disposals. 152 kicks, 112 marks, 98 handballs averaging 13.2 disposals, 8 kicks, 5.9 marks, 5.2 handballs. 20 Inside 50m, 47 Rebound 50m. 28 tackles.

Charlie Cameron, Brisbane Lions
22 games in 2019.
277 disposals. 204 kicks, 75 marks, 73 handballs averaging 12.6 disposals, 9.3 kicks, 3.4 marks, 3.3 handballs. 53 Goals, 29 Behinds (Equal third in the AFL in goals). 53 Inside 50m, 4 Rebound 50m. 47 tackles.

Hugh McCluggage, Brisbane Lions
21 games in 2019.
475 disposals. 294 kicks, 81 marks, 181 handballs averaging 22.6 disposals, 14 kicks, 3.9 marks, 8.6 handballs. 22 Goals, 11 Behinds. 90 Inside 50m, 36 Rebound 50m. 77 tackles.

Lachie Neale, Brisbane Lions
22 games in 2019.
688 disposals (Third in the AFL in total disposals), 275 kicks, 91 marks, 413 handballs (Third in the AFL in handballs), averaging 31.3 disposals, 12.5 kicks, 4.1 marks, 18.8 handballs. 10 Goals, 6 Behinds. 174 clearances (First in the AFL in total clearances), 78 Inside 50m, 36 Rebound 50m. 86 tackles.

Dayne Zorko, Brisbane Lions
All Australian 2017.
22 games in 2019.
490 disposals. 368 kicks, 86 marks, 122 handballs averaging 22.3 disposals, 16.7 kicks, 3.9 marks, 5.5 handballs. 22 Goals, 15 Behinds. 142 Inside 50m, 26 Rebound 50m. 147 tackles (Third in the AFL in tackles).

Not sure McCluggage makes the final cut, though he's become slightly more likely given some of the media lobbying.

Looking at the squad it is hard to see some of those defenders getting picked above Rich. It looks like they prioritised intercept marking this year, instead of rebound.

Rich should have been included instead of Talia at very least . he has had a great season

Looking at the squad it is hard to see some of those defenders getting picked above Rich. It looks like they prioritised intercept marking this year, instead of rebound.
Thought the same. If you want a pick a side to actually play a game of football, you'd want Rich in there to distribute the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very disappointing for Rich.

I suspect Andrews, Neale and Cameron will be our only inclusions in the final squad.
Same; can't help but feel Rich was dudded and should have received recognition for his season.

Seems the usual players get nominated based purely off either the club's they play for or who they are.

Rich super unlucky considering the other flankers that were selected.
Is it just me or is there a serious lack of midfielders in the 40? I think everyone in our 40 will be in the final 22 - I can see them moving Zorko onto the forward flank. He had more impact this year than Gaj and Martin where they’re likely to be selected

Rich super unlucky considering the other flankers that were selected.
Is it just me or is there a serious lack of midfielders in the 40? I think everyone in our 40 will be in the final 22 - I can see them moving Zorko onto the forward flank. He had more impact this year than Gaj and Martin where they’re likely to be selected
Charlie has one pocket sown up. The other and the two flanks are pretty hotly contested. Walters, GAJ, Zorko and then you have Dusty and Danger who they love squeezing in there.

Having a look at the 40 man squad I really do think all 5 Lions are a great chance of making the side, doing up my own AA side I actually found it quite easy to get them in and not feel too biased. I agree with everyone on here, Daniel Rich is in the 22 let alone squad of 40, I'd have him in the side in front of Houli and Sicily.

Mark Blicavs, Harris Andrews, Bachar Houli.
Nick Hayes, Dylan Grimes, James Sicily.

Brodie Grundy, Patrick Cripps(C), Lachie Neale.
Patrick Dangerfield, Dustin Martin, Marcus Bontempelli.

Charlie Cameron, Jack Darling, Michael Walters.
Dayne Zorko, Jeremy Cameron, Ben Brown.

Hugh McCluggage, Ben Cunnington, Elliot Yeo, Scott Pendlebury(VC).

Unlucky- Prestia, Boak, Kelly, Ablett, McGovern, Macrae.

Unlucky- Prestia, Boak, Kelly, Ablett, McGovern, Macrae.

I don't think there is any way known that Kelly will miss out.

His form has been spectacular and apart from that.the meedja love him.

Also, I think Ablett will get another guernsy because you know……"Ablett"...… the AA selectors have a history of picking "names" even if they are past their best.

Paul Roos on On the Couch also had Rich in his team on the half bank flank and was pretty adamant that Dan was dudded. He also had Vlaustin in the back pocket too, which I agreed with (not just based off his close to BOG performance yesterday).

Paul Roos on On the Couch also had Rich in his team on the half bank flank and was pretty adamant that Dan was dudded. He also had Vlaustin in the back pocket too, which I agreed with (not just based off his close to BOG performance yesterday).
His biggest omission was Harris Andrews. Gobsmacked. I would rather have seen Browny or Lyon's team tbh. Don't take much notice of what Roos has to say most of the time.

Hard to have half back flankers and wings. When you need spots for 30 mids.
A lot of mid play half forward and rotate.
Apart from Mids you end up only Ruck, Key position FB/CHB/CHF/FF and pockets. Although sometimes resting mid there as well :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back