Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

We're getting our balls back.

If I were the club I would be contacting Ben directly and having an off the record conversation.

Something like:

"Look this situation is a bit f***ed.

We are happy to pay you a % more than you are offered elsewhere, let's say over 2 years and we can renegotiate when the time is right for both of us. There is 1 singular condition on this. You get rid of Rama. We cannot do business the way it's been done before where we're played off against other clubs and we'd prefer him to be collateral damage rather than you."

He is a quality player and getting unders for him to prove a point that could be proved in a way is silly when we could have a situation that benefits Ben and us and the one who loses is Rama.

If I were the club I would be contacting Ben directly and having an off the record conversation.

Something like:

We are happy to pay you a % more than you are offered elsewhere, let's say over 2 years and we can renegotiate when the time is right for both of us. There is 1 singular condition on this. You get rid of Rama. We cannot do business the way it's been done before where we're played off against other clubs and we'd prefer him to be collateral damage rather than you."

He is a quality player and getting unders for him to prove a point that could be proved in a way that benefits Ben and us and the one who loses is Rama.

Rama going to the media is the sole reason this has exploded.

Something like:

He is a quality player and getting unders for him to prove a point that could be proved in a way is silly when we could have a situation that benefits Ben and us and the one who loses is Rama.
If we are desperate enough, then that would be a consideration, remembering of course that Rama also manages a number of other North players too, so that would require them finding new representation as well.

It's not really a realistic approach if you weigh it all up.

If we are desperate enough, then that would be a consideration, remembering of course that Rama also manages a number of other North players too, so that would require them finding new representation as well.

It's not really a realistic approach if you weigh it all up.
Fair points.

I just dislike that Ben is collateral damage at a situation created by:

Paul Connors, Ralph Carr, Ben Niall, running to the media and Cam Joyce not having the wherewithal to pull offers when it happened.

Rama tried that sort of s**t and we have gone nup.

This is head on a pyke type stuff and we're going to lose a quality footballer because of it.

Not saying its wrong just, its rough.

Yes it's a sad end to years of mismanagement that eventually leads to Brown unfortunately being the wrong guy at the wrong time.

I hope he gets a decent offer elsewhere and goes on to play good footy, but I'm glad we're finally redressing years of neglect.

Fair points.

Paul Connors, Ralph Carr, Ben Niall, running to the media and Cam Joyce not having the wherewithal to pull offers when it happened.

Rama tried that sort of sh*t and we have gone nup.

This is head on a pyke type stuff and we're going to lose a quality footballer because of it.

I wonder if there is a "duty of care" (for wont of better terminology) between players and player managers? Does a manager, in preparing players contract particulars and aligning those with what potential suitors are prepared to pay, have to tell the player, "Look if you accept offer A from club, lets use * as the club, instead of offer B from your current club, as a consequence, I, the player manager will receive an extra 15%, which equates to $X more." (and btw, I used to play for *.)

That surely should be a requirement for the player manger, otherwise his/her advice is conflicted/misleading. I have no idea if there is such a requirement, but it should be.

Fair points.

Rama tried that sort of sh*t and we have gone nup.

On the flipside, you can also analyse what Ben was doing applying leveraging practices to a very good offer with the club that finally gave him his start and allowed him to be in this position. I have to assume that he's not without personal fault here, and he's certainly no victim.

I'm usually at the front of the cue when it comes to hooking in to admin's * ups, but that's not the case here.

Has brown spoken about any of this himself, or is Ramabumdumb doing all the verbals?

Has brown spoken about any of this himself, or is Ramabumdumb doing all the verbals?
From what l've heard Brown is driving back to Melbourne so l doubt it. Maybe Brady might speak to Ben again when he gets back. Hence the silence from the club atm.

On the flipside, you can also analyse what Ben was doing applying leveraging practices to a very good offer with the club that finally gave him his start and allowed him to be in this position. I have to assume that he's not without personal fault here, and he's certainly no victim.

I'm usually at the front of the cue when it comes to hooking in to admin's fu** ups, but that's not the case here.
I don't think that's what happened. We said three years, he asked for four, and before any further discussions could happen, COVID came along, there was a ban on contract signings imposed by the AFL, and before the ban was lifted, everything went to s**t and we then came back with a drastically reduced (and frankly, insulting) offer.

I don't think that's what happened. We said three years, he asked for four, and before any further discussions could happen, COVID came along, there was a ban on contract signings imposed by the AFL, and before the ban was lifted, everything went to sh*t and we then came back with a drastically reduced (and frankly, insulting) offer.

That is EXACTLY what happened.

You need to wipe the BBB glitter from your eyes mate.

Was he pushed along by Rama? Yes.

However, he did ultimately turn down that offer, fully cognizant of the details.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have finally worked out what is going on here,don’t know why I didn’t think of it earlier. Brownys agent is using the lesser known negotiating tool from the bizarro world”holding out for less money”.Good work Adam , you would have made George Constanza proud.:poo::shoutyoldman:

Last edited:
Ben brown is a big boy who hasn't really grown up. He is conflicted, he is conflicted between his loyalty to the club, to himself and his trust of the manager.........who by all definition, has been abusing him for his own power. If star wars is anything to go by, when you are conflicted between the light and dark side, you can never achieve the true power as one who is fully focused. Kylo Ren was a piss weak darth vader wannabe who cries easily and gets beaten by a girl who has never held a lightsaber. He only became truly powerful enough after he killed his manipulator, snoke and took the leadership by himself. Ben is a crossroad in his career in that if he allow ramanaskes to play him around, he will eventually be consumed by rama's treachery and when brown gets onto the right side of 30s, rama will simply toss himself as a ragged piece of used toy. Brown needs to strengthen his resolve, fully focused, complete his training and fulfill his destiny.

>27 year old adult male who was made to earn his dream the hard way through the lower leagues
>has endured multiple injuries he's had to push through
>coaches and mentors female footballers
>does large swathes of charity work
>Is a big boy who hasn't grown up

I really wish you would peddle your try hard s**t elsewhere.

Ben brown is a big boy who hasn't really grown up. He is conflicted, he is conflicted between his loyalty to the club, to himself and his trust of the manager.........who by all definition, has been abusing him for his own power. If star wars is anything to go by, when you are conflicted between the light and dark side, you can never achieve the true power as one who is fully focused. Kylo Ren was a piss weak darth vader wannabe who cries easily and gets beaten by a girl who has never held a lightsaber. He only became truly powerful enough after he killed his manipulator, snoke and took the leadership by himself. Ben is a crossroad in his career in that if he allow ramanaskes to play him around, he will eventually be consumed by rama's treachery and when brown gets onto the right side of 30s, rama will simply toss himself as a ragged piece of used toy. Brown needs to strengthen his resolve, fully focused, complete his training and fulfill his destiny.

Luckily, Star Wars is nothing to go by in this instance...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Luckily, Star Wars is nothing to go by in this instance...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Heretical nonsense, star wars is everywhere around, only if you care to take notice.

Brown is a conflicted individual, he will never break the bondage unless he can kill the metaphorical dark prescence controlling him and fully take charge of his own destiny or forever be a pawn of some else's game. To others, he is just a piece on the chessboard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back