Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

Love BBB. Love him. Played alright again today. BUT.....

I'm not calling him a "diver" but he might be a "collapser". I reckon the last two weeks he's gone to ground a little bit easily when he's gotten some contact. Needs to hold his ground a bit stronger.
I don't agree with this sudden line of thinking thats been doing the rounds in the footy world recently.

He's just your typical lanky bloke who is easily knocked off balance. Theres a reason he doesn't try and stand and wrestle despite his size and weight.

He exaggerates no more than any other key forward does, and even if he did I wouldn't blame him, he's constantly blocked, held or chopped at and not paid the free.

People seem to point out that he receives the most frees as a key forward as if that's somehow a defense against the claim he doesn't get paid enough frees, but the reality is we go to Brown so many more times than other teams go to their KPF, naturally he's going to get some, but its the large amount that are being ignored that are the issue.

Last edited:
Underestimate him at your peril. He would be a wonderful addition to our forward line if he was available. Very accurate shot, reads the play well, perhaps the most dangerous around goals forward in the competition.

never said I under estimated him. actually my favourite Dawks player. just shocked he had so many goals.

• Ben Brown is one of the best endurance athletes in the AFL
SAM LANDSBERGER, Herald Sun
July 9, 2018 7:19pm
Subscriber only

BEN Brown has run the equivalent of a marathon in his past three matches … and then some.

The North Melbourne spearhead has clocked up 46.1kms on the GPS, ranking No. 1 for ground covered in every match.

In fact, you have to go back to Round 11 — when Brisbane’s Oscar McInerney clocked 16.5km — for Brown to be dislodged as the game’s top runner.

“At school I was always in the top couple at cross-country, but I was always dead last in the 100m sprint,” Brown told the Herald Sun.

“I’ve always had that element of being more of an endurance-style athlete, rather than a sprinter.”

Since Round 13 last season, Brown has played 15 games where he has not come to the interchange bench.

It is that work-rate which adds another dimension to the goalkicking superstar Brown has become.

With Sam Gibson gone, the 200cm and 101kg Brown is the Kangaroos’ best runner.

fae9e841c950a2478fa686bd7eaa6bcd

Ben Brown is having a brilliant year for the Kangaroos. Picture: Getty Images

“It doesn’t necessarily mean I’m running to amazing spots or anything like that,” he said.

“The way I’ve always done it is I’ve tried to stay on the move. (My GPS) is normally around the 15km mark.”

The Coleman Medal favourite has slotted 46.17 this season and is targeted inside 50m more than any other player in the AFL.

Brown — who has interviewed Mike Sheahan for Open Ben on Fox Footy on Tuesday — said he takes 80-100 shots for goal at training every week, and even more in pre-season.

But Brown, 25, wasn’t fazed at the prospect of becoming North’s first Coleman winner since John Longmire (1990).

“I don’t think it really matters too much to me,” he said.

“It’s about a lot more than kicking goals and that’s what my teammates and my coach’s value. I’m focused on doing the best things by the team so we can be around come finals time, because we don’t want to be missing out on finals like we did last year.

“We want to give ourselves a real shot to win the premiership this year.”

Brown, who has turned vegan this year, holds a seven-goal lead on Buddy Franklin leading into Round 17 and North’s clash against Sydney at Etihad Stadium.

“People don’t believe me but I’ve said for ages he’s an unbelievable endurance athlete,” coach Brad Scott said.

3fb8faa0f2f1a90a624e2cc1da14ee01

“I remember speaking to my brother, who was coaching International Rules and wanted Ben Brown in the team, and the only concern was it’s a fast game.

“I said he’ll have no problem, because he’s an elite runner. Chris (Scott) and Ross (Lyon) were both surprised with his work-rate in that game and he just brings it at AFL level.

“Everyone sees the marking and goals but he’s invaluable on the defensive side as well.”

He will destroy the competition if they ever bring in a density rule so he can't get triple teamed.
having a good match up for a power forward will always be of benifit, we struccled bigtime before Taz developed as a backman that caould match it with bug forwards, i recall Cloke and Porkins giving us a lot of trouble a little while back, Jonas matched prolly best against BBB in 1 on 1 contests this year, otherwise teams have had to go the tripple tag.

The density rule doesn’t stop clubs from dropping numbers back.

True, but if you're a gun forward in a team who can move the ball quickly and meaningfully through the middle of the ground then you should have more space to work in. Unfortunately for our gun forward, we don't move the ball quickly and meaningfully through the middle of the ground.

True, but if you're a gun forward in a team who can move the ball quickly and meaningfully through the middle of the ground then you should have more space to work in. Unfortunately for our gun forward, we don't move the ball quickly and meaningfully through the middle of the ground.

You're right it opens up the game and makes it flow more freely, especially out of stoppages.

ps: I want the density rule in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“We want to give ourselves a real shot to win the premiership this year.”

Bravo Ben.

Sick of hearing messages over the years about just wanting to get "the process" right.

Frankly, concentrating on process above all else has so far got us jack.

An eye on the prize might help us push find new and creative ways to push past mediocrity, maybe not immediately but eventually.

How you cant be an effective forward in the same team as Brown has got me ****ed.
Turner and Hrovat arent within a bees dick of a damaging forward and I cant see them grounding out a career long term with the current output.

How you cant be an effective forward in the same team as Brown has got me ******.
Turner and Hrovat arent within a bees dick of a damaging forward and I cant see them grounding out a career long term with the current output.
Can you imagine the amount of feasting Bruest, Betts or Robbie Gray would do off BBB.

I always thought Boomer would see out another 2 years as that player. He would still be a 40 goal a season player at the feet of Ben Brown.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

How you cant be an effective forward in the same team as Brown has got me ******.

Imagine how many goals Peter Bell or Fruity Allison would have kicked at the feet of BBB.

Those blokes knew how to be genuine crumbers.

Any time we get quick ball movement and there's space for him to lead into, he is an unstoppable footballer

Shame we don't do it enough

We're more concerned with turnovers hurting us through the midfield, and it probably makes sense.

Until we can improve the quality of our skills and/or leg speed, we are stuck with the current program.

If Collingwood's midfield can make a player out of Mason Cox, just imagine what they could do with BBB!

• The 28th NMFC player to do so.
  • Of the 28, his goals per game average of 2.17 is 8th best - behind Murray 3.81, Wade 3.78, Spencer 3.10, Carey 2.75, Longmire 2.56, Blight 2.49 and Rocca 2.32
  • Of the 28, his 92 games to get there is 7th best - behind Murray 50, Wade 53, Spencer 62, Longmire 66, Carey 84 and Rocca 87.
  • Of the 28, at 25 years and 230 days, he's the 9th youngest to get there - behind Longmire 20y215d, Spencer 22y169d, Murray 22y226d, Carey 22y338d, Briedis 24y257d, Kekovich 25y123d, Dugdale 25y129d, Thomas 25y170d
  • He's scored more goals against Melbourne than anyone else - 19 from 7 games, but averages best against Gold Coast - 17 goals from 5 games at 3.40
  • He's only ever scored 2 goals against Collingwood from 3 games.
  • His first 50 goals took 33 games, the next 50 took 26, the next 50 took 18 and the last 50 took 15
Expecting 50 goals in the next 12 games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back