6-6-6 - winners and losers

Remove this Banner Ad

Because the game was getting shitter to watch every year

It actually wasn't.

Now we have players and umpires standing around waiting for players to reset, there was also numerous times when a player was left alone on the wing with no opponent in sight and nothing was done.

They've brought in a stupid and unneeded rule.

Well, yeah. That's obvious. But I was referring to why they implemented a zone rule.

Think its pretty bloody clear, it gives the midfielders time to actually work a clearance rather and repeat stoppages in the centre with 100 numbers around the footy and it gives you 1 on 1 contests at either end of the ground atleast after goals. It promotes teams to go forward with the ball rather than back

You'll see the wingers take the defensive corner of the square as the season goes on, HFF will charge in from the F50 as well, What we are seeing now will look different very quickly.

I wonder if the next step will be to make a mid point on either wing that wingers have to start at so that doesnt happen

Think its pretty bloody clear, it gives the midfielders time to actually work a clearance rather and repeat stoppages in the centre with 100 numbers around the footy and it gives you 1 on 1 contests at either end of the ground atleast after goals. It promotes teams to go forward with the ball rather than back
I agree that the AFL has become an awful product, but I think for different reasons.

It's just personal taste I guess, some people like 1 on 1 contests and a flowing match, where as others might prefer a defensive claustrophobic battle. Like a grinding chess game, it's in the eye of the beholder.

What I think will be successful is teams which look to maintain as many 1 v 1's/break evens at the contest as they can for as long as they can, getting the ball moving forward quickly with fewer possessions per goal, utilising as many 1 v 1 contests as possible and taking advantage of the theory that the fastest way to move the ball forward is through long kicking, rather than running it in handball chains. I think any team which seriously tries to push numbers back as a general tactic will suffer badly for it.

That’s the initial reaction to playing 6v6 at each end but teams relying on winnning one on one contests as a means to transition from end to end won’t win many games imo. That’s an old school way to play the game. Modern tactics beat a 90’s game plan by 100+ every game.

Teams/coaches will still try to create a spare in Def or in the midfield or as a high half fwd, they’ll just find a different way to do it.
I can’t ever see the game going back to one v one across the field. Coaches will never let that happen.

I agree that the AFL has become an awful product, but I think for different reasons.

It's just personal taste I guess, some people like 1 on 1 contests and a flowing match, where as others might prefer a defensive claustrophobic battle. Like a grinding chess game, it's in the eye of the beholder.

Mate its only after goals that will open up, it just means teams cant drop 9 men behind the footy win the clearance and kick it into a 4 on 8 forward line that gets turned over.
As soon as a stoppage happens teams will all flood around the ball again and the defensive mauls will happen.
Literally just means maybe 4 or so times a game someone like Danger will win a centre clearance and it will be marked in the square by Hawkins. I think its fantastic

Mate its only after goals that will open up, it just means teams cant drop 9 men behind the footy win the clearance and kick it into a 4 on 8 forward line that gets turned over.
As soon as a stoppage happens teams will all flood around the ball again and the defensive mauls will happen.
Literally just means maybe 4 or so times a game someone like Danger will win a centre clearance and it will be marked in the square by Hawkins. I think its fantastic
Eh. I guess I should actually witness it before judging the rule outcome. It's just hard to accept that any idea that the AFL come up with is actually a good thing, so a negative angle is always applied to the situation.

Eh. I guess I should actually witness it before judging the rule outcome. It's just hard to accept that any idea that the AFL come up with is actually a good thing, so a negative angle is always applied to the situation.

I ******* hate rule changes but this seems a winner, its subtle without changing too much of the game and you can see the benefits

I can’t see coaches settling for a 6v6 in defence. Wingers will role back after the bounce, half fwds will role up to cover the winger. It’ll free up oppo wingers and create 7 defenders for the oppo etc. The tactical thinking of current day coaches will negate the rules as to suit their needs otherwise and the better ones will do it sooner so
I see teams with better coaches having better 2019 seasons due to this.

Well that sounds easy.

It will still take 30 odd seconds for these forwards and wingers to 'roll back'. And unlike previously they won't start in the perfect flooding position. Forwards will learn new tactics to position themselves one on one so any effective flooding will take longer to put in place, i.e. more than 30 seconds.

In a game with 20 goals scored that equates to 24 x 30 seconds so 12 minutes of open play we didn't have previously.

The kick out from a point will also open things up much more, kick outs will now reach 10+ m further than before and happen faster.

The AFL has taken away several key defensive tactics. Sure others will evolve but the game will open up.

You'll see the wingers take the defensive corner of the square as the season goes on, HFF will charge in from the F50 as well, What we are seeing now will look different very quickly.
I think you are right.

Things will evolve quickly. It possibly means those teams with strong strategic coaching ability will have an advantage

Well that sounds easy.

It will still take 30 odd seconds or these forwards and wingers to 'roll back'. And unlike previously they won't start in the perfect flooding position. Forwards will learn new tactics to position themselves one on one so any effective flooding will take longer to put in place, i.e. more than 30 seconds.

In a game with 20 goals scored that equates to 24 x 30 seconds so 12 minutes of open play we didn't have previously.

The kick out from a point will also open things up much more, kick outs will now reach 10+ m further than before and happen faster.

The AFL has taken away several key defensive tactics. Sure others will evolve but the game will open up.

If wingers start at the further est defensive point of the square that theyre allowed to, they are literally a few metres away from defensive 50. Given that most AFL players can cover 20metres in 3 seconds I dont think having 1 or 2 extras inside 50 is going to be difficult under the new rules

I actually dont think this rule will have much of an effect if any at all.

If you are trying to stem the tide you setup your two wingers defensively, as soon as the ball is bounced one can bolt bolt into position as the spare, the other can either do the same if it looks like a long kick is coming down or, if one of the mids breaks forward, he can then rush to the ball carrier closing up space.

Just bc teams arent using their wingers to affect in jlt, doesnt mean the coaches will simply sit back and allow this when it can quite easily be countered anyhow.

If wingers start at the further est defensive point of the square that theyre allowed to, they are literally a few metres away from defensive 50. Given that most AFL players can cover 20metres in 3 seconds I dont think having 1 or 2 extras inside 50 is going to be difficult under the new rules

I actually dont think this rule will have much of an effect if any at all.

If you are trying to stem the tide you setup your two wingers defensively, as soon as the ball is bounced one can bolt bolt into position as the spare, the other can either do the same if it looks like a long kick is coming down or, if one of the mids breaks forward, he can then rush to the ball carrier closing up space.

Just bc teams arent using their wingers to affect in jlt, doesnt mean the coaches will simply sit back and allow this when it can quite easily be countered anyhow.

Sure and then you leave a 6 on 4 for the centre clearance essentially which would be suicide

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure and then you leave a 6 on 4 for the centre clearance essentially which would be suicide

Not really, firstly you have 2 high hF's rocketing to pickup the wingmen, if the ball is in dipute for even a few seconds they will have closed the space. Secondly, good luck to anyone being able to pinpoint a free forward when its 8 on 6 in the fwd line.

Well that sounds easy.

It will still take 30 odd seconds for these forwards and wingers to 'roll back'. And unlike previously they won't start in the perfect flooding position. Forwards will learn new tactics to position themselves one on one so any effective flooding will take longer to put in place, i.e. more than 30 seconds.

If wingers take 30 sec to take up a defensive position they’ll be playing local footy within 6 months.
People are over thinking the new rules.

Not really, firstly you have 2 high hF's rocketing to pickup the wingmen, if the ball is in dipute for even a few seconds they will have closed the space. Secondly, good luck to anyone being able to pinpoint a free forward when its 8 on 6 in the fwd line.

They arent going to get anywhere near them if the ruck wins the tap down to a mid, hes gonna have 2 free wingers to handball out to

They arent going to get anywhere near them if the ruck wins the tap down to a mid, hes gonna have 2 free wingers to handball out to

Thats true and thats fine bc those wingmen will also struggle to find a free fwd to kick to(8 v 6) - thats a trade off Im sure coaches will be happy with

Thats true and thats fine bc those wingmen will also struggle to find a free fwd to kick to(8 v 6) - thats a trade off Im sure coaches will be happy with

Theyll be able to run the ball to closer to the 50 before they kick it though and get it deeper which will put the other side under huge pressure.

I think with the lack of an A grade midfielder we will struggle as Dew all last year was forcing contested footy and congestion. Miller will probably be called into more run with roles. Will wait and see for our JLT game today against the dogs and see how he and the coaches are trying to get around that fact.

Theyll be able to run the ball to closer to the 50 before they kick it though and get it deeper which will put the other side under huge pressure.

Its still the lesser of 2 evils for mine. 6 v 6 with the opposition on a run on or 8 v 6 defending deep? Id take my chances with the 8, besides, how often do sides get a pure or clean clearance anyway? Not that often.

Its still the lesser of 2 evils for mine. 6 v 6 with the opposition on a run on or 8 v 6 defending deep? Id take my chances with the 8 bc how often do sides get a pure or clean clearance anyway? Not that often.
More often in the JLT this year a *load

Remove this Banner Ad

Back