Strategy 666 - The Number of the Tactic, 2019

What impact will 666 have on the game?

• Major Improvement: Congestion will be gone, free flowing footy will be back!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some, positive: After a couple of months we'll hardly know the difference

Votes: 20 74.1%
  • Some, negative: It won't do anything positive, it'll just stuff things up a bit

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Major Negative: It'll be a disaster

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'll tell you after round 12. I'm not willing to put my neck out.

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

arrowman

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
(Post edited to allow for better info to hand re position of wings)

As we all know, the AFL is introducing the "6-6-6" rule for 2019. The official AFL statement / text about the rule is here:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-11/new-rules-revealed-nine-changes-for-2019

(I have edited this post to include the official AFL statement and remove the new reports I previously used)

Which would mean, in brief
- 6 players in each 50m arc;
- One of those players will be required to start in the goal square;
- 4 players inside the centre square;
- The remaining two players (the wings) must start on the sides of the square (left/right) and may not position themselves at the forward of back sides of the square (see diagram in the link above).

So: How do clubs - and in particular our club - adjust to this? What effect will it have on the game, and how might clubs best adjust their tactics to gain an advantage?

Will we enlist this guy
lucifer11-1.jpg
to be part of our match day team?

My first thoughts (this is off the top of my head, so be gentle with me!)
(Edited to allow for the confirmation of wing positions)

For the centre setups in themselves, there seems to be no major difference, except that the wings are restricted to the sides of the square. The only way a player can run in off the back of the square is if one of the 6 defenders runs in to that position at the first legal opportunity (which is realistically, probably too late).

So we may have seen the end of the "run off the back of the square" player.

The forward/defence structures, being fixed at 6 each end, may have an indirect influence on centre square tactics.

The ruck tap to clear space has always been a valued tactic (especially by BF posters!) - it may become more valuable if it increases the chance of getting a quick F50 entry to a forward line that is adjusted to / taking advantage of the fixed 6 players in the F50.

If one forward has to be deep (goal square), the quick, deep entry may come in to vogue if you've got a solid marking player in that position - or at least one who can bring the ball to ground, surrounded by Eddie Betts types.

The HFF could be more of a lead up target, if there are more opportunities for the quick clearance. And/or they could be tasked to move up the ground at the first legal opportunity (when the ball is bounced? First touch? Don't know when that is) - PROVIDED the team is comfortable with them possibly leaving their defender behind as a possible loose man.

This could also favour the team that is prepared to move the players up quickly and run a 4-man forward line? In the past, you knew at the bounce whether a team was running an extra player forward or back, now you won't know until the players run to their new position. For example, 2x HFFs running up the ground immediately, presumably with their defenders following them - or not?

As for defenders: I can see man-on-man starts being absolutely required, but what happens after that - who leaves their man, and when / under what circumstances?

Any other thoughts from the master tacticians on this board?
- Or any thoughts from the numpties like me? :p

Which Crows players will be best suited to playing key roles in this new structure?

Last edited:
As we all know, the AFL is introducing the "6-6-6" rule for 2019. I can't find an official AFL statement / text about the rule, but it has been reported as:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-11/afl-announces-rule-changes-for-2019-season/10364702

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...o-recommend-on-wednesday-20180724-p4zt8z.html

- It has been said that one of those players will be required to start in the goal square, I'm not sure if that is in the final cut;
- The remaining two players (the wings) free to move anywhere outside the centre square and between the arcs.

So: How do clubs - and in particular our club - adjust to this? What effect will it have on the game, and how might clubs best adjust their tactics to gain an advantage?

Will we enlist this guy
View attachment 588505

For the centre setups in themselves, there seems to be no material difference. However, the forward/defence structures, being fixed at 6 each end, may have an indirect influence on centre square tactics.

The ruck tap to clear space has always been a valued tactic (especially by BF posters!) - it may become more valuable if it increases the chance of getting a quick F50 entry to a forward line that is adjusted to / taking advantage of the fixed 6 players in the F50.

If one forward has to be deep (goal square), the quick, deep entry may come in to vogue if you've got a solid marking player in that position - or at least one who can bring the ball to ground, surrounded by Eddie Betts types.

The HFF could be more of a lead up target, if there are more opportunities for the quick clearance. And/or they could be tasked to move up the ground at the first legal opportunity (when the ball is bounced? First touch? Don't know when that is) - PROVIDED the team is comfortable with them possibly leaving their defender behind as a possible loose man.

This could also favour the team that is prepared to move the players up quickly and run a 4-man forward line? In the past, you knew at the bounce whether a team was running an extra player forward or back, now you won't know until the players run to their new position. For example, 2x HFFs running up the ground immediately, presumably with their defenders following them - or not?

As for defenders: I can see man-on-man starts being absolutely required, but what happens after that - who leaves their man, and when / under what circumstances?

- Or any thoughts from the numpties like me? :p

Which Crows players will be best suited to playing key roles in this new structure?

This is a devilish problem.

Two clarifications.

Yes, each team is required to have a player in the goal square at each end.

Also, the players on the wing must start along the wing sides of the square. They cannot start on the back/front of the square.

Aside from this I think the changes will benefit the Crows and other teams with skilled ball users. It will be harder to clog our forward line, easier to move freely through the center at center bounces, and players with a pace/skill combination will be able to cut the lines for more effective inside 50s

Teams that like to clog the midfield, scrap and tackle will have a harder time at center bounces. I think Richmond, Collingwood, Melbourne and the Bulldogs will suffer as a result.

Two clarifications.

Yes, each team is required to have a player in the goal square at each end.

Also, the players on the wing must start along the wing sides of the square. They cannot start on the back/front of the square.

Aside from this I think the changes will benefit the Crows and other teams with skilled ball users. It will be harder to clog our forward line, easier to move freely through the center at center bounces, and players with a pace/skill combination will be able to cut the lines for more effective inside 50s

Teams that like to clog the midfield, scrap and tackle will have a harder time at center bounces. I think Richmond, Collingwood, Melbourne and the Bulldogs will suffer as a result.
Thanks, I have found the AFL announcement and edited the OP accordingly.

I agree with it being easier to move through the centre if there's no-one coming at you off the back of the square (but that cuts both ways, you can't use a Charlie Cameron type off the back of the square as part of your push.)

This rule should be (and I'm tipping will be by mid year) called the Crows rule.

I believe it will favour us massively.

In our defense we've setup with even numbers for a couple of years, sometimes we even let them outnumber us. All other teams use extra numbers.

So for other teams, when playing other teams, they typically both have extra numbers back and its often a battle of half back lines and the ball often just bounces between them a lot. For these teams, their forward lines will go better due to the lack of defenders, but their backlines will go worse due to the lack of assistance, that is they get no real advantage, it cancels out.

For us, we get the advantage of no defenders outnumber our forwards but our defense is unchanged as that's the way we've been doing it for years. So we get a net benefit from it.

As soon as I can find someone to put a bet on for me (I never bet I have no idea how to do it) I'm putting a couple hunjy on us for the premiership.

EDIT: I think the edge of the square thing is almost insignificant. It was only done a handful of times per game and then only a handful of the attempts worked.

Another EDIT: The key thing is to see how / if teams bother to try and move to a extra numbers in defense setup or if that becomes pointless because its too slow / hard. Will teams try to force teams wide from the center. Will the wings be stationed down the defensive end? Will the wings be separate from each other? Will teams try especially hard to get a repeat stoppage in the center to then reset with a normal extra numbers defense - I can see this one happening for sure - which will just stagnate the game somewhat.

Last edited:
The most famous satanist was Aleister Crowley.
The instigator of this 666 Alister Clarkson. Coincidence, I think not.

I think this will help us massively.

We ALWAYS start with 5 or sometimes only 4 forwards hence why we are outnumbered from a quick kick from a centre bounce clearance, our tall forwards aren't good contested marks but at least now they will be 1v1 for a short time.

(You cant see on tv that we run with only 5 forwards at centre bounces but watching the game live I check out the numbers at each centre bounce - it has been one of my bugbears, being out numbered in our front half)

Our defenders are good enough for 1v1 without us having to run the loose man off the back of the square.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess something new to look forward to, along with the number one priority for us - keeping the injury toll down to a minimum!

I guess overall the new rules are to allow more space for mids at centre bounces, and hopefully with this, we get more free flowing play and less ball ups...?

Overall I think, the new rules will favour teams who have a well rounded team and no major weak links in the 3 zones - forward, midfield and defense. Also teams with stronger ruck/mid combinations will likely dominate more than the typical dominance. So here's hoping Sauce can get his act together for 2019, injuries remain the barest of minimum *fingers crossed*, then we should hopefully fare well with our midfield stocks and well rounded forward/defensive zones.

Can't really see the new rules going to alter to much of the Finals makeup similar to 2018, except hopefully us pushing for a Finals berth.

(Post edited to allow for better info to hand re position of wings)

As we all know, the AFL is introducing the "6-6-6" rule for 2019. The official AFL statement / text about the rule is here:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-11/new-rules-revealed-nine-changes-for-2019

(I have edited this post to include the official AFL statement and remove the new reports I previously used)

- One of those players will be required to start in the goal square;
- The remaining two players (the wings) must start on the sides of the square (left/right) and may not position themselves at the forward of back sides of the square (see diagram in the link above).

Will we enlist this guy
View attachment 588505

(Edited to allow for the confirmation of wing positions)

For the centre setups in themselves, there seems to be no major difference, except that the wings are restricted to the sides of the square. The only way a player can run in off the back of the square is if one of the 6 defenders runs in to that position at the first legal opportunity (which is realistically, probably too late).

So we may have seen the end of the "run off the back of the square" player.

The forward/defence structures, being fixed at 6 each end, may have an indirect influence on centre square tactics.

- Or any thoughts from the numpties like me?

When I spoke with one of our coaches a month or so ago this was a topic we spoke about.

The Bullet (player running from "CHB") is effectively done.

He did tell me there are some strategies they are working on. They even tested a couple in the final couple of games.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The new rules will punish teams with poor ruckmen, like the effort Sauce served up against Grundy where he didn't even bother jumping against him.

Players like Smith should thrive though.

at smaller grounds like the SCG, the 50 arc practically touches the centre square so the changes will be less relevant?

I'm assuming that coaches will have 5 of the defenders lined up on the defensive 50m line. But will the forwards match up on them, or will they fall back towards the goals to potentially take advantage of the quick entry into the 50?

Interesting times...

My biggest concern is, just how are Port going to get 18 men back behind CHB in time, you know, to remain in the top4 best defence in the universe.
And yet Jeremy McGovern still got a virtually uncontested grab at the ball to end their season.

The most famous satanist was Aleister Crowley.
The instigator of this 666 Alister Clarkson. Coincidence, I think not.

And Clarkson lauded us for our brand of footy. He said its how the game should be played.

And he came up with an idea to help that. He thinks the victorian brand is s**t. He has pedigree in the sanfl. He would know.

West Coast Hard to beat with their half back line. Reading of the play important. Poor jake the snake will be to slow to play his intercept role.

Walker very smart footballer may go close to the Coleman. Most teams don't have an obvious match up for him.

You know how we kicked the highest score last year when Carlton played 10 defenders nearly all game? Lol.

This is the sought of s**t it will stop.

And yet Jeremy McGovern still got a virtually uncontested grab at the ball to end their season.

The last 90 seconds of that game is a season highlight. Gotta love the confusion and incompetence of Poorts defenders to suitably cover opponents.

The sort of slow moving train wreck you like to watch over and over again :)

Back