Player Watch #7: Daniel Butler

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon he would have a bit of an upside if he hit the weights and put on 3 or 4 kg's. He gets brushed off too easily and would allow him to go through the congestion rather than always around. He did it in the last Q in the VFL last week. He would be a much better player with a bit more aggro. Happy to see him go because he is destined for the VFL with us most likely, but he shouldn't be a give-away like Lloyd and co. last year.

Yes Carlton were completely honourable, and even if they weren't we should forgive and forget. Hell, we should even supply SOS the vaseline if he wants to do us over again. Don't care about Hogg and what was that club again from prehistory that doesn't exist anymore? Yeah that's right Fitzroy! No we don't owe them any favours and no some crap pick in the sixties for a 23 year old premiership player in a weak draft shouldn't be enough (And for record I thought the Yarran deal was stupid at the time, I was against it, but remember we didn't just screw ourselves, they helped us big time). But now apparently they want something from us, and personally I think there is nothing wrong in remembering the Yarran deal and demanding that prick SOS present us with fair compensation. Frankly I'm surprised you find any of this controversial.

I'm surprised you find the fact we rolled the dice on a bloke with known issues as controversial.
You roll the dice, sometimes you win win (Stack and probably Pickett and going back Cousins), sometimes you lose (Yarran).

We met them well before finals was decided.

Dusty met with Norf too. There’s a reason whispers get out about players moving clubs.

It’s part and parcel of the modern game, clubs are making moves (especially ours) 2-3 years in advance, so we should expect it from players too. It’s not disrespectful at all as long as while Butler is a Richmond player he gives his all.

Exactly.
Townsend was visiting SANFL clubs four weeks before the end of the '17 home and away season. Go figure.
It happens far more than is reported.
I have family, who worked until recently at an AFL cub. You'd be surprised just who and how often players from another club walk through the doors.

I wonder with Higgins now out for the entire 2020 season if we would re consider letting Butler go easily

The dealings with Butlers management and the tour of princess park would have been arranged prior to this news coming out

We're so flush for smalls it's ridiculous.

Playing now:
Castagna
Bolton
Rioli
Baker (could easily play forward/wing again)

Injured best 25:
Stack
Higgins

Depth:
Aarts
Markov

We could lose Butler and we'd still have a selection squeeze in all but the worst injury circumstances.

We're so flush for smalls it's ridiculous.

Playing now:
Castagna
Bolton
Rioli
Baker (could easily play forward/wing again)

Injured best 25:
Stack
Higgins

Depth:
Aarts
Markov

We could lose Butler and we'd still have a selection squeeze in all but the worst injury circumstances.

TigerImposter made a good point about Baker. If you look at his stats he stacks up well with Castagna and Rioli.

I totally understand he’s got his own career to look after, plenty of blokes tour club facilities and have meeting with clubs. Doesn’t mean they’re doing anything wrong or even that they’ll sign for that club.

However to be touring another clubs facilities the week before finals is rather odd, especially with him banging on the door.

He’s only a Rioli, Bolton or Castagna injury, suspension or howler out of the team.

It's not just any other team it's Carlton !! of all the teams? How could any premiership tiger leave and go to that ******* club LOL

disgraceful !!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually, I'm starting to think it's feet of stone right now. His hands have been pretty good of late.

Yeah, he had those feet of stone at the end 2016 playing VFL, looked horrible like he simply wasn't working hard enough in the game, then was extremely lucky to get one contract extension and the rest, as they say, was history in 2017 - Premiership! Some guys can be in the right place at the right time. Whoever he spoke to, whoever re-energised him back then needs to come back in his life again. He not going as bad as late 2016, but needs to find his groove again. He's lost the intensity he once had for mine. Injuries maybe, has had knee and ankle - something is slowing him down. Could be in his head Melman.

Yeah, he had those feet of stone at the end 2016 playing VFL, looked horrible like he simply wasn't working hard enough in the game, then was extremely lucky to get one contract extension and the rest, as they say, was history in 2017 - Premiership! Some guys can be in the right place at the right time. Whoever he spoke to, whoever re-energised him back then needs to come back in his life again. He not going as bad as late 2016, but needs to find his groove again. He's lost the intensity he once had for mine. Injuries maybe, has had knee and ankle - something is slowing him down. Could be in his head Melman.
Are we both talking about George?

Are we both talking about George?

My bad. Oddly, I'm talking about Butler in the Butler thread. Am I weird or what? (don't answer that) 🤣

My bad. Oddly, I'm talking about Butler in the Butler thread. Am I weird or what? (don't answer that) 🤣
I know what you mean. How on earth would anyone think that you'd be talking about Butler in this thread?

Exactly.
Townsend was visiting SANFL clubs four weeks before the end of the '17 home and away season. Go figure.
It happens far more than is reported.
I have family, who worked until recently at an AFL cub. You'd be surprised just who and how often players from another club walk through the doors.
Except the Suns.
Who walk out the door.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back