Player Watch #7: Jack Viney (VC) – 200th this weekend

Remove this Banner Ad

Feeling horrible that I may never see Viney back to his best against, I watched a highlight reel of his. I was left wondering how a bloke who's not even 6 foot knock over bigger blokes like they're bowling pins. Checked his bio on melbournefc.com and they have him listed at 87kg at 178cm tall. That's crazy heavy for that height. By comparison, Brayshaw is the same weight but 9cm taller.

Using my own anecdotal evidence, I began getting heaps of injuries after put on 6kg in the gym to put me at 84kg at 176cm. It's not like I did it in one summer and my core was lagging behind, it took me two years.

Maybe he's playing too heavy and all that weight and power is just too much for his skeletal system.

Bolded for emphasis. Whatever these flare-ups are, seems like him and Misson don't actually know, he's relying on them disappearing before he gets back out there. Sounds like another Dave Mis-diagnosis special.

Yep if they knew what they were doing, everyone would have known the general time line for treatment and recovery months ago. It's just turned into a pray and hope situation.

Feeling horrible that I may never see Viney back to his best against, I watched a highlight reel of his. I was left wondering how a bloke who's not even 6 foot knock over bigger blokes like they're bowling pins. Checked his bio on melbournefc.com and they have him listed at 87kg at 178cm tall. That's crazy heavy for that height. By comparison, Brayshaw is the same weight but 9cm taller.

Using my own anecdotal evidence, I began getting heaps of injuries after put on 6kg in the gym to put me at 84kg at 176cm. It's not like I did it in one summer and my core was lagging behind, it took me two years.

Maybe he's playing too heavy and all that weight and power is just too much for his skeletal system.

What about Colin garland skinny as a rake and had foot issues?

I wouldn’t worry to much about playing heights and in particular weights these days they are never 100% accurate.

Secondly why are we so pessimistic about this Viney injury, yes be concerned but we are all talking as though his career is over.

I wouldn’t worry to much about playing heights and in particular weights these days they are never 100% accurate.

Secondly why are we so pessimistic about this Viney injury, yes be concerned but we are all talking as though his career is over.
Right! No injury has a hard and fast recovery time, everybody will recover differently, and other injuries and issues are pretty common ... look at Harley Bennell, he’s injured his good calf while recovering from the other calf, it’s common.

Hit the panic button when it’s Round 5 and he still hasn’t played a VFL game yet.

Everyone is pessimistic because of a few major examples.

1. "Jesse Hogan will be right for round 1"
Barret on the footy show- "He will miss the season"
Melbourne- "No he won't, 2 week injury"

Misses season.

2. Jack Trengove losing all his mobility as an athlete after a foot injury that took nearly 3 years to recover.

3. Luke ball losing all his mobility, then moving to Collingwood and becoming a gun again.

4. Mitch Clarks foot falling apart at Melbourne after being told numerous times by the club he would be fine.

I'm still spitting chips at our club for letting him come back when he did. I just knew in my gut that he needed more time after the initial injury and that he was going to wreck that foot, and I posted exactly that. But no, "Jack was keen", so we believed him and let him play... Knowing how AFL clubs like to control the narrative, I think this injury is more serious than anything they admit to, and I expect it to trouble him for the rest of his career - hopefully not to the extent of ending it. I'm not expecting him back any time soon so I'll focus on the other players, that way it'll be a pleasant surprise when he does finally play again.

Right! No injury has a hard and fast recovery time, everybody will recover differently, and other injuries and issues are pretty common ... look at Harley Bennell, he’s injured his good calf while recovering from the other calf, it’s common.

Hit the panic button when it’s Round 5 and he still hasn’t played a VFL game yet.

Hit the panic button when he is actually injured and not recovering/improving match condition. Or the club say he has more hot spots and has to do laps on a scooter like Trengove had to.

Hit the panic button when he is actually injured and not recovering/improving match condition. Or the club say he has more hot spots and has to do laps on a scooter like Trengove had to.

The clubs lied about so much injury history before. As Tulip joked about before AVB has been 'progressing well' for about 2 years. Hogan had a sore back then missed a season.

Why people are worried is because they had the whole pre season to have him ready for round 1 yet it keeps being pushed back from playing JLT2 to missing round 1 and 2. That's about 6 weeks off their initial time line so that's gotta be a concern.

Whilst I get the rationality behind this comment, there is a pattern that has been observed before in the lead up to finally admitting publicly that a player is in more trouble with a foot than previously advertised; and that pattern is playing out here with Jack. It doesn’t mean panic stations but it is a bit worrying.

The clubs lied about so much injury history before. As Tulip joked about before AVB has been 'progressing well' for about 2 years. Hogan had a sore back then missed a season.

Why people are worried is because they had the whole pre season to have him ready for round 1 yet it keeps being pushed back from playing JLT2 to missing round 1 and 2. That's about 6 weeks off their initial time line so that's gotta be a concern.

It is consistent with what has been said by the club. The initial extent of the injury has recovered. But in the recovery process other areas in his foot were affected. That is the unknown, so when the club says 'All going well he'll be good for round 1' then that is true. Not everything has gone perfectly well although with foot injuries that seems to be the norm.

I do agree that it is a big fat wait and see approach but I don't think in this instance the club has outright lied.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair, I enjoyed this AVB update yesterday:

“He’s actually doing his first session outside on Friday, so he’s now done three weeks on the AlterG [Anti-Gravity] Treadmill. He’s tracking really well and feeling good, and is not getting any soreness in that ankle. We’re quietly hopeful that he’s turned the corner and he’s going to start to get some good work into him outside."

“He’s actually doing his first session outside on Friday, so he’s now done three weeks on the AlterG [Anti-Gravity] Treadmill. He’s tracking really well and feeling good, and is not getting any soreness in that ankle. We’re quietly hopeful that he’s turned the corner and he’s going to start to get some good work into him outside."
Anyone else just get Misson Bingo?

They should throw that ******* thing out. It’s clearly not helping us rehab guys with foot injuries.

Everyone is pessimistic because of a few major examples.

1. "Jesse Hogan will be right for round 1"
Barret on the footy show- "He will miss the season"
Melbourne- "No he won't, 2 week injury"

Misses season.

2. Jack Trengove losing all his mobility as an athlete after a foot injury that took nearly 3 years to recover.

3. Luke ball losing all his mobility, then moving to Collingwood and becoming a gun again.

4. Mitch Clarks foot falling apart at Melbourne after being told numerous times by the club he would be fine.

You missed:

5. The Prince's head falling apart

Remove this Banner Ad

Back