Past #7: Jack Ziebell [Part II] - retires post-RFC game/280gm&183gl/6yr captain - Shinboner - assaulted post-RFC game& in hospital - get well soon JZ

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't like the fact he lunges forward to handball to a teammate going to ground easily. It basically makes his man free if there is a turnover.

He does it so often and it looks like he is trying when in actual fact he is out of the play.

He needs to keep his feet otherwise we may as well only play him when its bucketing down in the wet.

I love the bloke, love the way he has played, he is a true shinboner

He must retire, give him a farewell game against the Suns. Simply can’t go on next year
Surely the bloke is smart enough to go to the club and tell them he is done? It’s actually becoming embarrassing for him now to virtually see him not be able to meaningfully contribute at the level.

He is trying but his body won’t let him compete.

Surely they can work something out where he retires and earns that last year of his contract money in another role around the club.

We need to start playing guys like Ford in that role and you would hope Comben might be able to get on the park too. Just not sure having Jack play on is in anyones best interests?

Man just way past it, how often does he end up on the ground.
Stagging for frees and providing next to nothing from a gameplay sense.
Our forward line is one of our main issues and he is right there, surely it's up to him.

it's senior players like JZ that have us sitting where we are.

Surely the bloke is smart enough to go to the club and tell them he is done? It’s actually becoming embarrassing for him now to virtually see him not be able to meaningfully contribute at the level.

Surely they can work something out where he retires and earns that last year of his contract money in another role around the club.

We need to start playing guys like Ford in that role and you would hope Comben might be able to get on the park too. Just not sure having Jack play on is in anyones best interests?

Unfortunately I can’t see him doing that with 12 months left on his contract…

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Could he be carrying an injury that he could get right for next year?
father-time-pointing-at-watch-vector-id102741490

It has to be doesn't it? Doesn't it?
Unfortunately I can’t see him doing that with 12 months left on his contract…

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Given he still has a year left, the first thing that needs to happen, which Noble should have done, is to stand him down as captain, and he can then compete for a spot on merit. I love the bloke's commitment to the club, but he needs to get the message so he can make the self-respecting decision to retire. Apart from an odd cameo, his level of output means we are currently playing one short each week

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think you're barking up the wrong tree mate.

First hand experience is he's a lovely guy. So I hate saying it but if he was team-first I think he should've voluntarily excused himself from being a captaincy option for 2022 (because Noble clearly didn't have the courage to do so) and only gone for a 1 year deal, relying on his merit to earn another year, Boomer style.

Instead he used the Tarrant list stuff-up to lever his longer deal while the club were too weak to hold their ground having now had their bluff called.

So relying on Jack to relinquish his 2023 spot out of duty could be a big ask.

Think you're barking up the wrong tree mate.

First hand experience is he's a lovely guy. So I hate saying it but if he was team-first I think he should've voluntarily excused himself from being a captaincy option for 2022 (because Noble clearly didn't have the courage to do so) and only gone for a 1 year deal, relying on his merit to earn another year, Boomer style.

Instead he used the Tarrant list stuff-up to lever his longer deal while the club were too weak to hold their ground having now had their bluff called.

So relying on Jack to relinquish his 2023 spot out of duty could be a big ask.
I think whoever comes in as new coach needs to tell Jack that it’s highly likely he is playing VFL next year.

It would be a sad way to end his career, but if as you said he won’t relinquish his spot or retire, then I can’t see it going down any other way.

I would rather him take the Tom Lynch route where he is on the list so we pay his contract out and he works in development or some other suited role?

I don’t think list spots will be that big of an issue given we still have plenty of blokes that need to be cut.

It would be a sad way to end his career, but if as you said he won’t relinquish his spot or retire, then I can’t see it going down any other way.
Without going all out "back in the day", this is a sense of entitlement that crept in during the Scott era. The era when players rarely seemed to get continual feedback or ever retired themselves. Every year it was a bunch of guys delisted and seemingly blindsided in the process.

Corey McKernan and Sav Rocca spent their last year largely or entirely in the VFL. Plenty of players performing far better than Jack such as Stevens, King Sholl or Crocker called time on their careers when they were still capable of performing. Laidley gave up a contract mid-year when a best 22 spot wasn't in play anymore and it was time to give someone else a go.

So we might need to temper the 'sad' bit. There was a time we had a culture of players who were club first, but those days look long gone.

Without going all out "back in the day", this is a sense of entitlement that crept in during the Scott era. The era when players rarely seemed to get continual feedback or ever retired themselves. Every year it was a bunch of guys delisted and seemingly blindsided in the process.

Corey McKernan and Sav Rocca spent their last year largely or entirely in the VFL. Plenty of players performing far better than Jack such as Stevens, King Sholl or Crocker called time on their careers when they were still capable of performing. Laidley gave up a contract mid-year when a best 22 spot wasn't in play anymore and it was time to give someone else a go.

So we might need to temper the 'sad' bit. There was a time we had a culture of players who were club first, but those days look long gone.
I just think it’s a sad way for your club Captain to end his career in the VFL. But as you have said if he won’t make the call, then he needs to be told wether he likes it or not?

We need to move on and if Jack can’t see that he can’t contribute then he’s a fool.

Jack has captained as many games now as Simmo has.
What sucks for mine is that he’s a loser captain. From 2017-2022 I’d say the last 3 years have been abysmal and the first 3 barely a pass mark.

Change needs to happen for the sake of getting rid of the stench of always being poor.

I just think it’s a sad way for your club Captain to end his career in the VFL. But as you have said if he won’t make the call, then he needs to be told wether he likes it or not?

We need to move on and if Jack can’t see that he can’t contribute then he’s a fool.
He won’t be captain next year so that shouldn’t be a problem him playing there

He won’t be captain next year so that shouldn’t be a problem him playing there
I guess my point was that for his sake he would be better pulling the pin.

I’m not sure many players that have played at the top level for so long want to finish off their career at a club playing VFL?

If he is happy to do that then all good. He would actually be really good for the VFL boys to fill that leadership void.

I just don’t want to see the club giving him games at AFL level because he has a contract and is a former Club Captain. He needs to earn the right if he goes on next year or bow out if he doesn’t want to help the VFL squad.

It has to be doesn't it? Doesn't it?
There was one entry where he was moving like a glacier, i dont do7bt he is trying his guts out but its like one of those nightmares when your running but your legs are in quicksand or a cartoon where legs are going but just not getting any traction. Sadly though still dont rhink there are a lot of oprions to displace him. Ford maybe given comden has replaced tayto as the perrenially injured player role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back