Past #7: Jack Ziebell [Part II] - retires post-RFC game/280gm&183gl/6yr captain - Shinboner - assaulted post-RFC game& in hospital - get well soon JZ

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Ziebell plays on next year to honour the final year of his contract then retires. It's almost locked in that we will be transitioning the captaincy to Simpkin next season too.

I can't agree with this. Our new coach needs to come in and clean up the place, Jack, Polac, Turner, Walker, Atu need to be sent packing. Yes they might be under contract but we just pay them out and move on.

I can't agree with this. Our new coach needs to come in and clean up the place, Jack, Polac, Turner, Walker, Atu need to be sent packing. Yes they might be under contract but we just pay them out and move on.

So, you suggest we fully pay 5 players not on our list next year, plus all of the players on it.

Are you Collingwood's list manager?

Ziebell honestly needs to go back into his physical attributes... my biggest issue with Ziebell is when we send a ball 1 on 1 he often tries to suck in a holding free despite the fact he drags the defender down, stuff like this just doesn't cut it. He is physically quite strong and on a few occasions this year when he's attacked the contest guns blazing he has had an impact busting through packs. Playing for piss poor free kicks and not converting easy goals is a cop out for him to be honest. If he is lacking the physically ability to compete for 4 quarters then he needs to go.

So, you suggest we fully pay 5 players not on our list next year, plus all of the players on it.

See if we can set some records for paying out coaches and players. Not the greatest list management strategy I've ever heard of 🤣

they managed the transition with Andrew Swallow. From memory he handed over the capacity and the following year he played a role in and out of seniors and the VFL guys before retiring?

And relieving Z of captaincy might actually rejuvenate him in his final year ? ( ah la Tex walker’s form at Adl this year)

ok poorly worded by me, mind you there's not Treloar or Sleevo types on my list. Most of the players mentioned would be in the last year of their contracts and hopefully are at the lower end of the pay scale. My point is we do need to move as many of these types as possible.

It'll be interesting as to how Jack perceives his own season and approaches 2023.

Not a direct comparison but noted Jarryn Geary gave up the saints co-captaincy then retired midseason when he'd have felt continuing in either capacity wouldn't be in the club's best interests.

As mentioned the 2022 captaincy was one of Noble's failings from a long way out. It was time for a change - from a long way out.

Releasing the captaincy might help Jack in his last year.

Has he got the mindset for it? It would be pretty tiring to lead the side and maintaining good form.

If he wasn’t Captain he’d have been dropped already. A long long time ago.

Just so many signs the game has gone past him including the dropped mark early on which has become an ugly feature of his game, the needlesss and unnecessary fumbles including not being able to bend over and pick up the footy cleanly anymore, the shank kicks at goal when we desperately need a lift and the one that was really glaring was him being outmarked in the high ball by a smaller opponent who goaled in our defensive 50. That’s not Jack.

It’s just really sad to see Father Time creep up and claim him in the manner it has and we just can’t keep playing him in a forward line already bereft of scoring potency.
4 weeks to go and I’d love to see the plans for him in 2023. Something needs to be done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See Jack on the news with his Western United scarf standing behind Matthew Guy on the news ? Some western burb's sporting complex.
He's that slow these days that he's even behind in the news report :cool:

I think if Jack had the club's best interests at heart he would have gone with 1 year deals. Same with Tarrant which looks like biting the Tiges on the bum.
If you've been employed on real good money for many years you do not deserve the right to screw the club.

I think if Jack had the club's best interests at heart he would have gone with 1 year deals. Same with Tarrant which looks like biting the Tiges on the bum.
If you've been employed on real good money for many years you do not deserve the right to screw the club.
Another Luff Contract disaster.

That campaigner has been a big part of the mess we are currently in.

Resigning is too good for that muppet. Should never of been given that role. Sack the idiot that put him in it as well.

If the team was going a bit better you could almost hide Jack and let him coast as the 4th forward. Who’s got a more unenviable job, Larkey playing FF or Jack having to lead this team? Sad for him that his last years are spent losing every week. What a star he was for us at his best. Wouldn’t have thought all those years ago that our young, goal kicking midfield bull would end up barely contributing in a wooden spoon team.

If the team was going a bit better you could almost hide Jack and let him coast as the 4th forward. Who’s got a more unenviable job, Larkey playing FF or Jack having to lead this team? Sad for him that his last years are spent losing every week. What a star he was for us at his best. Wouldn’t have thought all those years ago that our young, goal kicking midfield bull would end up barely contributing in a wooden spoon team.
He has been coasting for year! very average player and we can’t move forward with him as captain. Must go, and I hate writing this about a captain, but he is awful

Remove this Banner Ad

Back