Player Watch #7: Liam Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

Taranto is better (and worth more in a trade) than Baker, as shown in last years JD medal.
One of the most versatile players in the competition, great leadership and two time premiership player already. Also with two teams fighting for him…

I would be asking for 2 x FRP. Personally I think his value is on par with what Tarantos was.

Nice to see new talent in BF. So you agree with all those mentioned old-timers, no doubt I'm in their move on too old for young fresh talent like yourself. Most criticize our failed youth system for holding on to oldies far too long and you are as happy with that as it seems. So if you are happy with the way the team is run well it's no different to BF:) To be quite honest it's the new talent in here that suffocated this board as in our society the native youth are taking over and doing ok. Give us a break you just might learn something.
Actually I think I am older than most people here. You do know I was just having a laugh?

Did anyone catch Gale's comments on Cotch's view on baker's and martin's contract?

Gale wasn't impressed
Maybe Cotch knows Bakes is staying and trolling the media?

To me it just looks like he's trying to get publicity to make a name for himself and lock in a media gig, it's a fairly competitive market for former players.

Unfortunately this competition has not at all resulted in an improved standard of commentary

I thought the absolute same thing when I saw it. If Baker and Dusty were sounding out Cotchin for advice I hope they learnt to keep their mouths shut around him in future. He knows that being their former Captain, that would create a media frenzy. The media has this fascination with trying to turn premiership captains into media stars. Majority get found out. Tom Harley didn't last long. Ling is just another nuffy in the Brownless class now, Hodge is good. Selwood and Cotchin are both dreadful.

Judd was awesome on tv but he's vanished, too busy clearing preserved natural habitat on his Mornington property to host Juddchella and locked up in his mansion cowering at the news that another P.O.C was seen loitering in Brighton. Used to take the kids to Cotchie's cubs clinics every year and he was so fake and bland with the personality of a dish cloth. If he was less arrogant, he should've spent a year doing the VFL honing his craft before attempting a prime-time gig. I tape it and fast forward to see if anything Tiges is on. No one I know likes the show.

Personally, I hope Baker does leave on big coin as the draft picks will set us up. The worst thing the club can do is get in a bidding war and pay way overs to retain him. He's a good player, but he goes missing a lot and is prone to butchering the ball. Bolton is worth every bit of the $800k+ he's on. To me Baker's a $550 - $600k p/a max. If WA wanna throw stupid figures his way let him go. People forget the very week after he signed his contract last time he took his foot off the throttle and plodded for the next couple months.

To me it just looks like he's trying to get publicity to make a name for himself and lock in a media gig, it's a fairly competitive market for former players.

Unfortunately this competition has not at all resulted in an improved standard of commentary
I don't reckon Cotch is cut out for it. Isn't a big enough personality and doesn't appear to have much insight beyond captain obvious stuff.

I thought the absolute same thing when I saw it. If Baker and Dusty were sounding out Cotchin for advice I hope they learnt to keep their mouths shut around him in future. He knows that being their former Captain, that would create a media frenzy. The media has this fascination with trying to turn premiership captains into media stars. Majority get found out. Tom Harley didn't last long. Ling is just another nuffy in the Brownless class now, Hodge is good. Selwood and Cotchin are both dreadful.

Judd was awesome on tv but he's vanished, too busy clearing preserved natural habitat on his Mornington property to host Juddchella and locked up in his mansion cowering at the news that another P.O.C was seen loitering in Brighton. Used to take the kids to Cotchie's cubs clinics every year and he was so fake and bland with the personality of a dish cloth. If he was less arrogant, he should've spent a year doing the VFL honing his craft before attempting a prime-time gig. I tape it and fast forward to see if anything Tiges is on. No one I know likes the show.

Personally, I hope Baker does leave on big coin as the draft picks will set us up. The worst thing the club can do is get in a bidding war and pay way overs to retain him. He's a good player, but he goes missing a lot and is prone to butchering the ball. Bolton is worth every bit of the $800k+ he's on. To me Baker's a $550 - $600k p/a max. If WA wanna throw stupid figures his way let him go. People forget the very week after he signed his contract last time he took his foot off the throttle and plodded for the next couple months.
Exactly
Anyone thinks bakes is worth more than 600k a year is kidding themselves..

Yes he’s good and we love the way he goes about it, his character and leadership is great but he ain’t very consistent.. he ain’t a superstar

Would love to keep him but not overpaying or turning down crazy high draft picks for him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't reckon Cotch is cut out for it. Isn't a big enough personality and doesn't appear to have much insight beyond captain obvious stuff.
Agree. Whereas Jack R is perfect for the media, he is a natural.

I doubt Baker or Martin would like hearing personal conversations they had with cotch revealed to the media

Yes its hard to see Chimp getting up on stage with a rockband and singing Mr Brightsides!

Baker is having an awesome season, hard to see him not being worth around $1 million given the company he is keeping.

Players that average 20+ Disposals, 1+ Goal, 3+ Tackles and 7+ contested possesions a game

View attachment 1967202

He was playing great last time he was out of contract too. Once the ink dried he was playing like Aarts for the next couple of months. Stats mean SFA since supercoach anyway. What I wrote below was his last quarter against the Blues, plenty of stats and chances to shine but nope he shat the bed repeatedly. He might rack up stats, but his disposal is p1ss poor, and I wish he was 1/2 as good as people pump him up to be. Reality is I'd be amazed if he's in the top 100 - 150 players in the comp. Probably would scrape into the top 100 players lately.... just. He's no match winning superstar. If you think he's worth $1mil then surely Bolton is worth $1.6mil+????

Oh and if you think he's anywhere near the player Bont, Rozee, Heeney, Warner or Kelly are you're dreaming. Try watch the game with your eyes wide open instead of looking at stats on an app.

Last quarter 7:48 to go off back of MRJ smother quick turnover catches Blues off guard Baker completely unopposed has Lynch 5m clear of his opponent 20m away any dud suburban footballer could hit him up misses him by 5m luckily Lynch mops up goal to Campbell. 7:20 gets a charity free I wouldn't have paid. Takes shot from 55m out even though can't kick over jam tin. Misses when team thing would've been put to top of square. 6:10 from 45m out on boundary kicks to Bolton on 3 opponents completely missing him Kemp takes easy mark unopposed. Pass was so putrid Bolton has zero chance to spoil.

5:06 steals MRJ free kick takes advantage ignores an unopposed Lynch 25m out and kicks over his and every other Richmond players head to Acres unopposed 10m clear of any Tigers player. HTF do you aim for Lynch earlier but miss him by the width of a barn but the blues player in Acres and Kemp later can easily mark unopposed right on the tit. Wtf wasn't it on their toes or 5m ahead of them? Not a leaders arse. Overrated as f@ck. Cash him in and trade him out. Terrible skills, no composure, just a scrapping plodder.

Last edited:

I don’t think so as Cotchin doesn’t need the money. He’s probably bored now and has too much time on his hands . This is could be the only reason he would do it as he loves the game and is missing it , so wants to be involved in some capacity.

Personally i dont believe chimp would throw things up that he doesnt believe for the purpose of self promotion

He would know if Dusty is leaving but i think he believes the money Baker is being offered is too good to refuse for a player like baker who wouldnt have been on much in the first 5 years and now is the times to cash in.

I don’t think so as Cotchin doesn’t need the money. He’s probably bored now and has too much time on his hands . This is could be the only reason he would do it as he loves the game and is missing it , so wants to be involved in some capacity.

You never know anyone's true financial situation. A couple of failed businesses put a dent on anyone's funds. And no idea if his gyms are thriving or going bust. Let alone that ludicrous sock company 🤣 my mates the biggest Cotchin fanboy but was filthy being forced to buy the socks for his daughters school.

Neither Baker or Dusty seem like the type that would desert the 'ship'.

Don't forget the ave wage is going to be around $500k in next few years (so Taranto $700k will be a steal).

Bakes worth $750-800k on that premise - if he's being offered $1mil, $200K Diff, half in tax - he stays under those circumstances for mine.

Easy to get sedused by draft picks - trying to get a draft pick that 'may' get us another .... Baker!

Dusty will stay for one more, Bakes will stay for another two - is my tip.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back